Innovative Marine Aquariums

4 minutes ago, righttirefire said:

I thought this was you. Just wanted to say hi and complicate your setup. Looks good man

Appreciate it! and yes local Oregonian here. I don't post much on PNWMAS 

Been doing some reading around and am going to try and run without carbon. 

I figure with all the flow, rock, lighter bioload, refugium, skimmer, and purigen I should be alright without carbon. 

We'll see how the tank reacts! I read anecdotes that people's corals exploded so who knows 🤷‍♂️

Do you guys think I should move my Nero to the other side of the tank? Obviously I could just do it and see but I would rather not move it and deal with all the wire organization haha and wanted some input first. 

Thoughts? Comments? Insults? 😄 

Pointing them at each other is a great way to get more-random flow, but it really does depend on your tank and what the animals in it seem to need. Also why run carbonless, it essentially just pulls out carbon-based organics which are mostly either dead-end and not utilized or harmful to your corals. Pulling carbon for others likely had no effect and instead they used it as an excuse to slack on maintenance and had the "first-dirty-tank" boom in growth that tons of folks experience (this can be rapidly followed by stalls and declines if folks choose to continue not maintaining things) @seabass just mentioned something similar a few-weeks back.

My .02, it's more-likely nobody quite knows-for-sure, but nobody would be running carbon in the first place if it killed coral growth methinks.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Amphrites said:

Pointing them at each other is a great way to get more-random flow, but it really does depend on your tank and what the animals in it seem to need. Also why run carbonless, it essentially just pulls out carbon-based organics which are mostly either dead-end and not utilized or harmful to your corals. Pulling carbon for others likely had no effect and instead they used it as an excuse to slack on maintenance and had the "first-dirty-tank" boom in growth that tons of folks experience (this can be rapidly followed by stalls and declines if folks choose to continue not maintaining things) @seabass just mentioned something similar a few-weeks back.

My .02, it's more-likely nobody quite knows-for-sure, but nobody would be running carbon in the first place if it killed coral growth methinks.

Oh I see I see 👀 yeah your points seem solid. I'll most likely throw carbon back in because I do love my clear water 🙂 as for flow yeah I guess I can play around with it. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

Yes agreed. I enjoy the macro shots but really like FTS to show where every thing is the tank. 

Okay! I take a good handful of different angles tonight when the beer is flowing the 🌴 burning 😎

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

#dowhatevermakesyouhappybud

A $450 scoly would make me happy 🤔

On 11/11/2019 at 2:08 PM, dvs1986 said:

haven't started a journal yet. Im still deciding on a heater (cobalt neotherms have a bad rep, and are hard to find, but people are hating on eheim jaegers as well. Heaters are lose loser it seems.) and whether or not i need a icecap 1k gyre, and thats about it. 

How's your nuvo coming? 

• Haha 2
45 minutes ago, Matteo said:

How's your nuvo coming? 

waiting on rock to show up on monday, then i need to have a weekend to move everything over (not looking forward to that) from my 25 lagoon. since the tanks have the same footprint, i'll empty the lagoon, swap out the tank on my current stand, and set up the 40. its going to be a long night.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, dvs1986 said:

waiting on rock to show up on monday, then i need to have a weekend to move everything over (not looking forward to that) from my 25 lagoon. since the tanks have the same footprint, i'll empty the lagoon, swap out the tank on my current stand, and set up the 40. its going to be a long night.

It'll be a fun one though! The build is my favorite part. My carpet suffers but I have A Lot of towels 😂

• Haha 2

so I know I promised more FTS pics. I did a water change and as you know the tank needs to chill for a second. Hopefully will get some later. I already overided my timer so the lights are staying on until I turn them off tonight 😄 

also thinking of adding a second Nero. Probably a bit over kill but even at a lower setting I would have MAXIMUM flow with 0 dead spots. Also a solid investment for whenever I upgrade to a larger tank because that is inevitable 😉

10 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

New scape looks great!  If that sand alley is intentionally angled, then 👏👏👏. I’ve been trying to get that in a scape, but so dang hard with the narrow footprint. 

Thanks! Yes intentional. I learned from freshwater aquascaping and making my leopard gecko terrarium that the scape starts first with making a cool bed/substrate. The flow of my tank where my powerhead is also helps keep the natural incline as the current bounces off the wall and cause a push and build of the incline so worked it out perfectly. 

The shallow part is also maintained by my big ass tiger shrimp which has built a network of caves under the main rock on the left and and the rest of the left side scape. 

I really like some of the scolys and lobos they have at my lfs but I kinda wanna keep the bed free and clear. Just how it is and of course the new bounce. Will grab pics later when it's not oober pissed. 

10 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Looks great. Hard to believe it has only been running since June. 

Already thinking about what's next.

Most likely twice the size sumped but that's awhile down the road. 

• Like 1

Sweet new scape! I'm also a fan of the "alley" look, I think it gives great depth which can be tricky in tanks without a shallow/lagoon footprint. I tried to have something similar in mine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1