Cultivated Reef

Tigahboy's 20g Project - Still No Catchy Title Yet

Tigahboy

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
4 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Do it, am going to do this on my 34 😄

Be interesting to see them in Saltwater (Previously Brackish) hopefully slower growth

It would add a little spice to the tank for sure. I might see what Katie thinks..

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Man you got me thinking about doing something like that in my water box. It looks pretty awesome. :smilie:

You take the most amazing pics my friend. I am so envious of the photography that people have. My pics look like garbage :lol:

Yes, go for it!  It really adds something extra to the tank.  

And thanks!  Just my handy Pixel 2 plus a lens.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Yes, go for it!  It really adds something extra to the tank.  

And thanks!  Just my handy Pixel 2 plus a lens.

Damn, what kind of lens?? I have the pixel xl... hopefully a pixel 4 soon. I have the yellow and orange filter and I can get some decent shots but nothing like you can take.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Damn, what kind of lens?? I have the pixel xl... hopefully a pixel 4 soon. I have the yellow and orange filter and I can get some decent shots but nothing like you can take.

You should be taking some killer shots then!  Pixel takes great photos.  I use both PolypLab and Reeflens.  I used the PolypLab (just the yellow lens) for the Halimeda shot.  

• Like 2

OK.  It's Halloween time and I really want a Halloween Hermit Crab.  I've never had one before. 

Are they generally peaceful or will it kill Connie the Conch.  I don't want anything messing with Connie.  LMK.  Thanks!

• Like 4
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

You should be taking some killer shots then!  Pixel takes great photos.  I use both PolypLab and Reeflens.  I used the PolypLab (just the yellow lens) for the Halimeda shot.  

It takes good pics just not of my tank :lol:. I have something similar to the polyplab.. it's an amazon deal my wife got me for Christmas. I just can't seem to ever get clear close shots of the tank. I'm not good at taking pics :sideeyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I even use Lightroom and I am even worse at touching pics up than I am of actually taking a nice clean shot.

I find my pictures are better in natural light, my phone just cant cope. Sends the WB haywire and I can't be arsed to sit and faff around with it

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I even use Lightroom and I am even worse at touching pics up than I am of actually taking a nice clean shot.

I touch up a little and crop on Instagram.  That's it.  Easy peasy.

Here's the edited version:

IMG_20191002_054949_755.thumb.jpg.650c029cbfbbdfe74fc62d7cef39e9fe.jpg

And here's the unedited version:

MVIMG_20191001_230625.thumb.jpg.8933ba4011b25bf850f89a1d0b04d35b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

I find my pictures are better in natural light, my phone just cant cope. Sends the WB haywire and I can't be arsed to sit and faff around with it

Where my tank is the afternoon sun comes in my living room and it looks so amazing. I can't get a good pic worth a damn to capture it... I'll try to get a shot of it tonight.

I touch up a little and crop on Instagram.  That's it.  Easy peasy.

Here's the edited version:

IMG_20191002_054949_755.thumb.jpg.650c029cbfbbdfe74fc62d7cef39e9fe.jpg

And here's the unedited version:

MVIMG_20191001_230625.thumb.jpg.8933ba4011b25bf850f89a1d0b04d35b.jpg

wow that looks good. Do you try and have the lights in the room off when you take pictures?

• Like 1

wow that looks good. Do you try and have the lights in the room off when you take pictures?

Yup, lights in the room are always off.  Phone should be perfectly still when snapping the shot (can use tripod, timer, or rest it against the glass).  Turning off pumps help.  Move your phone closer or further away to get the auto focus circle to lock on to the subject (or just tap the screen to set the focus).  I set my NanoBox lights to midday setting so it looks more white than blue.  I like the natural look and the colors seem more real to me.  

Giving away all my trade secrets today.  :lol:

• Like 4
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Yup, lights in the room are always off.  Phone should be perfectly still when snapping the shot (can use tripod, timer, or rest it against the glass).  Turning off pumps help.  Move your phone closer or further away to get the auto focus circle to lock on to the subject (or just tap the screen to set the focus).  I set my NanoBox lights to midday setting so it looks more white than blue.  I like the natural look and the colors seem more real to me.  

Giving away all my trade secrets today.  :lol:

I always wondered about the room lights. I'm gonna try that tonight and maybe set the prime a little on white side and try to get pics again. I like the tank more heavy blue.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I always wondered about the room lights. I'm gonna try that tonight and maybe set the prime a little on white side and try to get pics again. I like the tank more heavy blue.

I look forward to seeing them.  I agree that things pop more under heavy blue, but it's definitely harder to get a good photo.  When I take photos under blues, I use the orange lens (while I use yellow for daylights) since that filters out the blues better.  Some white balance adjusting may be needed as well.  

• Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, Tigahboy said:

I look forward to seeing them.  I agree that things pop more under heavy blue, but it's definitely harder to get a good photo.  When I take photos under blues, I use the orange lens (while I use yellow for daylights) since that filters out the blues better.  Some white balance adjusting may be needed as well.  

I'll grab some shots when I get home and post em to my journal. There is a shot that I really wanna capture, I just can't get it to come out. With what you told me maybe I can get a good pic :wink:

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

OK.  It's Halloween time and I really want a Halloween Hermit Crab.  I've never had one before. 

Are they generally peaceful or will it kill Connie the Conch.  I don't want anything messing with Connie.  LMK.  Thanks!

Pretty mellow dudes for a hermit. I did catch mine eating limpets though. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

TB, 

I remember you from RC and you 6 bookshelf pico reef!

Cant remember if it was a 6 gallon or a 12 gallon, but it was stunning even back then.

I love what you've done with this 20 gallon AIO tank.

Oddly enough, I stumbled into your thread while doing research for my desired set up.

You even caused me to join NR.com in order to subscribe to your thread!

It looks great, please keep up the good work.

• Like 6
12 hours ago, MaxxII said:

TB, 

I remember you from RC and you 6 bookshelf pico reef!

Cant remember if it was a 6 gallon or a 12 gallon, but it was stunning even back then.

I love what you've done with this 20 gallon AIO tank.

Oddly enough, I stumbled into your thread while doing research for my desired set up.

You even caused me to join NR.com in order to subscribe to your thread!

It looks great, please keep up the good work.

Blast from the past!  Thanks for stopping by!  That pico was actually 2.5g plus 2.5g above-tank sump.  Circa 2005.  

And thank you for the kind words.  Good luck with your new set-up.  Looking forward to checking it out! 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

New additions arriving tomorrow from New Jersey and San Diego!  Stay tuned!

What could they be!? I can't wait to find out! 😁

These tanks are looking fresh! So glad to see the macros are doing well in addition to all the corals and fish.

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, billygoat said:

What could they be!? I can't wait to find out! 😁

These tanks are looking fresh! So glad to see the macros are doing well in addition to all the corals and fish.

Got a decent mix of stuff, but you'll have to wait and see!  Might also drop by a local reefer's place tomorrow as well so may end up with more stuff.  When it rains, it pours I guess.

Also, only thing that isn't doing well is my Indo torch (the most expensive thing I have in my tank of course).  It lost quite a bit of color (maybe too much light), but otherwise looks fine.  I'm taking the wait-and-see approach before moving it though.  I could also adjust my Nanbox settings as well if I can figure out how to do that.  LOL.

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
34 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

#branchlife

IMG_20191003_213117_900.thumb.jpg.2a52b70fd6fddbcbfa9b1ea575b1b137.jpg

The growth pattern on this branching GSP is turning out to be pretty epic.  

Need this yesterday 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

FTS Friday! 

IMG_20191004_055249_145.thumb.jpg.90af0cd7e6e2d07860e93108f6ce28fb.jpg

Moved 2 of the sinularia frags to the top of the scape behind the peak.  Can't see them yet in an FTS, but once they grow a little it should look nice.

IMG_20191004_055648_170.thumb.jpg.8abdf1a026b5cd225b14b7cedfa260f4.jpg

• Like 7

Gorgeous GSP! I love the Sinularia too. That's going to look super choice once it grows in and starts to surround the crown of the top rock there. 👌

Really though we need to get a catchy title up in this business. You've been up and running for what, like four months now? 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2