Cultivated Reef

Saltwater tank has no algae growth?

cassie8790

cassie8790

So, I have had a saltwater tank for a little over a month now. I was told that throughout the cycling process, my rocks and sand would turn brown, and then green. My tank turned brown, but then it all faded away in about 3 weeks and turned back looking clean besides some slime on the glass. Is this normal? Does it mean anything? Does it even make a difference? I have finally gotten down to 0 nitrite and 0 ammonia last i tested the tank about 4 days ago!

Perfectly normal and all aquariums are different.  The amount of algae growth varies depending on several factors...lighting, available nutrients, bioload, whether you have completely dry rock or some live mixed in with dry, what type of filters and media you are running, etc...

My last tank was like yours...it took almost a year for my dry rock to start building up noticeable green algae.  But it was a 34 gallon aquarium with 3 small fish total and a protein skimmer meant for a 120 gallon aquarium keeping it really clean.  Not to mention weekly 30% water changes and sparsely feeding.  

• Thanks 1
cassie8790

Okay, thanks! I have a 60Gal tank with an RS-100 sump and then i also have a S-120 skimmer, but I was told to turn off the skimmer because it wasn’t letting the tank cycle correctly in the beginning. But I also have a mixture of live and dry rock as well, and only keep my white light at about 35% for about 6 hours right now. 

Every tank is different. Mine never went through huge algae blooms. 

Your tank just finished cycling as well, you may start seeing algae soon

• Thanks 1