Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New nano tank startup advice

cgorges4

1 hour ago, cgorges4 said:

Filled last night and started cycling.  Here’s a quick shot.  I was curious.  Do I just start a journal thread over in the journal link?  Sorry for lack of knowledge. This is my first time posting a new tank build but I sure am excited.  Thx to clown79 for the inspiration to get back into reefing.  

image.jpg

Looking good. I really like the rockwork. 

The stand is really nice too.

Ya, you just go to the journal section, start a thread. You can update it as much as you want.

We love pics😁

• Like 1

Quick question before starting a journal thread.  Do any of you buy your fish  and coral online?   I’m thinking of going that route this time mainly due to not liking my lfs all that much.  I was eyeing live aquaria for some clown fish but have no experience buying online.  Any suggestions or sites would be appreciated.  

I’ve bought fish and coral online. No real issues, but I’ve had a few fish dead on arrival which is always a bummer. I prefer to buy fish in person though, so you can see what your getting. When buying online you pretty much have to make a large purchase to get free shipping ir deals they offer, otherwise small purchases get really expensive.

Houston(EX)NanoReefer

Lagoon 25 was a great choice. It's a beautiful tank and the dimensions are perfect (IMO). Minimal rockwork is looking good, too. I've ordered a ton of coral online, I usually buy my fish locally, though. Better deals and more coral selection online, fish are usually widely available at the various LFS around the city. 

4 hours ago, cgorges4 said:

Quick question before starting a journal thread.  Do any of you buy your fish  and coral online?   I’m thinking of going that route this time mainly due to not liking my lfs all that much.  I was eyeing live aquaria for some clown fish but have no experience buying online.  Any suggestions or sites would be appreciated.  

I buy almost all my fish online from Divers Den/LA. Free ship is 99 with two week guarantee but you must have a pic of the fishes body. This works fine for me since I QT my fish so bodies are easy to find but in a DT CUC will eat them quickly so keep that in mind.

Most of the fish I have ordered are just fine though and don't perish.

Coral is easier and almost nothing will be DOA ever. The only bad part is some venders post unrealistic photos so you just have to be careful who you buy from. I really like cultivated reef as the stuff they send is even better than the photos.

Btw if you order from ORA captive bred on Live Aquaria the fish ship directly from ORA which is nice...they exchange less hands and are not exposed to wild fish and disease. 

My friend recently started a tank and he ordered everything from ORA on LA and had no problems with disease this way. The fish were also very used to tank life so it was very beginner friendly and easy for him. 

Thanks for the great info.  I was thinking on starting with two Ora clownfish from live aquaria so I may go that route.  As far as coral goes I’ll probably just try out a few places and see how things go.  Tank should be cycled by early next week so the fun is just starting.  

• Like 1