Top Shelf Aquatics

increasing alk

neyes_ice

5th month into reefing, tank moderately stocked with corals. tested the water the other day everything was k except for the ALK which was 7.0

how can i raise this up and keep it that way. I have a 15 gal nano. calcium reactor is not at option.

2 part is calcium and alk right? but i only need to raise the alk. do you need to dose A and B equal parts? wouldn't that raise calcium too? 

Thanks!

5 hours ago, nano_nano_nano said:

ALK which was 7.0

What's the alkalinity of a newly mixed batch of saltwater?  That's your target level.

how can i raise this up and keep it that way

Water changes are always an option.  However, eventually, stony corals will use more alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium than partial water changes can replenish.  Kalkwasser can help to maintain levels, but isn't a great option for raising levels.

2 part is calcium and alk right? but i only need to raise the alk. do you need to dose A and B equal parts? wouldn't that raise calcium too?

Yes, two part includes an alkalinity, and a calcium component.  You also dose magnesium, so it's more like three part.  Alkalinity tends to change faster than calcium, but unless alkalinity is precipitating out of solution, you normally have to dose both alkalinity and calcium to replenish consumption (precipitation is often a result of low magnesium levels, or improper dosing).  However, in order to correct an imbalance, you can just dose the alkalinity solution if needed.

• Like 3

Calcium is much more concentrated. You may not think it's being used, but it is. The equal parts calcium to alkalinity is formulated to keep everything in check. 

• Like 1

Another method of maintaining alkalinity (which I don't necessarily subscribe to), is to use a salt mix that is significantly higher in alkalinity than your target level.  Then you use water changes to increase alkalinity back to your target.  There are a number of high alk salt mixes (like Red Sea Coral Pro).  This does, however, mean that an emergency high percentage water change will spike alkalinity levels (which can be especially detrimental to corals sensitive to alkalinity swings).

• Like 1
blasterman

Professional grade reef salts tend to be much lower in calcium and alk because their target market is either running reactors or will raise the levels to their preference. Amatuer reef salts (Reef Crystals) will tend to have much higher levels. I've tested Reef Crystals as high as dKH of 13 out of the bag. If you're running a monti cap dominated tank that was running a dKH of 7 that's a pretty brutal jump in alkalinity with a water change. Precisely one of the reasons I'm not a big advocate of using water changes to fix chemistry issues. Also, salt makers aren't beholden to keep their salk mix consistent from batch to batch. No FDA regulations on coral salt. 

Two part dosers are *supposed* to add calcium and alkalinity in the proper ratios. Big asterisks there. I've picked up many a bottle of the alkalinity component and felt big chunks in the bottom because baking soda doesn't like to stay suspended in water in high concentrations.

That's what two part dosers are; calcium chloride (sidewalk de-icer) in one bottle and sodium bicarbonate (ordinary baking soda) in the other bottle.  Those same components go into salt mix.

• Like 1

its been a week since my last WC i do 30% each week. did a test an hour ago calcium 660. alk 7.2 Mg 1900 (will get another test kit) 

also tested my new saltwater (reef crystals) mixed less than a week ago

ca 680

alk 11.4

not keen on doing water changes to fix numbers either, seems imprecise.

8 hours ago, nano_nano_nano said:

Mg 1900 (will get another test kit

Your calcium results are way high too.  Not sure what’s going on with your testing.

i suggest picking up new Salifert kits.  The good news is that your alkalinity results sound plausible.

8 hours ago, nano_nano_nano said:

not keen on doing water changes to fix numbers either, seems imprecise.

If your target levels match a newly mixed batch of saltwater, like they should, then water changes always bring you closer to your target levels.

With your test kits so wonky, I’d trust water changes over anything to balance your water chemistry.  However, with alkalinity so low, I probably wouldn’t change more than 20% in any one given day.

Also, you might consider switching your reef salt mix, to something with a lower alkalinity.

• Thanks 1

i thought calcium was weird. maybe the large water changes built up overtime? maybe also not much corals consuming calcium at the moment? using hanna for alk and ca tests.

Calcium wouldn’t build up like that.  Maybe it’s an issue with the reagent.  Reviews are mixed on Hanna’s calcium checker.

You can just change to regular instant ocean for lower parameters. Nothing wrong with that salt, probably the most popular salt out there. Otherwise red sea blue bucket is nice but $$

• Thanks 1
Nano sapiens

To just raise alk (and also mag a bit) I use Seachem's Reef Builder. 

Once I hit my target of 9 dKh or so, then I use Kalkwasser to maintain alk and cal.

• Thanks 1

I would start by doing three 5 gallon water changes in a week.  So you get to your normal reef salt mix levels. 

Mix kalk+2 in your top off water  (its got calcium, magnesium, and strontium all in one) 

That will maintain all levels with out dosing, you wont have to worry about your levels dropping.  

Not sure if you ever used kalkwasser before but mix 1 tsp for every gallon of rodi water and 15 ml of vinegar mix slowly. Wait an hour and use the clear liquid only to top off your tank, not the milky stuff at bottom. Using an ato is highly recommended.  Set it and forget it. 

I started using Kalk2 and my coraline algea started growing everywhere fast and my corals are loving it too.  I'm guessing the addition of Mag, Strontium is really helping with this.   

• Thanks 1