Pod Your Reef

Tigahboy's 20g Project - Still No Catchy Title Yet

Tigahboy

19 minutes ago, Justind823 said:

That pink nephthea 🤤

Where did you get those? I've never seen frags attached to brick before 😄

Local reefer.  We have like at least 3 reefers selling them down here.  None of them ship tho.  You can buy a frag from me next time you are down here or I can ask the local reefers if they have anymore.   Yeah, first time seeing bricks for me as well.  I took them off, but I saved them.  Just in case.  LOL.

• Wow 1
4 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Local reefer.  We have like at least 3 reefers selling them down here.  None of them ship tho.  You can buy a frag from me next time you are down here or I can ask the local reefers if they have anymore.   Yeah, first time seeing bricks for me as well.  I took them off, but I saved them.  Just in case.  LOL.

Haha you never know when you'll need to break a window, good save 🤪

Funny, I'm actually headed down right now! Getting on my flight in an hour into LGB. I'm definitely interested... I would just need to figure out how to get it back up here. 🤔

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Justind823 said:

Haha you never know when you'll need to break a window, good save 🤪

Funny, I'm actually headed down right now! Getting on my flight in an hour into LGB. I'm definitely interested... I would just need to figure out how to get it back up here. 🤔

DMed you info.  I wish I knew, but I've never flown with coral.  Seems like a lot of ppl do it though (e.g., out of town MACNA and Reefapalooza attendees).

• Like 3
This guy is extra salty
18 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

DMed you info.  I wish I knew, but I've never flown with coral.  Seems like a lot of ppl do it though (e.g., out of town MACNA and Reefapalooza attendees).

You can fly with it as long as you have the container with you and the fluid is no more than 32 oz. and you have to state it is vital for your “comfort animal” to have that water for its survival. 17A76518-07EA-4326-A232-F1906F64116E.thumb.jpeg.e01d8ad2051d3378d02339a9d2a3d096.jpeg720AC10A-475F-407D-B1F7-343599446617.thumb.jpeg.3fb79c82074f89521fd0f8a646ca31eb.jpeg

• Haha 5

Trying to stick to my desert theme as much as possible.  Been thinking about adding some colors with coral that evoke the look of California desert wildflowers.  So purples, yellows, and oranges.  Zoas and sun coral are some options.  Any others come to mind?

And a tank shot from tonight.

IMG_20190904_195634_599.thumb.jpg.82968bedf9afa6f0d6028aa15436866f.jpg

• Like 6

Yeah, other than all that water in there, it's looking pretty arid lol - clove polyps can look like little flowers of coarse - all green frogspawn may represent a cholla.. slightly - Looking good btw!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, billygoat said:

Honestly it looks gorgeous just the way it is. Sun coral is a cool idea though. They are super beautiful, and kind of remind me of cactus flowers.

Thank you!  Have a few shaded areas that could definitely use some sun coral.  Will have to hunt some down.

9 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Yeah, other than all that water in there, it's looking pretty arid lol - clove polyps can look like little flowers of coarse - all green frogspawn may represent a cholla.. slightly - Looking good btw!

LOL.  If my tank doesn't make you thirsty, I've failed you.

I do like clove polyps and frogspawn as well.  And thanks!

• Haha 1

Love this tank.
Could go for some pectinia or off-colored acro's for tumbleweeds or thistles, stylocoeniella might look like small flowers when it encrusts on the rockwork, cyphastrea may as well... 
Elephant's skin coral or hydophora might like kind of desert-ish too... Don't know haha...

• Like 3

Huh, that's a great comparison to hydnophora actually, not just because they look similar, but also when considering how unfortunate it is to exist as just about any living creature within 100 feet of that cacti, not too unlike the coral's absurd aggression and dangerous mucus coat in the aquarium lol... I honestly can't think of a single coral species which can survive being too close to a hydnophora, which is a shame since they really do look like a cactus and are quite beautiful when they have good polyp extension. (also damn-near impossible to kill for a sps-relative)

I mean, here's a video of hydophora literally eating an aiptasia anemone.

• Wow 6
This guy is extra salty
18 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Trying to stick to my desert theme as much as possible.  Been thinking about adding some colors with coral that evoke the look of California desert wildflowers.  So purples, yellows, and oranges.  Zoas and sun coral are some options.  Any others come to mind?

And a tank shot from tonight.

IMG_20190904_195634_599.thumb.jpg.82968bedf9afa6f0d6028aa15436866f.jpg

How is your mangrove doing? 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Amphrites said:

Love this tank.
Could go for some pectinia or off-colored acro's for tumbleweeds or thistles, stylocoeniella might look like small flowers when it encrusts on the rockwork, cyphastrea may as well... 
Elephant's skin coral or hydophora might like kind of desert-ish too... Don't know haha...

11 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

+1 hydophora - that stuff looks very much like spikey cholla cacti. What a crazy theme - but very amusing - just like an oxymoron should be  😄

All good suggestions!  Hyophora definitely looks like a cholla cactus.

7 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

How is your mangrove doing? 

They are doing just OK. I really need a light over them, but can't decide on the light (and not thrilled about cluttering the space).  I water them every other day.  You getting some?

• Like 1

True story. After putting a baby WWC OG bounce in my tank then coming back to find that it had floated away somewhere (still haven't found it), I decided to get a shroom box. 

Behold this sweet sweet Tesseract shroom box made by @This guy is extra salty.  It's simply amazing.  And now I finally have all the Infinity Stones as well!  Time to snappy snappy some annoying reefers away.  

IMG_20190905_235033_114.thumb.jpg.0b83c9cf32314d4359bdb5b745364de4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
15 hours ago, Amphrites said:

Huh, that's a great comparison to hydophora actually, not just because they look similar, but also when considering how unfortunate it is to exist as just about any living creature within 100 feet of that cacti, not too unlike the coral's absurd aggression and dangerous mucus coat in the aquarium lol... I honestly can't think of a single coral species which can survive being too close to a hydnophora, which is a shame since they really do look like a cactus and are quite beautiful when they have good polyp extension. (also damn-near impossible to kill for a sps-relative)

I mean, here's a video of hydophora literally eating an aiptasia anemone.

OMG... That is so incredible :whoa:

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, William said:

For the mangrove light, maybe a narrow beam par bulb mounted on the ceiling ? 

Mounting/hanging anything from the ceiling is hard.  It's really high.  May need to clip on one of those bulbs.  Or I may just take the mangroves out.

Looks great! And also looks like you got the Pavona and Euphyllia mounted up on the rocks. Very nice. 👌

Regarding mangroves: the truth is that unless they are enormous with a huge, well-developed root system, their nutrient uptake can't hold a candle to that of macroalgae like Caulerpa, Ulva, or Chaeto. Despite their reputation for filtering the water, their role in a home aquarium system is almost always simply aesthetic. They are of course super cool, but taking care of them is kind of a giant PITA; they need very strong light, a thick substrate to root in, and regular misting with fresh water in order to thrive.

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I have been laughing about this all day.

btw may I use the image?

😄 Sure, go for it. I posted a vid on Instagram as well.

Was gone a few days on vacation and came home last night to my 20g looking pretty good.

IMG_20190909_083331_163.thumb.jpg.d9d345c2997beedf96f5b6c21a3c0c05.jpg

Then I realized I forgot to plug back in my ATO and the water level in the return chamber was just above the return pump (with heater exposed). 🤦‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Wow 3