SaltCritters.com

Tigahboy's 20g Project - Still No Catchy Title Yet

Tigahboy

These clowns were begging me to take them home.  Too bad my tank is not cycled (and my son only wants regular clowns).  😢

IMG_20190616_145742_657.thumb.jpg.10b663c5950fac470bb30684d0a177a1.jpg

Taken at Harry's Marine Life in Gardena.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

These clowns were begging me to take them home.  Too bad my tank is not cycled (and my son only wants regular clowns).  😢

IMG_20190616_145742_657.thumb.jpg.10b663c5950fac470bb30684d0a177a1.jpg

Taken at Harry's Marine Life in Gardena.

Going to need to stop here soon. Place must be new, I use to live in Gardena years back and never heard of it. It's down the street from good ol' Reefer Madness, remember that place?

Please tell me you saw some Midnight clowns too. Think the tribe has spoken...Midnight and Phantom Clown pair are a go. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, knox_legend said:

I’m on the fence if I want some clowns or not. I know the kids would be all about it but I just am not convinced yet. 

Hehe.  My son still wants the plain old regular clown, so going to have to get 1 of those and then 1 of something else for me as a compromise.  There are so many variations now, I feel like there's a clown for everyone.

3 hours ago, haks said:

Going to need to stop here soon. Place must be new, I use to live in Gardena years back and never heard of it. It's down the street from good ol' Reefer Madness, remember that place?

Please tell me you saw some Midnight clowns too. Think the tribe has spoken...Midnight and Phantom Clown pair are a go. 

I think they did have midnights.  Harry's used to be wholesale only and just recently opened to the public.  Definitely worth a visit. Some things there are pretty dirt cheap.  If you follow them on IG or FB, they post sale events and such.

3 hours ago, 748S911 said:

😍

E92924C1-5B1E-470C-B455-2D88828C1CE6.jpeg

Yeah, those clowns are so nice.  I may get 1 of those for myself and let my son have his plain clown.  

• Haha 1
Christopher Marks
10 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Hehe.  My son still wants the plain old regular clown, so going to have to get 1 of those and then 1 of something else for me as a compromise.

Haha I like this kid! I'm fascinated by all the variants breeders have created, but I still prefer a classic ocellaris clownfish over them all. 😅

So many awesome LFS's in So Cal! 

• Haha 4
1 minute ago, Christopher Marks said:

Haha I like this kid! I'm fascinated by all the variants breeders have created, but I still prefer a classic ocellaris clownfish over them all. 😅

So many awesome LFS's in So Cal! 

I ask him like every couple days which one he likes on the poster and he consistently points to the regular ocellaris.  

Yeah, we definitely have a decent number of LFSs over here (but they are all really spread out).  If you are going to RAP in Anaheim, you should stop by a bunch.  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Still not cycled.  Day 19 now.  Nitrites just can't get down to zero (or even close) within 24 hours. 

At Dr. Tim's (or his staff's) suggestion, I reduced the dosing of ammonia down to 0.5 and I'm gradually ramping up if nitrites can be processed to 0 within 24 hours.  Nitrites gone within 24 hours after 0.5, so increased to 1ppm last night.

Anyway, my wife told me that pretty much every day my son reminds her that we should be getting plain clownfish (and he even affirmatively rejected orange snowflakes), so I've decided to just go with a pair of regular clowns.  LOL. 

Surprisingly, finding a pair of bonded plain clowns is pretty darn hard.  I guess no demand for them.  So I may have to just get two youngins and hope they pair up later.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
5 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Still not cycled.  Day 19 now.  Nitrites just can't get down to zero (or even close) within 24 hours. 

At Dr. Tim's (or his staff's) suggestion, I reduced the dosing of ammonia down to 0.5 and I'm gradually ramping up if nitrites can be processed to 0 within 24 hours.  Nitrites gone within 24 hours after 0.5, so increased to 1ppm last night.

Anyway, my wife told me that pretty much every day my son reminds her that we should be getting plain clownfish (and he even affirmatively rejected orange snowflakes), so I've decided to just go with a pair of regular clowns.  LOL. 

Surprisingly, finding a pair of bonded plain clowns is pretty darn hard.  I guess no demand for them.  So I may have to just get two youngins and hope they pair up later.

I would totally ignore my kid :naughtydance: check out Sandbar in Mission Viejo they always have a nice selection of small clowns 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
9 minutes ago, medinar83 said:

I would totally ignore my kid :naughtydance: check out Sandbar in Mission Viejo they always have a nice selection of small clowns 

LOL.  

I'll check out Sandbar.  I did see a ton of clowns last time I visited.  

• Like 1

I have seen normal ones on Divers Den, retired ORA breeding pairs. You might be able to order something through Sustainable Aquatics too, they have big sizes and pairs sometimes. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I have seen normal ones on Divers Den, retired ORA breeding pairs. You might be able to order something through Sustainable Aquatics too, they have big sizes and pairs sometimes. 

Retired ORA breeding pair would be sweet.  I'll keep an eye out.  

• Like 1

@NaturallyKait so it's been 2 weeks with the SpinStream running and mine is definitely not silent.  Definitely quieter than when I first stuck it on, but still hear the moving parts. 

I have gotten used to it though... Innovative Marine said they'd happily replace it and that I could have one that may not quiet down, but do I really want to run another loud SpinStream for 2 more weeks to see if I get a quieter one??  

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
NaturallyKait
29 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

@NaturallyKait so it's been 2 weeks with the SpinStream running and mine is definitely not silent.  Definitely quieter than when I first stuck it on, but still hear the moving parts. 

I have gotten used to it though... Innovative Marine said they'd happily replace it and that I could have one that may not quiet down, but do I really want to run another loud SpinStream for 2 more weeks to see if I get a quieter one??  

Good to know. I think I’ll go with RFG instead. Can’t risk the noise, that’s a recipe for disaster in this house. I have some time to decide anyway. My spouse would kill me if I ordered anything else this week after light upgrades 😂😂

• Haha 1

Picked up some Poly Filter Floss from @inTank.  First time using it, but it looks like quality and a ton comes with one order.  I've ordered a few things from inTank in the past and always happy with how fast items ship and responsiveness.  Thanks, @inTank

IMG_20190619_195805_515.thumb.jpg.5238a57cec035d046c11a618e14c58e0.jpg

Floss goin' in!

VID_intank.gif.7d09180e788cc7dc835db0e6e95bbda5.gif

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
This guy is extra salty
22 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Got my 75w Cobalt heater today too.  The 100w seemed too big for the 3rd chamber, so I returned that.

IMG_20190619_201028_232.thumb.jpg.a2d7ef679bce42a0c10ec59cd31441dc.jpg

Those neotherms scare me

Let me know how you like the poly filter. I have a couple sheets left over from over the years. 

Running a  baster in the second chamber? 

Just now, This guy is extra salty said:

Those neotherms scare me

I know it has some bad reviews.... But honestly, every heater can and will fail.  So you can either be scared of all or none.  I choose none.  LOL. 

In any event, it's the only one that will fit in the third chamber so rolling the dice.  I'm gonna learn from @748S911 and live life on the edge more.

1 minute ago, haks said:

Let me know how you like the poly filter. I have a couple sheets left over from over the years. 

Running a  baster in the second chamber? 

LOL.  Yup, second chamber is my baster storage chamber.  🙂 

I used to use floss like that, I got sick of cutting it to size. I use the stuff that looks like pillow stuffing now. just grab a ball of it and stuff it in your media basket. I actually think it filters finer stuff out because I have to change it more often 

13 minutes ago, ef4life said:

I used to use floss like that, I got sick of cutting it to size. I use the stuff that looks like pillow stuffing now. just grab a ball of it and stuff it in your media basket. I actually think it filters finer stuff out because I have to change it more often 

Hmm. Telling me I have to change out the media more often is not gonna sell me on it.  Lol. 

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I know it has some bad reviews.... But honestly, every heater can and will fail.  So you can either be scared of all or none.  I choose none.  LOL. 

In any event, it's the only one that will fit in the third chamber so rolling the dice.  I'm gonna learn from @748S911 and live life on the edge more.

LOL.  Yup, second chamber is my baster storage chamber.  🙂 

LMAO.... Bro I haven't tested my water yet on any tank...and I've got all the cool Hannah checkers too.  I don't even have a refractometer.....smh I gave my swing arm to my cousin and my other refractometer is in storage.  I'm mixing salt like an old Italian mom cooks pasta.  Hahahahaha.. 

I guess it's second nature now 😁

• Wow 1