Coral Vue Hydros

4 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

A 50mm is a good lense for overall shooting. But those close up shots can be had with a 18-55mm and some extention tubes. 

Extension cubes can get a macro effect for sure.

7 hours ago, Coolbreeze said:

i was reading some articles on reef photo's and they mentioned to use those on a manual 50mm lens, well at lest for a canon so I need to purchase one.

You can use whatever focal length you want. Mine is 90mm but there is a 30mm I wouldn't mind grabbing either... 

A 50mm is a solid lens which can be used for a lot of different things. The adapter that came in is awesome. All metal construction, manual aperture control and manual focus but so far so good! 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

So if you're choosing the aperture, does the camera choose the shutter speed automatically? What ISO do you normally use when shooting close ups of the tank?

Those all need to be adjusted on-the-fly unfortunately, it's one of the reasons the "iso & exposure presets" in digital cameras never worked particularly-well, one of the fun things you can do with a weaker or noisier sensor (smaller cameras or large/long lenses which don't let enough light through) is "reclaim light" by upping the shutter speed and then drop the iso to get rid of noise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

So if you're choosing the aperture, does the camera choose the shutter speed automatically? What ISO do you normally use when shooting close ups of the tank?

I shoot in manual mode so yes. The camera is set to shoot without lens since it doesn't recognize the lens without electronic communication. 

Once that setting is done its just like how I shoot my pics. Iso anywhere from 400-1250 depending on the shot, aperture is a manual dial ring but I leave it open to its fastest setting (2.8) this allows a lot of light in as well. 

For shutter speed I also shoot manual meaning I play with the appropriate shutter speed to adjust lighting and to help with crisp shots. 

Camera defaults to 0.0 on my aperture but only because it's set to shoot without lens. So I focus manually, aperture is open wide, set the iso manually, shutter speed manually, and focus manually. Along with a custom White balance setting. 

I do this for all photos only thing that changed for the lens is a smidge more manual operation but I think manual is a must for macros and crisp shots 

• Like 3