SaltCritters.com

Most interactive invert/fish for a 60gallon

ThatNewGuyReefing

ThatNewGuyReefing

I'm curious if there's a invert or fish with a lot of personality that can be in a 60 gallon with 20 gallon sump and skimmer rated for a 150-200 and it came with a bioball trickle section (gonna replace that section with the skimmer and run some chaeto on the other side). I don't mind having the tank work around the inhabitant I want something that likes interaction like a Naso Tang just smaller, I also thought about cuttlefish but don't know much about them. Any recommendations? 

pricewayne

Cuttlefish are adorable, but have an approx 6 month lifespan. There’s a cephalopod forum — tonmo.com. All of the cephalopods have rather short lifespans and most require special equipment, feeding and care.

I’d suggest a puffer fish — very interactive, but also aren’t reef safe. Are you planning to do a fish only tank or are you wanting a reef tank with corals?

• Like 1

Peacock mantis shrimp....islandoftiki had one that would come sit on his wife's hand and liked to play with colored dice and such.

Very intelligent critters.

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

My favorite fish ever was a Mystery Wrasse. Super active and amazing look. 

If I had a tank that size I would start there!

• Like 2
Humblefish

Flasher wrasses will change color depending on the fish's mood, courting behavior, etc. And a 60 gallon is an acceptable size for most fairy + flasher wrasses.

• Like 2
ThatNewGuyReefing
3 minutes ago, Humblefish said:

Flasher wrasses will change color depending on the fish's mood, courting behavior, etc. And a 60 gallon is an acceptable size for most fairy + flasher wrasses.

Would a breeding pair work? Or would it be too small?

Humblefish
4 hours ago, ThatNewGuyReefing said:

Would a breeding pair work? Or would it be too small?

A male + female of the same species should be fine.

A simple cleaner shrimp is one of my favorites, I stick my hand in the tank when cleaning and he crawls all over it and gives me a manicure. He’s always out and active, non stop scavenger too.

• Like 1
ThatNewGuyReefing
2 hours ago, ef4life said:

A simple cleaner shrimp is one of my favorites, I stick my hand in the tank when cleaning and he crawls all over it and gives me a manicure. He’s always out and active, non stop scavenger too.

I have one in my nuvo 10 with my firefish and harlequin. Absolutely love it!

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix

I have a Starry Blenny in my 60G. Full of personality and very interactive too. Constantly perching somewhere where I can see him and he sometimes swims up and down the length of the tank. 

ThatNewGuyReefing
3 hours ago, Humblefish said:

A male + female of the same species should be fine.

Are they hard to breed? And can they be with other fish if I have a pair or would it be best to just have the 2 of them?

3 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I have a Starry Blenny in my 60G. Full of personality and very interactive too. Constantly perching somewhere where I can see him and he sometimes swims up and down the length of the tank. 

Yes, the one I bought a few weeks back is fun to watch now that he’s settled into the tank and not as shy, he has a lot of holes in the rocks he swims in and out of and perches all over. 

• Like 1
ThatNewGuyReefing
11 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I absolutely love these little dudes!!! Honestly is the breeding pair of wrasse works with one I'll do that with maybe a pair of flame prawns or something small like that. Love tiny fish like that haha.

Snow_Phoenix
9 minutes ago, ThatNewGuyReefing said:

I absolutely love these little dudes!!! Honestly is the breeding pair of wrasse works with one I'll do that with maybe a pair of flame prawns or something small like that. Love tiny fish like that haha.

My 60G is actually full of nano fish, with the exception of my Starry, which is 6" long. They're all fun to watch. And since they're small, they have very tiny bioloads too. 

I currently have 1 tangaroa goby, 2 YCGs, 1 GCG, 1 pink streaked wrasse, 2 Occys (1 juvi + 1 baby) and 1 XXL- sized Starry blenny in my 60G. Planning on adding more nanofish in the future. 😊

ThatNewGuyReefing
1 hour ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

My 60G is actually full of nano fish, with the exception of my Starry, which is 6" long. They're all fun to watch. And since they're small, they have very tiny bioloads too. 

I currently have 1 tangaroa goby, 2 YCGs, 1 GCG, 1 pink streaked wrasse, 2 Occys (1 juvi + 1 baby) and 1 XXL- sized Starry blenny in my 60G. Planning on adding more nanofish in the future. 😊

What's an occy? I'm guessing YCG is yellow clown goby and GCG is Green Clown Goby.

• 3 weeks later...