Cultivated Reef

2 hours ago, second_decimal said:

lol sorry to hijack @Matteo. its always the most expensive ones that are the most sensitive. You think temp swings and nitrates made them susceptible? did any others get it too? Good luck with treatment.

Nah no worries I love photography it's interesting to read and learn! 

Yeah I think the temp swings from my heater sticking and nitrates where the cause. I have a finnex digital thermostat connected now. 

When the API kit comes in I think I'm gonna have to take the rock out and dip which is gonna be a major pain but those zoas I got out of a great trade and to replace them would be VERY expensive. 

My fire and ice and gold midas zoas are also showing slight signs. Hopefully the stable conditions and quick fix treatment I posted about earlier will help but come Friday we'll see if I'm gonna have to rerock and dip. Gonna have to re mount Corals too 🙄

Luckily it's just the Zoas. If any of my Lobos, Scolys, or Euphylia were sick I would mad panicking. 

We'll keep you all posted. It's part of the game honestly. When we think our tanks are running smooth little mistake like heater malfunctions and nitrate booms can really make a difference. 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Grundler said:

Lovely 40! Are you still using the same Nuvo skimmer? How're you liking it?

Thanks! Yeah I'm using the Nuvo Midsize Skimmer. 2nd gen. The new ones are great! Really simply design but mine pulls great skimmate constantly and is easy to remove, clean, and adjust. 

It's pretty quiet for the most part but obviously without having a sump you can really hide the noise as much. I don't mind a little white noise from the reef tank. Almost prefer it. 

But yeah there where a lot of skimmers to choose from but I wanted to go all IM. Mighty Jet, Cheatomax, and Skimmer. Thinking of adding a desktop reactor but we'll see. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
second_decimal

now you got me freak out about zoa pox and i am seeing a bunch of white dots on the carpet and stems 😨... everything is on little rubble pieces still and pretty easy to dip but..... they look really happy with great extension so im sort of torn if I should just leave them be and see if it goes away or dip..

you decided on the much more labor intensive, less desirable dipping method. Did you do the full tank treatment and hydrogen peroxide blast? what happened? 

6 minutes ago, second_decimal said:

now you got me freak out about zoa pox and i am seeing a bunch of white dots on the carpet and stems 😨... everything is on little rubble pieces still and pretty easy to dip but..... they look really happy with great extension so im sort of torn if I should just leave them be and see if it goes away or dip..

you decided on the much more labor intensive, less desirable dipping method. Did you do the full tank treatment and hydrogen peroxide blast? what happened? 

I blasted the zoas with hydrogen peroxide. As expected a lot of the Corals sorta closed up and were pissed but this morning everything is looking totally fine. 

I broadcasted some melafix and another reef safe anti bacterial. I also broadcasted calcium carbonate for alk raising. May do a small dose again tonight. 

Skimmer is going to stay off for 24hrs.

When the furan2 comes in tomorrow I'm unfortunately going to probably have to do a big dip for the two rocks. Let them soak. Rinse in another saltwater bucket and then place back in and glue coral back down. 

Not gonna be fun but I think it's my only options really. 

• Like 1

Dude what are you talking about ?! Your pics look like they were shot by a pro mane lol. But seriously,tank looks good. I got a T3i and surprisingly enough it has no trouble shooting under all blues. So what is your excuse 😘🙄 lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

beeea97c622c5614a80371eb0aece7082a3ff1b50421cf5acae3125c65ba5d8f.jpg.eb298d0fe06247066f9ff29f0381d321.jpg

So after some more research I found out redslime remover is basically the same thing as Furan2 but MUCH safer. 

ANNND I can dose the whole tank. Such a relief because I really didn't want to dip. Going to do treatment now and remove carbon and purigen. 

Gonna dose and let run 48hrs then gonna do a fat 10g water change on Sunday. 

Oh... 

And I bought another Lobo 😂🙈

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

your tank will soon become a pile of corals, just like mine. 😂

That's the goal! Minus frag racks 😜

Low key..... 

There's still some room on the sand bed.... 😂 

Since lobos are mean I think the remainder spots will be scolys. 

But we'll see 🤷‍♂️ in a month or so I plan on adding a holy grail. 

Trying to sell my green rainbow hammer to make room

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1
7 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

4 huh?  not enough room on the tank floor for all of them, feel free to send me 3!

U so funny. 

I have a total of 8 now... 

Pics or it didn't happen huh? 

I'm doing a 10g water change tomorrow. Maybe I'll do the good Ole post WC FTS 

I coooould take some pics now but they're settling... 

• Like 3

Shitty pics since the water was cloudy from stirring things up but you get the idea. 

Once I do a WC and everything settles I will get a new FTS and MUCH better pics. 

P1010536.thumb.jpg.9423d21bd4e2ae21ba685884ab5ac35d.jpg

P1010538.thumb.jpg.ca5be0bb597fbedbf5328996089ebad2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 2

I finally get to satisfy my love of lobo's vicariously through someone else's tank XD

They all look awesome, I'm not actually familiar with what happens when they grow into each other... I think with Hemprichii it's a crapsshot right? Sometimes they'll grow right on top of each other without issue and other times they go all echinata and try to eat everything near them?

That dark purple with the fushia highlights and teal center is absurd btw, incredible find.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Amphrites said:

I finally get to satisfy my love of lobo's vicariously through someone else's tank XD

They all look awesome, I'm not actually familiar with what happens when they grow into each other... I think with Hemprichii it's a crapsshot right? Sometimes they'll grow right on top of each other without issue and other times they go all echinata and try to eat everything near them?

That dark purple with the fushia highlights and teal center is absurd btw, incredible find.

Yeah my lfs gets great pieces in. My tank is easily 90% stocked by them. 

Yeah the dark purple with the red lines was a must have. Not super vibrant at the moment but crazy color patterns. Lobos are like scolys and get immensely color up under the right conditions. 

At the moment I haven't seen any chemical warfare or sweeper tenticals. Just feeder tenticals. 

As the lobos grow I guess I will just monitor and see what happens. 

You know, in this hobby I sometimes think we think things are more aggressive than they are? I mean lobos are supposed to be mean as f*** but I have had a handful of them for awhile with 0 aggression and sweepers. 

My Maroon Clowns are supposed to be major dicks but they get along with everyone in the tank just fine and couldn't care less. 

Maybe I'm just a high risk high reward guy haha. I mean I have a flame angel in a reef with close to $2k in coral.... 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Stunning! So jealous. I could never afford those. Probably for the best I would be starting at them all the time.

Honestly a good handful of those pieces were only $75 😎👉

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, Matteo said:

Honestly a good handful of those pieces were only $75 😎👉

I don't hate you personally, but I do hate those prices. Those pieces would be 300+ where I'm at and I'm not okay with it XD
A red bowerbanki is like $100 here... Bleeding apple an easy 250 lol...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, Amphrites said:

I don't hate you personally, but I do hate those prices. Those pieces would be 300+ where I'm at and I'm not okay with it XD
A red bowerbanki is like $100 here... Bleeding apple an easy 250 lol...

I must agree that some of these lobos were stupid good deals. My master scoly I got for $120 should have been $300 for sure. 

My LFS has plenty of scolys that range from 100-650 and yeah they have bleeding apples for about that price range $250-$350.

Just pulled the trigger because the lobos have been such a good deal for what they are. 

49 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

beautiful! I was looking at some button Scollys at my LFS last week but couldn't pull the trigger- $80. each

That's about what they go for at mine. I don't care for the buttons as much for their size but do plan on adding one or two more scolys to squeeze in there 🙈

• Like 1

LFS is holding a huge 75+ polyp colony of rasta zoas for me. Picking up Friday 😍

About to do a FAT water change. The Chemiclean Redslime remove did wonders. My rocks are free of gunk and it also frees up gunk in your filter areas and pumps/hosing.

Hopefully things will be nice and open so I can get you some fresh pics! 

• Like 6

All Corals were stupid extended this morning with the lights off and the water looks crystal clear. 

I'll get some pics this evening for you all 🙂

• Like 1

Had to pitch my Orange Hammer 😞 it developed brown jelly overnight and when I came home it was just done.

Luckily hammers are easy to replace. But it was such a nice aussie Orange hammer and not cheap. :c 

Part of the hobby I guess 😕

• Like 1
  • Sad 5