ReefCleaners.org

IM lagoon 50g EXT \(0.O)/

pricewayne

pricewayne

Deliberated between Red Sea and Waterbox for weeks and I've decided to go with an Innovative Marine lagoon 50 gallon EXT. Basic reasoning was with the IM tank I'll get all 50 gallons of water volume in my display tank and the diversity to customize my setup (stand/sump) more to my specific goals. I started my first SW/reef tank in January with a Fluval Evo (fluval on a husky cart link) and am also participating in the pico contest (pynk pico journal link). I've found a lot of joy learning about reef keeping and I'm really thankful for everyone on nano-reef and excited by how much more there is for me to learn!

Lots to do before the lagoon will be up and running -- am going to try my damndest to take it slow. No doubt I'll need some help, especially when it comes time for plumbing. Below is where I'm at and what's still left to think through!

Tank Specs

Display: Innovative Marine Lagoon 50 gallon EXT (30"x24"x16")

Rock: Ordered 60lbs of dry Marco Rock

Substrate: TBD

Sump: Trigger Systems Triton v2 (26"x13"x15") -- 20.4g total volume, with refugium chamber (6g) & skimmer section

Heater: (2) Eheim TruTemp 100W heaters

Heater Controller: TBD -- I haven't tried these yet, but it seems affordable and smart

ATO: XP Aqua Duetto (container is TBD)

Stand: TBD & probably DIY -- I'd like to widen my stand beyond the tank and have it double as a standing desk. I really like stands with simple metal frames and am looking at T Slot aluminum for my frame if I can swing it without breaking the bank.
Lighting: TBD -- am thinking either dual Nanobox Duo or Nanobox Hybrid.. @DaveFason -- look out for an email 🤳

Refugium Light: TBD

Plumbing: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Return Pump: TBD -- once I know plumbing I'll calculate GPH needed for return pump
Powerhead: TBD
Skimmer: TBD
Test Kits: API SW Master kit + Red Sea Reef Foundation kit
Salt: Aquatic Life 4-stage RO/DI + AquaForest Reef salt

Fish livestock is still in progress and for the most part, I'd like it to be well thought out to avoid stocking issues. I may keep my clowns and BTA in my fluval and make it a low maintenance nem setup.

I'd like mixed coral stocking, but SPS dominant.

Projects for this week...

- Stand: if anyone has tips/experience with T Slot aluminum stands, I'd love to chat! I'm in Los Angeles area so if anyone has any contacts, please reach out as well.

- Scape: my rock will deliver on Wednesday. It honestly may take me a couple of weeks just to get my scape laid out/glued and dried.

- Plumbing: want to get a better general understanding of options or how-to's.

- QT Tank: figure out my purchase list and setup for QT.

Think that's all I've got for now... always welcome tips//thoughts or feedback.

Edited by pricewayne
edited project list
  • Like 5
pricewayne
1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

Yasss!  Excited for your upgrade.

Me too!! Really need to buckle down and figure out a solution for my stand... is gonna kill me to stare at a tank in a box once it delivers lol.

• Like 2
NaturallyKait

I shouldn’t follow this because it’s going to make me want to upgrade...but I’m going to anyway lol. 

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, pricewayne said:

Deliberated between Red Sea and Waterbox for weeks and I've decided to go with an Innovative Marine lagoon 50 gallon EXT. Basic reasoning was with the IM tank I'll get all 50 gallons of water volume in my display tank and the diversity to customize my setup (stand/sump) more to my specific goals. I started my first SW/reef tank in January with a Fluval Evo (fluval on a husky cart link) and am also participating in the pico contest (pynk pico journal link). I've found a lot of joy learning about reef keeping and I'm really thankful for everyone on nano-reef and excited by how much more there is for me to learn!

Lots to do before the lagoon will be up and running -- am going to try my damndest to take it slow. No doubt I'll need some help, especially when it comes time for plumbing. Below is where I'm at and what's still left to think through!

Tank Specs

Display: Innovative Marine Lagoon 50 gallon EXT (30"x24"x16")

Rock: Ordered 60lbs of dry Marco Rock

Substrate: TBD

Sump: Trigger Systems Triton v2 (26"x13"x15") -- 20.4g total volume, with refugium chamber (6g) & skimmer section

Heater: (2) Eheim TruTemp 100W heaters

Heater Controller: TBD -- I haven't tried these yet, but it seems affordable and smart

ATO: XP Aqua Duetto (container is TBD)

Stand: TBD & probably DIY -- I'd like to widen my stand beyond the tank and have it double as a standing desk. I really like stands with simple metal frames and am looking at T Slot aluminum for my frame if I can swing it without breaking the bank.
Lighting: TBD -- am thinking either dual Nanobox Duo or Nanobox Hybrid.. @DaveFason -- look out for an email 🤳

Refugium Light: TBD

Plumbing: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Return Pump: TBD -- once I know plumbing I'll calculate GPH needed for return pump
Powerhead: TBD
Skimmer: TBD
Test Kits: API SW Master kit + Red Sea Reef Foundation kit
Salt: Aquatic Life 4-stage RO/DI + AquaForest Reef salt

Fish livestock is still in progress and for the most part, I'd like it to be well thought out to avoid stocking issues. I may keep my clowns and BTA in my fluval and make it a low maintenance nem setup.

I'd like mixed coral stocking, but SPS dominant.

Projects for this week...

- Stand: if anyone has tips/experience with T Slot aluminum stands, I'd love to chat! I'm in Los Angeles area so if anyone has any contacts, please reach out as well.

- Scape: my rock will deliver on Wednesday. It honestly may take me a couple of weeks just to get my scape laid out/glued and dried.

- Plumbing: want to get a better general understanding of options or how-to's.

- QT Tank: figure out my purchase list and setup for QT.

Think that's all I've got for now... always welcome tips//thoughts or feedback.

How exciting!! :haha:

• Like 1
pricewayne
17 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

I shouldn’t follow this because it’s going to make me want to upgrade...but I’m going to anyway lol. 

Hahaha, trust me I know the feeling!

8 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

How exciting!! :haha:

How can I use or find these dancing emojis??? This question has haunted me for months.

• Haha 2
Just now, pricewayne said:

Hahaha, trust me I know the feeling!

How can I use or find these dancing emojis??? This question has haunted me for months.

They are at the very bottom of the list. :wizard:

pricewayne
2 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

They are at the very bottom of the list. :wizard:

Thank you, thank you :bowdown:

Knew they'd be somewhere right in front of my face.

@NaturallyKait.... PS, IM tanks are 25% off on Marine Depot for the holiday weekend :flower:

:happydance::happydance::happydance:

• Haha 1
NaturallyKait
1 minute ago, pricewayne said:

Thank you, thank you :bowdown:

Knew they'd be somewhere right in front of my face.

@NaturallyKait.... PS, IM tanks are 25% off on Marine Depot for the holiday weekend :flower:

:happydance::happydance::happydance:

Haha, I’m in Canada so it’s not a holiday here. 

Plus, I think if I bring a second tank into the house before my first finishes even cycling my spouse may officially declare me off the deep end 😂

• Haha 2
pricewayne
4 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

Haha, I’m in Canada so it’s not a holiday here. 

Plus, I think if I bring a second tank into the house before my first finishes even cycling my spouse may officially declare me off the deep end 😂

Just get a shallow tank so they can't say you're off the deep end :wizard:

• Haha 2
NaturallyKait
1 minute ago, pricewayne said:

Just get a shallow tank so they can't say you're off the deep end :wizard:

Genius. He’s pretty sure I’ve set up a money pit in living room disguised as a fish tank. I’m pretty sure he’s never actually added up what we’ve spent...probably a good thing. :ninja:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
pricewayne
18 hours ago, taima1shu said:

I love the approach you are taking to thinking and planning this build! This is gonna be a exciting build!! 

Thanks!! Part of my getting into the hobby is I’ve hoped it would help me learn some patience lol.

pricewayne

Reaching out to some local fabricators//welders for quotes on a steel stand frame. Want to compare cost//benefit to using T slot for the frame. Going to swing by Home Depot and check out potential counter top options... Home Depot is always a time trap for me.. the plants, the aisles, the questions. Wish me luck 🛠.

Quick//rough sketch of my plans below — appreciate any structural feedback or otherwise:

• Like 1

Wow. This will be a solid build!! Looking forward to it.

Had I seen that 25% sale, I would’ve upgraded too.. maybe good I didn’t.

• Haha 1
pricewayne
On 5/28/2019 at 10:46 AM, Daniel91 said:

Wow. This will be a solid build!! Looking forward to it.

Had I seen that 25% sale, I would’ve upgraded too.. maybe good I didn’t.

Welcome back!! Hope you had a nice vacation.

Don't worry, July 4th is just around the corner and there's bound to be another sale 😉 

• Thanks 1
pricewayne

Quick update on my stand//plans. Think I'll end up going with the 80/20 t-slot aluminum for the stand frame. It isn't too much more than the steel and offers a lot more benefits and longevity. Local distributor warned it may be a 2-6 week lead time, but is confirming the quote tomorrow so 🤞🏻 it's closer to the 2 week lead time.

I made some design changes and made a quick wire frame mock up (yes, am aware I am crazy). Can ignore colors -- still debating how I'd like to skin or attach doors to the front shelving. I'll likely wait to skin the stand until after I have the tank cycling -- don't want to rush that decision and have plenty of other projects to focus on first.

Mock up *should* be proportionate *if* my math was right.

So, it's probably not proportionate.

332181314_ScreenShot2019-05-29at10_46_00PM.thumb.jpg.287f56b43fcd044191a3a9f8a5b787b6.jpg

& view with the cabinet doors 'open':

1907270026_ScreenShot2019-05-29at10_46_07PM.thumb.jpg.f610e2fb49e462ad8ceb5ef3ac2c7faa.jpg

My dry marco rock came in. I laid it all out on a towel to glare at for now. Going to make a cardboard tank & start playing with rocks tomorrow.

After I get the stand frame parts ordered, I'll spend some intimate time with google to answer questions, such as, "what is plumbing", "what is reef plumbing?", "part list for reef plumbing", "tools needed to plumb my reef tank", "does fluorescent pink PVC pipe exist and can i use it to plumb my reef tank", "PVC color options", "why does red sea advertise 'no glue required!' with their plumbing kit", "what to do if your reef tank floods your house" & etc & etc.

Beep boop bop -- more to come soon!

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
That dank Reefer

Dang that’s going to be professional. I just bought the exact tank from them and finished my stand today. The tanks been 25% off for a lil while now, I even got free shipping on mine... crazy deal.

• Like 1
Saltwaterfish

NNice cant wait to see finished product. I'm buying this same tank, but getting the stand as well. I know the stand is pricey and all but getting a nice discount on the stand so figured why not.

• Like 1
pricewayne
On 5/30/2019 at 11:03 PM, That dank Reefer said:

Dang that’s going to be professional. I just bought the exact tank from them and finished my stand today. The tanks been 25% off for a lil while now, I even got free shipping on mine... crazy deal.

3 hours ago, Saltwaterfish said:

NNice cant wait to see finished product. I'm buying this same tank, but getting the stand as well. I know the stand is pricey and all but getting a nice discount on the stand so figured why not.

Nice!! Both of y’all get the EXT or did you get the AIO? I haven’t been able to find too many others that have the EXT yet. Would love to hear your plumbing plans. Just started reading up this morning to get a list of what all I need started.

That dank Reefer
On 6/1/2019 at 8:24 PM, Saltwaterfish said:

The EXT model for sure. Not a fan of the AIO.

Same, not a fan of aio unless it’s a small tank. Ext is the best option available in my opinion. Plus all that extra space is great, it looks way bigger than the internal overflow they make.