Top Shelf Aquatics

New nano tank startup advice

cgorges4

Hello everyone.  

First time post to this forum.  I'm thinking of starting up a new 20 gallon ish nano tank and was wanting some thoughts on equipment.  As a background I ran a 170 reef tank for about 2 years and shut it down about 2 years ago.  I had radion lights on it and mainly just kept soft coral and fish.  I'm wanting to start back in with a smaller tank and was thinking on getting a Red Sea 20 gallon all inclusive tank.  I'd like your thoughts on this tank as well as any insight into other nano tank set ups including bio cubes and such.  Any advice or questions would be great.  

Chad

I have always been partial of the Bio/Nano Cubes. The hood really cuts down on evaporation making it easier to keep it stable. 

They have a clean look and put out almost no noise. 

My advice, as a Biocube 16g owner, is to get a little bigger tank. Will give you more options on stocking. 

The Lagoon tanks and Peninsula style tanks both look awesome as well. 

Welcome back! 

I started with the cubes because they were pretty much the only game in town back in the day, for solutions with a hood. But they were always hard to landscape and clean. The peninsula style tanks are cool, as you have a couple of long sides to work with. And the newer lagoon tanks are pretty sweet. I recently got an EVO 15 tank, and if I had the space, I'd probably do a larger lagoon and get an Artfully Acrylic lid for it.  

Coming from a 90 Reef years ago, i now have had the RS max nano for 5 months.  Its well made and looks and works great.  I think if i would do it over i would get the reefer with larger sump in the cabinet.  

• Like 1

After further searching I’m leaning towards a lagoon 25. Looks like many different options to customize it and I like the size.  Would one ai prime us light be enough?  Assuming no sps coral 

(1) AI PRIME does a 24" x 24" area.

Power Output

With a spread of 24" x 24", the AI Prime® HD has a peak PAR of 100µMol at a depth of 24 inches, more than enough for your hungriest of livestock. Drawing a maximum of 55 watts from the wall, it follows in the family’s efficient footsteps.

So after some exhausting research and watching some videos and reviews I think I'm going to use the kessil a360x light on this tank.  It it between this and the Radion xr15.  I would appreciate any comparisons or recommendations from anyone.  I'm leaning towards the kessil after watching a brs 30 minute video testing the kessil and i'm feeling quite confident this may be the light for this tank.  

I love my IM 25 lagoon. Awesome tank.

I run 2 primes on it but on lower settings because higher was causing issues. I originally ran 1 Prime on it.

Rations are great, kessil is good, both I believe need separate controllers to be purchased. 

Another good light is the Nanobox

so another question I keep coming to in my head is a comparison of most lights to the Radion xr15 if I were to add a diffuser to it.  It seems as if perhaps this may swing me back to the Radion over the Kessil.   I love your tank Clown79.  It's what inspired me to get back in the hobby.  If you had your choice between a Radion with a diffuser and the two ai primes you have now, would you still stick with the ai primes?  

This lighting question is about the last thing I need to decide before starting my new build.  Any thoughts would be much appreciated.  

Thanks

6 hours ago, cgorges4 said:

so another question I keep coming to in my head is a comparison of most lights to the Radion xr15 if I were to add a diffuser to it.  It seems as if perhaps this may swing me back to the Radion over the Kessil.   I love your tank Clown79.  It's what inspired me to get back in the hobby.  If you had your choice between a Radion with a diffuser and the two ai primes you have now, would you still stick with the ai primes?  

This lighting question is about the last thing I need to decide before starting my new build.  Any thoughts would be much appreciated.  

Thanks

Thank you! 

That's a hard question to answer. Lol.

I love my Primes. They can be powerful lights. 

They are easy to use and no additional controller.

I haven't used Radion myself but they do look nice. I've see tanks with them and the corals look great.

Well I finally bit the bullet and purchased the IM lagoon 25 yesterday.  I also went with the radion XR15w with a diffuser.  I have quite a bit of rock left over from my old large tank but opted for some new reef dry rock from brs with a few shelf pieces.  I’ve drawn up several sketches of what I’d like to do with the rocks so I’ll probably work on that this weekend.  I’m also stuck on which powerhead to order.  I thought about just sticking with ecotech but wonder if any of you have thoughts pertaining to this.  I have never done it but will possible start a journal for this tank.  Salt mixes are another question I’d love opinions on.  I used Brightwell aquatics in the past bit am thinking about using the reef pro for this tank.  

1 hour ago, cgorges4 said:

Well I finally bit the bullet and purchased the IM lagoon 25 yesterday.  I also went with the radion XR15w with a diffuser.  I have quite a bit of rock left over from my old large tank but opted for some new reef dry rock from brs with a few shelf pieces.  I’ve drawn up several sketches of what I’d like to do with the rocks so I’ll probably work on that this weekend.  I’m also stuck on which powerhead to order.  I thought about just sticking with ecotech but wonder if any of you have thoughts pertaining to this.  I have never done it but will possible start a journal for this tank.  Salt mixes are another question I’d love opinions on.  I used Brightwell aquatics in the past bit am thinking about using the reef pro for this tank.  

You'll love the lagoon. Great tank.

Have you chosen an epoxy for the rockwork?

A tank journal is a great idea, not only to share your tank progress but a great way to be able to look back at things you've done.

Ecotech are great, pricey but a favoured one.

Other options are aqamai kps, nero 5, jebao, tunze. 

Salt. This is one of those subjects where everyone has their favourite. I favour the Red Sea blue bucket, it's very consistent, mixes easily and quickly.

I purchased some aquaatick stone grey epoxy.  Not sure how it will work as I’ve never used epoxy on rock before.  I’m a furniture maker by trade so I know a lot about glue and epoxy in that language.  Suggestions for the epoxy? 

2 hours ago, cgorges4 said:

I purchased some aquaatick stone grey epoxy.  Not sure how it will work as I’ve never used epoxy on rock before.  I’m a furniture maker by trade so I know a lot about glue and epoxy in that language.  Suggestions for the epoxy? 

For dry rock I like using reef welder. If you make a boo boo you can reheat the epoxy, so use end up using less.

I like the aquastik too.

Last question for you.  Where do you get or what are using using as far as media bags for your carbon and Purigen that will fit in the IM media holders?  

35 minutes ago, cgorges4 said:

Last question for you.  Where do you get or what are using using as far as media bags for your carbon and Purigen that will fit in the IM media holders?  

Purigen is really tiny so it needs a particular bag which seachem sells. I find it over priced here for a empty media bag so what I did was buy 2 of the pre bagged options. Cut them open and used less media saving the remainder in a container.

I then zip tied the bags. 1 is for my 10g the other goes in my 25g.

Then I purchased the container of purigen and when it goes brown, I cut the zip tie, rinse everything out, replace the media.

Carbon I just buy small media bags at the lfs. 

Another option I use is knee high pantyhose from $1 store. I buy the nylon neutral colour. Fill with the media of choice, tie it off in a knot or zip tie , cut remaining fabric, rinse and use.

I don't over use media, 1 have 1 small bag of purigen and 2 small of carbon, neither are fully filled.

• Like 1

I use this for purigen/rox carbon, etc.

It's not flipping robbery like the seachem bag. I don't regenerate mine and just add a little with my carbon in the same bag and replace every 2 weeks with a zip tie closure because the strings are laughable. Clowns idea sounds good too.

https://www.amazon.com/SLSON-Aquarium-Drawstring-Activated-Accessories/dp/B07FD2TFFR/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=media+bag+purigen&qid=1560043658&s=gateway&sr=8-2

I noticed on some of your pictures on tour TOTM that your sand seems quite large in particle size.  Was there a particular reason for this?   Did you choose a larger particle sand and if so what was your philosophy behind it?   I was thinking on just using Fiji sand but am trying my best to think through each decision I make and get as much info as I can.  

Generally easier to vaccume and doesn't blow around. I rinse sand first time get rid of the silt. Whatever you get you have to maintain and clean it.

I've used Fiji pink and it was nice.

I transferred tanks and used caribsea aragamax which is mixed with ocean direct which has larger pieces. The whole sandbed isn't large pieces.

I just like the look of it.

My philosophy with the sand is it not creating more work or issues.

I vacuum it, it doesn't get blown around, mostly less than an inch. 

Just thought I’d give a quick update on my build.  I will start a journal here soon but here is my initial rock setup I’m thinking of as well as a quick pic of a new stand i quickly built which still needs a door.   

F7DF0FFC-7F23-4F49-9313-622DE090D846.jpeg

95C5A1FC-2E5C-45CC-9FD1-B382BE056131.jpeg

• Like 1

"..but here is my initial rock setup I’m thinking of as well as a quick pic of a(n amazing, beautiful and totally functional) new stand (which looks like I spent days on, but that) I (actually) quickly built which still needs a door (even though it looks great without one)."

Fixed it for you.

Looks nice, looking forward to following your build.

Filled last night and started cycling.  Here’s a quick shot.  I was curious.  Do I just start a journal thread over in the journal link?  Sorry for lack of knowledge. This is my first time posting a new tank build but I sure am excited.  Thx to clown79 for the inspiration to get back into reefing.  

image.jpg