SaltCritters.com

Anyone using the Asta 20 light

Clown79

1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

I need to get a new light for my 2.5g

Was looking into the asta 20?

Want to know if this light is decent.

I have one on my pico. It’s pretty decent for the price. Looks nice too. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Great. I was using the Abi 12w which everything loved but moved my tank and the par 38 won't fit under the kitchen cupboard.

The nemolight I have seems to be a problem. Nothing is opening or looking great under it, I've tried it low and higher.😒

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Great. I was using the Abi 12w which everything loved but moved my tank and the par 38 won't fit under the kitchen cupboard.

The nemolight I have seems to be a problem. Nothing is opening or looking great under it, I've tried it low and higher.😒

I have a large rock of branching gsp and a large chunk of smooth Montipora growing like weeds under mine. 

I have the asta 20 in my contest tank and love it.  I never put any channel above 50% and am getting a lot of growth.  I have it over riccs, zoas, duncans, and RFA.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

it gets really hot unless you have some kind of active cooling blowing over it tho.  

I took some shots of it with my main LED's off and just the Asta20 on. 

I mostly use it to kill any shadow effect my mains give also to give my SPS's a bit more direct PAR without nuking the rest of the tank from my overpowered mains.  

But it should give u a general idea on how strong they are. 

It has a rainbow shimmer effect also....

My mains do a good job at hiding it, but if u run an Asta solo, you may experience it. 

Id also say its about good for no more then a 12inch deep tank, unless your running zoa's and mushrooms at the bottom.  

20190602_204530.jpg

20190602_204451.jpg

20190602_204543.jpg

4 hours ago, Naekuh said:

it gets really hot unless you have some kind of active cooling blowing over it tho.  

I took 2some shots of it with my main LED's off and just the Asta20 on. 

I mostly use it to kill any shadow effect my mains give also to give my SPS's a bit more direct PAR without nuking the rest of the tank from my overpowered mains.  

But it should give u a general idea on how strong they are. 

It has a rainbow shimmer effect also....

My mains do a good job at hiding it, but if u run an Asta solo, you may experience it. 

Id also say its about good for no more then a 12inch deep tank, unless your running zoa's and mushrooms at the bottom.  

20190602_204530.jpg

20190602_204451.jpg

20190602_204543.jpg

Thank you. Is it hot to the touch?

It would be for my 2.5g

The light itself is about 1 5/8" thick and almost 2 3/4 across; gooseneck on mine is about 15 1/2 inches long from the base to the light.  It resets when unplugged but for the price the functionality is pretty decent and I think it's capable of pretty nice color. Definitely one of the better pico lights out there imo.  I wouldn't put it over more than 5-6 gallons or so but it works fine for picos like what you're working with.  It's on my desktop pico still so I was able to measure it lol.

it will definitely work for a pico.

However its a mandatory goose neck.

And the clamp is made of alu, if you put too much torque on it, i would wager you could crack your tank.  

You might run into a problem with it if you cant fit a par38 fixture, unless you intend to just let it sit ontop of your tank somehow.  

Its not wire hangable, unless you do some modding, and the goose neck requires a arch or it will dip like how all goose necks do.  

For a little more you could get the Pixie 30.  That you could hang using wires and hooks under the cabinet instead of using the bracket mount.  I can get a temperature reading tonight if your interested.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

The light itself is about 1 5/8" thick and almost 2 3/4 across; gooseneck on mine is about 15 1/2 inches long from the base to the light.  It resets when unplugged but for the price the functionality is pretty decent and I think it's capable of pretty nice color. Definitely one of the better pico lights out there imo.  I wouldn't put it over more than 5-6 gallons or so but it works fine for picos like what you're working with.  It's on my desktop pico still so I was able to measure it lol.

Thank you. That's great to hear because there aren't many options out there for such tiny tanks.

The nemolight I'm using resets too when unplugged.

Can you put it on a timer?

1 hour ago, Wingy said:

For a little more you could get the Pixie 30.  That you could hang using wires and hooks under the cabinet instead of using the bracket mount.  I can get a temperature reading tonight if your interested.

I will look into that. Thanks. Haven't seen it on Amazon.ca

2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

It doesn't come with a timer, but you should be able to use it with a timer plug. It keeps the last setting when turned off and on again

• Thanks 1
This guy is extra salty
16 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Thank you. Is it hot to the touch?

It would be for my 2.5g

Primehd  it and done

• Like 1

I used a digital meat thermometer to get readings over the top and sides of the Pixie 30.  Ambient room temp is 67F (19.44 C) and there was very little difference in temp  on the light itself 68F (20 C).  It felt cool to my hand all over.  The light has been on for 6 hours.  There is a circulating air cleaner in the room.  I have turned it off and will test again in an hour.  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Thank you. That's great to hear because there aren't many options out there for such tiny tanks.

I have mine on a timer.  

13 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Primehd  it and done

Nah, that's a bit much on a 2.5g.

13 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

I have mine on a timer.  

Thank you.

What kind of setting are you running on the pico's

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
48 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Nah, that's a bit much on a 2.5g.

Lol it is I have mine set for 50% power for now until I get my lid made

speaking of which I have been wanting to see your “custom” lid!

• Like 1
On 6/3/2019 at 9:55 AM, Clown79 said:

Mine was on a basic household timer with no issues, just reset when unplugged, not when the timer turned on and off.  I would manually set it till it looked around 12-14k to my eyes because that's a color temperature I like (don't like super blue like tuna blue).  It's definitely better than in my early days trying to use a 20w compact florescent screw in bulb haha.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Lol it is I have mine set for 50% power for now until I get my lid made

speaking of which I have been wanting to see your “custom” lid!

Lol. It's not a custom lid, just simple acrylic but there hasn't been time to make it which turns out to be good since I have to change the light.

Right now its eggcrate so that my kitties can keep their paws out. 

12 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Mine was on a basic household timer with no issues, just reset when unplugged, not when the timer turned on and off.  I would manually set it till it looked around 12-14k to my eyes because that's a color temperature I like (don't like super blue like tuna blue).  It's definitely better than in my early days trying to use a 20w compact florescent screw in bulb haha.

Thank you.

I remember the days of compact fluorescents!

• Like 2
On 6/2/2019 at 9:18 PM, WV Reefer said:

My hubby surprised me with the Asta today!

How do you know how high you are setting the light? Not sure if I wanna start it at 100%

• Like 3

I can not remember how it was when I got it.  When I want to set it fresh I push a channel number and hit the minus button till it goes off. I do it for each channel number.  For the day time I put channel one with about 7 out of 12 clicks(blue) and I put channel 2 on 3 clicks.  For pictures I put the 2nd channel all the way up (white).  At night time I cut channel 2 off and put on a couple of clicks on channel 3(bluish purple).  I have it on a timer and it will come back on each day how you left it set at night.   I suggest you just play with it for a while use one channel at a time and run it all the way up and down to figure which setting you like best.  I do suggest you change the lens to the one that comes in the box.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, kimdawg said:

I can not remember how it was when I got it.  When I want to set it fresh I push a channel number and hit the minus button till it goes off. I do it for each channel number.  For the day time I put channel one with about 7 out of 12 clicks(blue) and I put channel 2 on 3 clicks.  For pictures I put the 2nd channel all the way up (white).  At night time I cut channel 2 off and put on a couple of clicks on channel 3(bluish purple).  I have it on a timer and it will come back on each day how you left it set at night.   I suggest you just play with it for a while use one channel at a time and run it all the way up and down to figure which setting you like best.  I do suggest you change the lens to the one that comes in the box.

Thank you. That helps a lot.

I have the 60 degree lens on right now

• Like 1