ReefCleaners.org

7 hours ago, 5*Chris said:

😫 The open spot once occupied by a beautiful piece of meat.

Still looks great!

I went vegetarian alright... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

A little update and anecdotal reporting. 

Out of nowhere some of my fish are showing signs of mouth fungus. Little white string flaky growths at the mouth. 

Luckily everyone is still eating, corals seem fine, and overall the tank is going smoothly. 

I started dosing Melafix (Indian tea leave snake oil shit) and so far no negative results. Just following instructions and dosing every morning. Skimmer off, no carbon, no purigen. 

The nems for a second will be super pissed and look weird for an hour after dosing but go back to normal, the zoas also will sometimes react but again return to normal extension and color. 

I probably have like $1.5k in coral in there so dosing was definitely scary and I don't have the means or resources for a QT tank right now. Let alone trying to catch some fish out.

So at the moment I would say Melafix is safe to use on reefs. It does say reef safe and other articles and forums said so too but ya never know!

Hope this helps with anyone in the same boat. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
On 10/3/2020 at 12:55 PM, Matteo said:

A little update and anecdotal reporting. 

Out of nowhere some of my fish are showing signs of mouth fungus. Little white string flaky growths at the mouth. 

Luckily everyone is still eating, corals seem fine, and overall the tank is going smoothly. 

I started dosing Melafix (Indian tea leave snake oil shit) and so far no negative results. Just following instructions and dosing every morning. Skimmer off, no carbon, no purigen. 

The nems for a second will be super pissed and look weird for an hour after dosing but go back to normal, the zoas also will sometimes react but again return to normal extension and color. 

I probably have like $1.5k in coral in there so dosing was definitely scary and I don't have the means or resources for a QT tank right now. Let alone trying to catch some fish out.

So at the moment I would say Melafix is safe to use on reefs. It does say reef safe and other articles and forums said so too but ya never know!

Hope this helps with anyone in the same boat. 

Do you have an idea of what the fungus is?

Day 4 of dosing and it looks like I'm in the clear. 

No more growths or weird white stringy things of the sort. All fish eating and very active. 

I think I'll dose one more day and then do 2x 5g water changes this week a few days apart. 

Yesterday I cleaned the return pump and refugium (gross let me tell ya) so now when I do my 5g changes this week I'm doing the whole nine yards. 

Scrubber, scraper, turkey baste, tooth brush, you name it all gonna happen this week to get this tank back up to spec! 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, SaltyTanks said:

Your macro pics look great. I want a new lens so bad! 

Not even using a macro lens for those pics! Adapter for the new lens comes tomorrow so excited to try it out! 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

What kind of adapter for you macro?

Bought on Amazon. My camera is micro 4/3 and the lens is a Minolta AF/Sony A mount so I bought an adapter to accommodate it. 

fotodiox_snya_mft_lens_mount_adapter_for_1534523762000_1413054.jpg

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Matteo said:

Bought on Amazon. My camera is micro 4/3 and the lens is a Minolta AF/Sony A mount so I bought an adapter to accommodate it. 

fotodiox_snya_mft_lens_mount_adapter_for_1534523762000_1413054.jpg

Didn't know you could do that. I also have a micro 4/3. I use an Olympus 60 mm 1:28 macro lens but haven't had a lot of great success with it. Let me know how you like your new set up.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Didn't know you could do that. I also have a micro 4/3. I use an Olympus 60 mm 1:28 macro lens but haven't had a lot of great success with it. Let me know how you like your new set up.

Will do! The adapters are fun cause it let's you put about any lens on our M4/3 cameras. Only downside is you don't get camera lens communications so you'll be shooting with manual focus and manual aperture which to me isn't a big deal and macro shots should be done in manual anyway IMO. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Matteo said:

Will do! The adapters are fun cause it let's you put about any lens on our M4/3 cameras. Only downside is you don't get camera lens communications so you'll be shooting with manual focus and manual aperture which to me isn't a big deal and macro shots should be done in manual anyway IMO. 

i was reading some articles on reef photo's and they mentioned to use those on a manual 50mm lens, well at lest for a canon so I need to purchase one.

• Like 2