Pod Your Reef

BTA in 20 long?

trickerie

It's possible just be careful since they can get pretty big and split to eventually take over your tank. So, you may need to sell or transplant it to another tank in the future. 

sbsouthpaw

A BTA would be fine in a 20 gallon for your clowns but like said before there is no guarantee they will host it. BTA's have a habit of running all over the tank. I would recommend you should always try to get an anemone guard for all powerheads/overflow but most importantly for the powerheads. I had 2 different nems get sucked in and and spit out. Both caused major problems in my tank as there was so much tissue to remove. One of the nems died and the other made it and I still have today. Since I bought the (roughly $10) foam powerhead guards I have not had any issues. Just a tip 

Some general tips:

- Your tank needs to be mature and stable before putting a BTA in your aquarium.  Most long time BTA keepers recommend adding them after your tank has been up for a minimum of 6 months.  Quick changes in water chemistry can stress BTAs out and either kill them or make them split (which is a sign of stress).

- Have the appropriate lighting.  BTAs seem to do better under strong lighting for 8 hours a day.  They need a good light source for photosynthesis.

- Make sure that you have some rock in there for them to place their foot inside.  They don't like to be in sand.  Dry or live rock with some crevices is best as they like to stick their foot down inside a hole and that makes them feel secure.  That'll help keep them from wandering all over the place.

- Do not feed them all the time.  The general consensus says to wait until a week after you have obtained them before attempting to feed.  Then once a week or once a month thereafter.  

• Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, jfalkartist said:

Some general tips:

- Your tank needs to be mature and stable before putting a BTA in your aquarium.  Most long time BTA keepers recommend adding them after your tank has been up for a minimum of 6 months.  Quick changes in water chemistry can stress BTAs out and either kill them or make them split (which is a sign of stress).

- Have the appropriate lighting.  BTAs seem to do better under strong lighting for 8 hours a day.  They need a good light source for photosynthesis.

- Make sure that you have some rock in there for them to place their foot inside.  They don't like to be in sand.  Dry or live rock with some crevices is best as they like to stick their foot down inside a hole and that makes them feel secure.  That'll help keep them from wandering all over the place.

- Do not feed them all the time.  The general consensus says to wait until a week after you have obtained them before attempting to feed.  Then once a week or once a month thereafter.  

Yeah putting one in a 20 long should be an issue I have two in my thirty gallon for each of my clowns cause even though they’re a mates pair one of them wouldn’t let the other near it so I went and got a second for him