Coral Vue Hydros

Newbie Planning AIO Reef

Chione

I'm super new keeping fish, other than a betta as a kid, but I've recently decided that I want to take the plunge and get the clownfish that I've always wanted.

I've roughly planned out an AIO using an old 20g high that I had sitting around (previously used for a hamster; will be scrubbed down).

The display area will be approx 16g, which I know is a small volume for a newbie like me. I only plan on keeping a pair of clowns, a CUC, and corals.

I was hoping someone could give me some insights on my design.

AIO NANOTop.png

AIO NANOFront.png

whisnantrider

I would skip the sand and rock in the rear, its just to hard to clean and stuff will build up back there. Instead consider something like pond matrix in a media bag, then you can simply pull it out to clean out the rear and shake it around in your old water when you do a water change to clean it.

I agree, I like the general idea but I'd skip the fuge in the back and go for chemical media. A lot of AIO users use media like Chemipure and Purigen. 

I wouldnt worry too much about the plunge, sounds like you have done some research and have a good plan. 

Okay. So no fuge and just a ton of media instead?

Sounds a bit easier, I live in a small-ish town with no reef store so I think the other media will be more available than live sand/rock and chaeto lol

Edit: What if I fill the fuge section with different media baskets?

Having a fuge is beneficial and more natural method. Not only can it help reduce nutrients but you can produce pods in there which are essential in our tanks.

It adds biodiversity.

I wouldn't do sand myself or large amounts of liverock but you could have macro algae in there and some rubble for pod populations to grow. You could make a pod condo with the rubble so it's easy to clean back there.

You may even want to move the back area to one of the ends and make it peninsula style. This will make the display volume larger. Or could have a smaller central filter area covering half the tank. 

11 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Hm... Gave me more to think about then lol
Would you leave the fuge bare bottomed then and just have one (or two) pod condos?

6 minutes ago, Gravity said:

You may even want to move the back area to one of the ends and make it peninsula style. This will make the display volume larger. Or could have a smaller central filter area covering half the tank. 

I did consider that layout, my issue was more where I was thinking of putting the tank, I didn't want to have my view taken away by the sump. But maybe I'll make a sketch up of that layout too. If I figure out somewhere else to put it then it may be okay

If you want to add a media basket could make the inlet area bigger. Or could spread out the double baffle after the filter area for a basket to sit. 

14 minutes ago, Gravity said:

If you want to add a media basket could make the inlet area bigger. Or could spread out the double baffle after the filter area for a basket to sit. 

Both sound like good ideas, I could easily steal a bit from the fuge area.

Me and photoshop are going to play around some more and see what we can come up with.

• Like 1

You don't need bubble traps in an AIO false wall...they just impede flow and are more difficult to clean. IM doesn't use them and I have never had an issue. 

Make sure the intake is wide enough to handle the flow. I would just run the return above the pump so you don't have pipes blocking access. You will want a wave maker for main source of flow anyways.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Chione said:

Hm... Gave me more to think about then lol
Would you leave the fuge bare bottomed then and just have one (or two) pod condos?

I made a pod condo and put liverock rubble in it. It sits in my back chamber which has nothing else in it.

Check out all the different methods for refugiums and see what best fits your needs.

In the last two diagrams do the blue arrows indicated flow that will be provided by a pump?  

Overall, I think the design is good.  A 3 x 5 inch space will be a bit tricky to clean, so you might want to consider just two "compartments."  Your heater can be suction cup mounted to a side wall in the same compartment area as your return.  Keep in mind for floss to work effectively, you will need to really force the water directly through it.  Maybe a lid/top shelf of the first chamber with floss on top and your refugium/matrix/whatever else underneath?  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 1:44 PM, Superdave said:

In the last two diagrams do the blue arrows indicated flow that will be provided by a pump?  

Overall, I think the design is good.  A 3 x 5 inch space will be a bit tricky to clean, so you might want to consider just two "compartments."  Your heater can be suction cup mounted to a side wall in the same compartment area as your return.  Keep in mind for floss to work effectively, you will need to really force the water directly through it.  Maybe a lid/top shelf of the first chamber with floss on top and your refugium/matrix/whatever else underneath?  

Refugiums need light though right?

Would making high walled media baskets work? Or would the water still be unlikely to work through?

• 2 weeks later...