SaltCritters.com

Shoot... I still owe you all some pics and an update. 

There's been a few coral additions, a rescape like mentioned, and a change in power head position for better flow. 

Doing a water change now. Hopefully can get pics later tonight but for sure tomorrow evening when it's been 24hr post WC. 

Stay tuned! 

• Like 1

New Yellow Rainbow Bounce

716654497_CrazyYellowRainbowBounce.thumb.jpg.758b1de6700dc6e1ab189be857508ed7.jpg

Rasta Torch

Rasta.thumb.jpg.71ab44433f8b52ba90f6f538adda87dc.jpg

New Scoly (possibly a master as it has a purple ring and a crazy mouth. This is it closed up...)

P1010529.thumb.jpg.3ddbcc6a0c0e750f31d30240d2a29b00.jpg

A new year with a new FTS and Top Down 01/04/2020

Enjoy!

1781355316_FTS1-4-20.thumb.jpg.aa3a6aa2d2fffc086429bd57db24d802.jpg

• Like 7

one of my lobos lost a little color but I have been moving them around a bit to find the best spot. 

My ABCD Color kit comes in Monday. Super excited to see what it does!

How is my color balance? My brother said I need more blue now....maybe a Clam for the back center channel?

Aussie orange hammer is pissed from being moved a bit too... 

I am donating my Stunner Chalice and Candy Cane coral to a local reefer for free. Simply don't want them or the green the produce. Leaves room for some last minute higher end stuff. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Matteo said:

one of my lobos lost a little color but I have been moving them around a bit to find the best spot. 

My ABCD Color kit comes in Monday. Super excited to see what it does!

How is my color balance? My brother said I need more blue now....maybe a Clam for the back center channel?

Aussie orange hammer is pissed from being moved a bit too... 

I am donating my Stunner Chalice and Candy Cane coral to a local reefer for free. Simply don't want them or the green the produce. Leaves room for some last minute higher end stuff. 

Definitely need more blue, i don’t even see any. Just throw a colony of Cali tort or Oregon tort in there and you’ll be all set 😂. Oh yeah, and a blue maxima. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Definitely need more blue, i don’t even see any. Just throw a colony of Cali tort or Oregon tort in there and you’ll be all set 😂. Oh yeah, and a blue maxima. 

There's blue there 😡 just not not alot....

LFS has gold deresa clam with nice blue lips and patterns. Think that would be a good call? Or wait for a super blue maxima? 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Matteo said:

There's blue there 😡 just not not alot....

LFS has gold deresa clam with nice blue lips and patterns. Think that would be a good call? Or wait for a super blue maxima? 

Nope, zoomed in and still don’t see a whole lot of blue in there. 

Depends on how much you like that derasa and how many clams you want in the end. 

4 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Nope, zoomed in and still don’t see a whole lot of blue in there. 

Depends on how much you like that derasa and how many clams you want in the end. 

Are you color blind? There's like 4-5 pieces with blue... 😂💙

48 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Are you color blind? There's like 4-5 pieces with blue... 😂💙

Yeah, some accent blues, no blue as main primary color of the piece - you need the piece that you can turn off all the blue light and it still looks blue. 

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Yeah, some accent blues, no blue as main primary color of the piece - you need the piece that you can turn off all the blue light and it still looks blue. 

That's fair 🙄

• Like 1
On 1/5/2020 at 11:59 AM, mitten_reef said:

Bought a gold/yellow Lobo instead. 

Sorry 🤷‍♂️

My tank looks blue as #### already with the lights and purple hues so I don't really feel the need to focus on it. 

I like the look of the bright Corals that almost clash since they're so bright. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Bought a gold/yellow Lobo instead. 

Sorry 🤷‍♂️

My tank looks blue as #### already with the lights and purple hues so I don't really feel the need to focus on it. 

I like the look of the bright Corals that almost clash since they're so bright. 

I love yellow corals, they look great when they're doing well in the tank. I got 3 yellow acros and a couple of yellow rics, one acan with orange/yellow mouth.  I need a true purple, something like garf bonsai.    

find yourself a cheap blue tenuis frag or one of the two classic torts, you'll be in love with "true blue" too.  

• Like 2
5 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

I love yellow corals, they look great when they're doing well in the tank. I got 3 yellow acros and a couple of yellow rics, one acan with orange/yellow mouth.  I need a true purple, something like garf bonsai.    

find yourself a cheap blue tenuis frag or one of the two classic torts, you'll be in love with "true blue" too.  

Good call! 

Yeah the yellow stuff is just so attractive and I'm addicted to it. 

Looking at the Lobo now it's more orange at the moment but I severely pissed it off when placing it 😬

My ABCD Color Kit came in today. Gonna start really light with it (half dose basically) excited to see what results I get! 

I gotta cool it with the reef roids though.. I'm wiping my glass a bit more often 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, spectra said:

Jeff had some nice blue cali torts...............I picked up a quarter size chunk from him..........maybe I can take a pic............:unsure:

Won't be able to tell its blue with all the blue in your pics 😜

Yeah that's probably what I'll grab.... I'll find a spot somewhere haha

Okay so here are my settings. 

I'm sure I could have found a better way to post them but oh well. 

Let's start with the Bluefish settings. I'm also running 2x Super Actinic T5s

Screenshot_20200106-214656.thumb.png.0c0c0f3a3191badb11616cbb5c253c4c.png

Okay now for my Sony Xperia A2 settings 

Full Auto. Notice how blue it is. 

Screenshot_20200106-183953.thumb.png.0ee3a2bc1c7edd23f8b9ec913020f306.png

Now my phone only has these white balance settings (daylight cloud setting on mine) and EV setting so idk what yours will look like but I'm able to get a little more blue out of the way with these settings. 

Screenshot_20200106-184136.thumb.png.ca8cfb94c17743e976142f803c8e2f1a.png

Now with my Dslr. Panasonic Lumix GX85 full Auto. Blue af. 

Screenshot_20200106-185529.thumb.png.9c87b26a0614a3adbe30fb541b7552af.png

Now in Manual Mode with apature at maximum exposure, ISO as low as you can go because too high ISO you will get grainy pics, and then I made a manual custom White Balance setting built into my camera. I used to have an old Nikon and my mother has a Canon so I know they all have the function for manual white balance setting. 

Now if you notice the cameras LED display shows much brighter and white colors. 

However my shutter speed is fast at 250 only allowing light in for that fraction of a second hence why my pics come out crisp, sharp and color accurate. 

Screenshot_20200106-185431.thumb.png.92a8cc2a2c40191b353bd713f74ccdb1.png

I later than use Pixlr.com to edit my photos to get a little bit better lighting and color balance but honestly they're just finishing touches. The shots are pretty raw in their state. 

Hope this helps a little.... 😂 👀

No my phone doesn’t have actual WB dial/adjustment go figure. I think Canon or Nikon need to come up with a camera app, maybe they have one, that takes over controls of the dumb iPhone camera. 

Yes, my DSLR camera has WB, I set it to somewhere around 9000K offset. I only manually adjusting exposure, everything else is auto. The 250 shutter is way fast, my picture would be super dark, remember this is 2007 sensor 😏 we’re dealing with here. 

To help say it for @spectra, NO this isn’t simple at all. 😂.

It makes sense, but hardly simplified. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

No my phone doesn’t have actual WB dial/adjustment go figure. I think Canon or Nikon need to come up with a camera app, maybe they have one, that takes over controls of the dumb iPhone camera. 

Yes, my DSLR camera has WB, I set it to somewhere around 9000K offset. I only manually adjusting exposure, everything else is auto. The 250 shutter is way fast, my picture would be super dark, remember this is 2007 sensor 😏 we’re dealing with here. 

To help say it for @spectra, NO this isn’t simple at all. 😂.

It makes sense, but hardly simplified. 

You can always up your iso levels. But yeah we're comparing 2007 mirrored setup with a 2018 mirrorless 4k camera hahahaha. Yes all my dslr photos on here are 4k. 

At 250 shutter speed it's a darker photo but it's waaaay easier to make a photo brighter than darker from the original file. 

Well @spectra

Won't let me take pics of his tank so what can I say 🙃

• Like 1

Lol, I have to agree, even my Lumia 1020 and its' 42 megapixel (roughly 2560x1280 after supersampling and downscaling) camera suffer from the harsh reality of phone-cameras, tiny sensor size. At anything quicker than 1/50th a second it's just impossible to compensate for the low-light artifacting you get, frankly allot of phone cameras end up with obvious low-light issues in broad-daylight, I suppose I could use a spotlight or something to compensate XD

• Like 1
second_decimal

I use an old Nikon D40.. The 2 main issues i ran into was the color (too blue and poor reproduction of what i was actually looking at) and blurriness. I added an orange filter lens that seems to work pretty well for the color and started using a mini tripod. I set the camera up and use the timer function to avoid the movement from pressing the button. 

DSC_0527.thumb.JPG.36b049f44a116ed6f7fc83ade7bb21f5.JPG

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, second_decimal said:

I use an old Nikon D40.. The 2 main issues i ran into was the color (too blue and poor reproduction of what i was actually looking at) and blurriness. I added an orange filter lens that seems to work pretty well for the color and started using a mini tripod. I set the camera up and use the timer function to avoid the movement from pressing the button. 

DSC_0527.thumb.JPG.36b049f44a116ed6f7fc83ade7bb21f5.JPG

I'm sure there's a white balance setting you could play with no? 

I'm just glad I was able to find and figure out settings the require no changing of the light itself and I don't even need a tripod since my shutter speed and apature are fricken fast. 

Don't be afraid to take a dark photo. It's always easier to make a photo brighter in editing than it is to make darker from lighter. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Matteo said:

I'm sure there's a white balance setting you could play with no? 

I'm just glad I was able to find and figure out settings the require no changing of the light itself and I don't even need a tripod since my shutter speed and apature are fricken fast. 

Don't be afraid to take a dark photo. It's always easier to make a photo brighter in editing than it is to make darker from lighter. 

Dark and crisp can be corrected, blurry-artifacted and bright cannot lol.
However, as a for-instance, here's a shot which simply cannot be fixed - the artifacting is awful and the brightness/gamma are wayyy off from a high-shutter-speed.
2020_01_06_17_00_37_ProShot.thumb.jpg.3a26917b35f8b7c4da1c6e219be4d1fe.jpg

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

your phone takes better pics than your actual cameras =P

Who's phone? 

I'm using a 4k camera for my pics. Completely different planets in regards to quality. 

Phone cameras are simply too small for strange light situations. 

Just remember iphone or not your camera is actually Sony 9/10 times. 

• Haha 1