Pod Your Reef

Tigahboy's 20g Project - Still No Catchy Title Yet

Tigahboy

The one thing that I was interested in getting at RAP, but could not find, was a Japanese deepwater toadstool. 

Whenever I saw a funky looking toadstool, I'd ask the vendor what kind it was and was disappointed every time they said it was just a Tyree or something else.  

If anyone has leads on a Japanese deepwater, LMK please.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

The one thing that I was interested in getting at RAP, but could not find, was a Japanese deepwater toadstool. 

Whenever I saw a funky looking toadstool, I'd ask the vendor what kind it was and was disappointed every time they said it was just a Tyree or something else.  

What do they look like 

13 minutes ago, William said:

What do they look like 

It has larger,green polyps and a green base.  Slow grower.  

@medinar83 you should post a photo of yours!  I tried to find it on your IG, but no luck.  

13 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Here's a better photo of my toadstool from RAP.

IMG_20190819_184841_372.thumb.jpg.71cbb14b25e422e4e23b985a5e7f58d2.jpg

And Nemo still lovin' the duncans.

IMG_20190819_184734_476.thumb.jpg.afa3f111f0be44e9faaa4da3272e0b91.jpg

IMG_20190819_184534_897.thumb.jpg.9238c1b781a1a219215b119f782de8f0.jpg

My clowns, in both tanks prefer to host Duncan’s over anything else 

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, William said:

My clowns, in both tanks prefer to host Duncan’s over anything else 

Something about the duncans I guess.  Another reefer on IG was suggesting I get duncans for the clowns as well. 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Have you checked out Ali's Reef Store in the OC? He has a bunch of different toadstools so he might have a deepwater version

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Cathy_O1234 said:

Your tank is really coming together!! Love following your progress here and on Instagram! Gives me something to look up to 🤩

Thank you!  And thanks for following along!

8 hours ago, Red_Blenny said:

Have you checked out Ali's Reef Store in the OC? He has a bunch of different toadstools so he might have a deepwater version

I've been there a couple times recently, but wasn't looking for the toadstool at those times.  May need to check it out again, though his store hours are like impossible.  LOL.  

10 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Still need to remove some plugs and glue stuff down, but here's tonight's FTS with all the new goodies.  

IMG_20190819_215121_296.thumb.jpg.1a85fe6c5b94fe890f22b043944b671e.jpg

Love the shape of the reef.  

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Love the shape of the reef.  

:smilie:  Thanks for stopping by!  I'm hoping to go green-heavy with this and leave a lot of the scape/peaks exposed.   But if it ends up looking like crap, I'll add some color.  LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Marine farmers has the japanese deep water toad.  Good reputation.  Haven’t bought from them myself, but I’ve been eyeing some of his frags for a while.  Now gonna have to wait with the new tank being set up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Opotter said:

Marine farmers has the japanese deep water toad.  Good reputation.  Haven’t bought from them myself, but I’ve been eyeing some of his frags for a while.  Now gonna have to wait with the new tank being set up.

Thanks!  I'll check em out.

3 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

I shall name this one “one-sided peninsula”. 

Figured Ed you might need some suggestions after 19 pages of no tank title/name 🤪

LOL.  Hey, any regular tank can be a peninsula, and any peninsula can be a regular tank.  You just have to believe.

And yes, still need a catchy title.  

• Like 1
On 8/21/2019 at 12:28 AM, Amphrites said:

Saltwater Desert biotope, codename nevada, now with 100% more duncan kisses.

Are barrel cacti small spine stony corals? 
Discuss.

Codename Nevada is pretty cool

3 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Duncan and toadstool all settled in.

IMG_20190821_214551_407.thumb.jpg.d772fb830e54db798503a1fc9c7ee1d0.jpg

IMG_20190821_213504_538.thumb.jpg.4bc734ae8758b11a58b2533c9758416d.jpg

That Toadstool looks unlike anything I have seen before, cute Murderfish too

• Like 2

Did you see Jake's article on the Weeping Willow over at ReefBuilders?

"If you think you have one of the Weeping Willow’s sibling hit us up @reefbuilders on InstaGram as we’d love to see it, and if it fits the bill we might even consider trading for some of the original weeping willow toadstool leather coral."

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Codename Nevada is pretty cool

That Toadstool looks unlike anything I have seen before, cute Murderfish too

The vendor was selling it as a "Weeping Willow", but yes, as haks mentions below, there's an article by Jake Adams about what is a REAL Weeping Willow.  Why can't there be multiple weeping willows?  LOL.  Either way, it was super unique and was the first coral to catch my eye at that vendor's booth.

7 minutes ago, haks said:

Did you see Jake's article on the Weeping Willow over at ReefBuilders?

"If you think you have one of the Weeping Willow’s sibling hit us up @reefbuilders on InstaGram as we’d love to see it, and if it fits the bill we might even consider trading for some of the original weeping willow toadstool leather coral."

Yup, that's the only reason why I haven't been calling it a "Weeping Willow" despite it being sold to me as such.  I don't want the Weeping Willow Police or Jake Adams to come after me.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 3

I've been on the hunt for a japanese deepwater for a HOT minute ever since I first saw one online. I've seen one and it wasn't for sale at one of the old LFS's in my area. Tiny base but it had some amazing polyps.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

Yup, that's the only reason why I haven't been calling it a "Weeping Willow" despite it being sold to me as such.  I don't want the Weeping Willow Police or Jake Adams to come after me.

LMAO.

Wonder what the price for a frag would be, if one would ever go up for sale.

Here's the link to the article for those interested:

https://reefbuilders.com/2019/07/30/video-details-the-attributes-of-true-weeping-willow-leather/

And of course this would be new to LA's Diver's Den

https://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/476207/tcn-tyree-limited-edition-neon-polyp-toadstool-leather-coral

• Like 1