Top Shelf Aquatics

Just gorgeous. I might have to look into lobos. My lfs never has any good ones, I think ill have to do some online shopping. Your sps mountain is looking pretty colorful. Jealous! 🙂 

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Amphrites said:

I'm amazed richard has been so well-behaved with all the nippable corals in the tank, and that juvie richard is just gorgeous - it's a shame those richards loose allot of their coloration when they mature. Glad to see richard gettin'-on so well with richard, getting a paired set of richards can be difficult sometimes, honestly the other richards in the tank make that orchid richard seem like a peaceful-addition, all your richards seem fat and happy and your corals continue to blow us all away.

Where to start... 

Richard hasn't nimbled any Corals yet and I keep him fat and happy so far so good! 

After discovering that the Juvi Richard will lose color and is becoming meaner he is now in a magical floating see through box awaiting to be taken to a new home tomorrow... 🤷‍♂️

Pairing the Richardson's wasn't easy. Took about 3-4 days. Used the magical floating see through box again and it did the job. Now they're the Richardson's staying at the Richardson Estate. These particular Richard's like to bite... 

The Orchid Richard is a model citizen and due to his max size and color he's a define reef must have. Royals get bigger and can be mean too. 

As for the tiger shrimp goby pair I'm not sure if they're Richard's... They really mind their own.. Granted Richard's are Richard's. 

And thank you for the compliment 🙂

6 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Just gorgeous. I might have to look into lobos. My lfs never has any good ones, I think ill have to do some online shopping. Your sps mountain is looking pretty colorful. Jealous! 🙂 

Thank you! I'm very happy with the different colored sticks I got going on and yeah it looks like a little mountain! 

• Like 1

I may have achieved Nano Reef nirvana. 

Been two weeks no water change, very minimal algae build up on the glass, tank and Corals are looking great and my fish are fat and happy. 

Cheato is still growing and chugging along too. 

All I have been doing is lightly blasting the rocks with turkey baster but after moving the flow around there's almost no debri build up anymore 🙂

I then dose with calcium carbonate and Redsea Abcd color kit along with dosing for alkalinity too. 

Feed fish every day, reef roids and reef frenzy about once a week. 

Thinking I'll go one more week before a water change and I'll probably only do 5g still. 

Has nirvana been achieved? I'll see if I can get some pics tonight. 

Cheers! 

• Like 5
51 minutes ago, spectra said:

Hopefully you didnt jinx yourself with that post.............. :biggrin: but nice to hear things are going good.............

👀👀👀👀👀👀

Now you all have me sweatin

• 2 weeks later...

Took some shots of the tank at night 3/23 aka 3 weeks 3 days no water change. Just been wiping the glass occasionally and dosing with ReefRoids, Calcium Carbonate, Reef Frenzy and refrigerated pods, Alk Builder, Redsea ABCD Color Kit, and daily feeding of pellets for fish and CUC. 

My lobos are some of my favorite. 

P1010684.thumb.jpg.5f344cf4ea26c6d124e5dbe9ddedea79.jpg

Look at the crazy colors of this lobo, easily one of my favorite corals in the tank.

P1010667.thumb.jpg.4f449327a6015cf8fed4a125a8fd1a6b.jpg

Sunkist Bounce Shroom is growing like crazy, basic bounce but the orange is a nice pop!

P1010683.thumb.jpg.96a6ec3d5c531debb76645c6dac9195b.jpg

• Like 4

Some more shots of the corals. These pics were taken with evening settings on my T5/Nanobox Hybrid. 

Torches Left to Right: Bubblegum, Purple White Tipped, Rasta, Indo Gold, Aussie Gold. Thinking of trading the rasta for a different type of torch but not sure...maybe just add a 6th one 👀. For now no hammers or frogspawn as I am really liking the torch collection. 

P1010666.thumb.jpg.e3d155cd1461f4649a7b78e3e628a19f.jpg

Sticks are doing great! I believe it goes Cali Tort, Blue Acro, Forest Fire Digi, PC Rainbow, Green Slimer, Green Lantern Acro, Blue Digi, Neon Green Digi, and hidden in the back right is a red/pink monti.

P1010682.thumb.jpg.cd383abef9f781d297a88c294c99ad88.jpg

Some my my other shrooms. I moved the Jaw Breaker to the right side of the tank to the left of the anemone and above the blue lobo. The blue shroom no idea, the green with red polyp thingies is some sort of indo shroom. You can also see my Gold Midas Zoas who finally have some babies growing underneath their two poylps. Talk about a slow grower. I have a lot of yellow zoas so when they grow in its gonna be sweet. Butt Munchers, Frootie Loops, Midas, Rasta, and some others I forget the names of are all yellow dominate or gold. 

P1010679.thumb.jpg.874282e3c50b46f7eba4f4bd4b22f4c6.jpg

Really cool bouncing rainbow shroom from a local reefer that I picked up awhile ago from LFS for quite a few pennies. It has double in size and is going to be a really sweet shroom once it becomes a monster. 

P1010678.thumb.jpg.8028566c9fd9d4ac4a556a5eb0fdd898.jpg

• Like 6

Cool Distant Angled FTS: 3/23/2020 (3 weeks 3 days no water change evening light settings)

This is one of my favorite angles of the Reef. Ignore the towel in the corner..... I use it to block sunlight in the evening... 

P1010665.thumb.jpg.359d5b2c0b66177f401e30f8aed83bda.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow 1
Elizabeth94

You have quite the collection going! Just beautiful. Idk why, but my eyes are really drawn to that forest fire digi. The PC rainbow too. Drooling! 

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

You have quite the collection going! Just beautiful. Idk why, but my eyes are really drawn to that forest fire digi. The PC rainbow too. Drooling! 

Thank you! Can't wait for everything to look not so "fraggy" 

6 months down the road hopefully things are starting to fill in. Now to just not mess it up 😭👀😬

• Haha 1
mitten_reef
7 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Thank you! Can't wait for everything to look not so "fraggy" 

6 months down the road hopefully things are starting to fill in. Now to just not mess it up 😭👀😬

I think you said that a few months ago, 😂. Or maybe that was me telling you that. Now you know why my tank is a perpetual frag city. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

I think you said that a few months ago, 😂. Or maybe that was me telling you that. Now you know why my tank is a perpetual frag city. 

At least I don't have them Nasty frag racks in the DT... 

Shameful 😘

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Absolutely TOTM contender. In just a few more months. Around the one year anniversary. You can start to practice writing your acceptance speech. 

Woah! Thanks! 

I do feel like it maybe getting ready for TOTM but I need the Corals to fill in more first! 

Mad appreciate the compliment. 

Granted 3 months is the 1 year anniversary of this setup so ya never know 👀🎉

Well, I finally did a water change yesterday. 

Recently got laid off due to covid-19 basically wiping our business to nothing in terms of profits so me the sales rep had to go along with 50% of our team. 

Financially all be fine for awhile to float by and I'm already working with a recruiter and on LinkedIn. Feel free to connect with me if you're on LinkedIn! Matteo Merolla you'll find me. 

Anyway enough sappy sob story! 

Did a 5g water change yesterday, filled the 6g soy sauce bucket ato res. Scrubbed the whole tank, blasted all the rocks, stirred up the whole sand bed, put the power heads to 100% for a minute, clean the skimmer, new filter floss. Dosed adding new water with calcium carbonate, abcd color kit, and alk builder. I also threw a small splash of plant flourish to help with the photosynthetics in the corals but also to give the cheato a boost. 

That's really all for now. Tank looks the same as it did from the fts besides a moved a couple mushrooms around. 

Hope you are all safe! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
sam_the_reefer

Sad to hear about the job. 😞 Still lucky you're in a first-world country and at least have the finances, prospects, and a very nice tank to tide over.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, xellos88 said:

Sad to hear about the job. 😞 Still lucky you're in a first-world country and at least have the finances, prospects, and a very nice tank to tide over.

The tank stays very clean these days 😂😭🙄

• Haha 2

@Marine Depot as always excited to receive an order from you guys! Last June I installed Actinics for my T5 bulb choice. This years bulbs I am going to run these two Blue + bulbs. Should punch out way more par than the previous bulbs and the sticks should respond well. Excited to see what happens! 

Order Summary

Reorder

Order Number: 

Order Date: 3/30/2020

Order

Payment Method: Credit Cards

Shipping Method: FASTER Shipping! (1-5 Days) $2.99

• Tracking numbers:
SKU Description Qty Unit Price Total
Subtotal $39.90
Tax $0.00
Shipping $2.99
Rewards Points -$10.00
Total $32.89
UZ1109 ATI 24 Inch 24W Blue Plus T5HO Fluorescent Bulb 2 $19.95 $39.90
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! Hope you are all well and safe. 

I had a pretty big rescape happen to my tank which came out perfect. 

It really helped with the placement of Corals as my tank is LPS dominant. I turned the lighting down quite a bit but also replaced my Actinics with some brand new ATI Blue + bulbs. What a difference! Colors look great and the golds and yellows pop much more. But now many of my acans and favias are shaded a bit and my mushrooms are nicely organized to fill in. 

Added a pink goni and a rainbow Monti for my bday along with the ATI bulbs. 

I'll get pics tomorrow! 

• Like 5