Cultivated Reef

Getting scratches out of glass?

LazyFish

My nuvo 10 got some nasty long scratches on the front panel a few weeks ago its am eyesore and realy bugs me. I was wondering if there's a way to get the scratches out of a glass tank. I know it can be done sometimes with acrylic...

Kellie in CA

I hear you!  I recently posted abut this same issue on my 25 Lagoon.  That high clarity glass seems to scratch easily. 

I was going to try to fix it, but then found out I have to move in a couple weeks, so I just grabbed a new tank on the 10% off sale last weekend.  Have to move it anyway, so might as well just swap it out.

• Like 1

I was kind of concidering a swap as well possibly with the 14g peninsula. But I'm kind of on the fence about it. This has been a great tank I would like to keep it going it's been up almost 5 years. is there any good product available for buffing it out? Ones prety deep.

Are the scratches inside or outside the tank?  There are polishing compounds that can remove fine scratches in glass.  They work best with an orbital polisher.  I doubt that you'll be able to fix a deep scratch; even if you could, you might risk affecting the optical characteristics of the pane.  If the scratch is inside, I doubt that the compounds are reef safe.  Although it might be possible to thoroughly clean it off (IDK, maybe with straight vinegar). :unsure:

21 hours ago, Kellie in CA said:

That high clarity glass seems to scratch easily.

I read that too; supposedly, it's softer.

I too have some light scratches on my Nuvo 10 on the inside, I figured there was nothing that can safely be done.

Was hoping maybe someone had a secret fix😊

• Like 1