Top Shelf Aquatics

Clean up crew for Biocube 32

dnez

Hey guys,

just wondering what folks do for cleanup crews on biocubes and other nano-tanks. A couple months back I purchased a captive bred mandarin so I’ve been overfeeding and now it’s starting to show. I went with a small cleanup crew initially. 2 each of nassarius, nerite, astrea and bumblebee, 3 hermits, 1 pincushion urchin, and bunch of micro brittles and few bristle worms. I also have linckia seastar, 3 sexy shrimp, 2 pom-pom crabs and 1 anemone crab but not sure of the contribute much.

according to many reefers the recommnded amount of snails would be like 30 and crabs like 15. That’s always felt high to me but maybe with the extra food and wastes, useful now? Just wondering what people go with for CUC in small tanks. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I also started a Biocube 32 a several months ago and have three blue leg hermit crabs, three scarlet, a dozen or so assorted Trochus, cerith, and Nassarius snails, one turbo snail, and one fighting conch. I also have one skunk and two peppermint shrimp. I had a pink pin cushion urchin and an emerald crab but sadly they passed away.

• 1 month later...

If i got a biocube 32 my clean up crew would be a fighting conch, 8ish astraeas, and like 8ish blue leg hermits. The fighting conch is an absolute animal on the sand bed. id buy some extra shells online too(so the hermits don't eat the snails). NEVER ask your fish store for empty shells cuz those empties are often homes to some not-so-cool guests.