Pod Your Reef

On 12/18/2019 at 5:43 PM, mitten_reef said:

Looks ready for TOTM grow-out. Now just don’t F it up the next 12 months. 😄

Question.... 

Is a possible upgrade a F up? 🤔😂

• Haha 1

So I cut some plastic tubing I had and glued a piece each to the front lobos. 

They have a shallower bottom skeleton and end up getting burried in the sand a smidge with the way the flow works and my clowns also kick sand around for their nem base. 

Sooooo.. 

These should solve the problem and keep them from sinking in a bit. 

DSC_0404.JPG

DSC_0403.JPG

• Like 1

Don't think I'm gonna do the SCA. 

I wanna wait and get a deal on a Redsea 250 or 350. 

Anyway back to the IM40!

Bought a large Aussie Orange Hammer this weekend. 

CnC gave me a great deal on it. 

I'll get pics tomorrow. I moved it in a really great spot and placed an sps in another spot. Tank is looking fricken great! 

I also scrubbed the sand bed glass..... You're welcome @spectra

• Like 6

Well..................you should have looked at that RS at CnC....................has a used RS 250 or 350 not sure what one..............was in rough shape but could get a deal.................

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, spectra said:

Well..................you should have looked at that RS at CnC....................has a used RS 250 or 350 not sure what one..............was in rough shape but could get a deal.................

Nah I won't upgrade till late spring if I do 

This is more of just an update FTS so you can see the new Orange Hammer and coral placement. Pics where taken a little while after I stirred the sand bed and turkey bastered the rocks so its a bit cloudy.

This is not an "official" FTS

Really like where I put the Orange Hammer and the SPS that used to be there. 

I also made it brighter for you whiny bitches 😛

P1010512.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Parents got me some reef roids and polyp booster for Christmas 😊

Also ordered Redsea's ABCD supplement pack. 

With my religious water changes, feeding of reef roids, and dosing with the ABCD this tank should explode in color and growth. 

That is the hope at least. It could all be snake oil too 🤔

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Matteo said:

With my religious water changes, feeding of reef roids, and dosing with the ABCD this tank should explode in color and growth. 

It's beneficial snake-oil, RedSea AB legit causes crazy polyp extension on all my animals within 30 minutes of adding it to the tank, can't tell ya' whether it does anything past that and feed dinos, probably?
Pertaining to roids, spot-feeding helps corals grow, no way around it lol.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Color ABCD are great!  Just added some (~2ml squirts of everything) to my tank last week and I noticed color change within two days. Of course what I see could still be subjective 😂

ever since I went to blue bucket, I feel like the trace is not getting replenished the way it used to with RSCP back in the day. Might go with @spectra method, half and half every time I mix new water. 

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

It's beneficial snake-oil, RedSea AB legit causes crazy polyp extension on all my animals within 30 minutes of adding it to the tank, can't tell ya' whether it does anything past that and feed dinos, probably?
Pertaining to roids, spot-feeding helps corals grow, no way around it lol.

Haha, is that the AB vitamins kit?  I haven’t tried those yet.  
Seriously Red Sea needs to stop calling everything A B C D, all their additives are all start with A and B. 
examples:

ABC Foundations (Ca/Alk/Mg)

ABCD Colors (trace elements)

AB Reef Energy (vitamins, etc) 

• Like 2

Yeah the corals reacted pretty well with the polyp booster and roids. 

I've read great reviews on the color ABCD kit so I'm really excited to try it out. Especially with my lobos. 

I’ve been using the trace colors for a almost a month now, I have some pink zoas that almost immediately starting to add more pink when I started dosing it. Everything has been good since I started, but these bottles can pretty much be poison if over dosed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

Haha, is that the AB vitamins kit?  I haven’t tried those yet.  
Seriously Red Sea needs to stop calling everything A B C D, all their additives are all start with A and B. 
examples:

ABC Foundations (Ca/Alk/Mg)

ABCD Colors (trace elements)

AB Reef Energy (vitamins, etc) 

Ah, see I forgot about all their other alphabet lines XD
It's the reef nutrition vitamin and carb kit, the animals seem to like having it in the water you just have to be careful with the stuff.

• Like 2

I dose Aquavitro Fuel because I am lazy.  Fuel has both aminos and vitamins.  I tried Red Sea, Aquaforest, and Brightwell.  Just too complicated for me and too much crap to dose.  Brightwell has like 50 bottles of things that all sound the same.  

• Haha 4
3 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

I dose Aquavitro Fuel because I am lazy.  Fuel has both aminos and vitamins.  I tried Red Sea, Aquaforest, and Brightwell.  Just too complicated for me and too much crap to dose.  Brightwell has like 50 bottles of things that all sound the same.  

All the different brands and bottles basically all have the same stuff. 

Kind of annoying really. 

Like API and Kent have dosing kits like Mag and iodine two part but then right next to it is the "trace elements" for cheaper and it has iodine and Mag in the ingredients 😂

The science behind what elements benefit coral hasn't really changed much so I guess the supplements are basically comparing apples and oranges. Both sweet and both fruit. If that analogy works 😂👍

• Haha 2

So in the midst of adding my new Rasta Torch (I'm addicted to high end lps lately) I had sort of a rescape and redoing of some of the coral. 

Came out pretty good I think. I'll see what you guys think (remember you are all a bunch of picky Richards) 🙄

Will post pics later after my water change tonight if it clears up. 

Thinking I might want to trade my green lobo in for a brighter color that's not green... Just still a smidge too much green. 

• Like 1
second_decimal
39 minutes ago, Matteo said:

So in the midst of adding my new Rasta Torch (I'm addicted to high end lps lately) I had sort of a rescape and redoing of some of the coral. 

Came out pretty good I think. I'll see what you guys think (remember you are all a bunch of picky Richards) 🙄

Will post pics later after my water change tonight if it clears up. 

Thinking I might want to trade my green lobo in for a brighter color that's not green... Just still a smidge too much green. 

Picture?

1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

Need more yellow.  

the rasta torch helped with that a bit but AGREED 

1 hour ago, second_decimal said:

Picture?

tomorrow. Tank is settling and lights are off 

• Like 2