ReefCleaners.org

Tigahboy's 20g Project - Still No Catchy Title Yet

Tigahboy

1 hour ago, knox_legend said:

I just did the same today, Poseidon’s feast and phyto. 

Sweet!  We on the same tank track.  

Hmmm, how do you know that wasn't just water?? I'm not sure a placebo effect is going to give you the results you're looking for..  😆

Haha - coming along nicely - things are looking clean!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Wonderboy said:

Hmmm, how do you know that wasn't just water?? I'm not sure a placebo effect is going to give you the results you're looking for..  😆

I swished some around in my mouth before I dumped it in. Tasted salty.  

• Haha 5
8 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

I literally cannot see your name without thinking of the Tenacious D song, also you're supposed to taste the corals to make sure they're authentic anyway right, I know always sniff-check my rocks to make sure they're not cheap nock-offs. Gotta have that good funk to em', side note do corals smell oddly citrusy to anyone else?

• Haha 3

I know what you mean by smelling the rock; I use and trust my senses when it comes to adding new/different materials/water, but I honestly can't recall smelling any corals :lol:  I'm tempted to go pull something out right now for some type of new experience. This better not be one of those accidental discoveries where I come across some type of hallucinogen coral... Don't worry, I won't lick anything.

• Like 2

Background, I have hyperosmia so I don't really need to literally sniff the coral lol palytoxin and whatnot, I just smell them in the water or any time I'm working with them outside the tank.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Honestly I get the exact same sinking feeling any time I open a box and it's snackless as well, as an adult I've come to cope by pretending I'm more interested in the various other goodies within the box. But it still hurts every time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, ef4life said:

If my metal halide ever burns out I’m getting a nanobox duo, such a clean light setup

Metal halide.  Dang.  You truly are old school.  😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
17 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

NanoBox Duo arrived!  Thanks @DaveFason

IMG_20190628_153728_567.thumb.jpg.5ac97666ab2f381a31313d9594c7561c.jpg

IMG_20190628_153830_623.thumb.jpg.6f14a288c5609b3f8390d7216dadc7c8.jpg

Side note, my son was disappointed that there wasn't any swedish fish inside the package.  Lol. 

Clean!

• Like 1

I think the positioning of the backlight in relation to the nanobox is perfect. Really love the streaky hazy horizon lines that the backlight now creates on the wall

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Tempestas said:

I think the positioning of the backlight in relation to the nanobox is perfect. Really love the streaky hazy horizon lines that the backlight now creates on the wall

I agree with this. I really like your use of backlights, both here and on your pico as well. I think they are a very underutilized option in general and a great alternative to the "plain black" background that many of us (myself included) currently use. When you're observing the tank from the front, the backlight gives an impression of depth that is difficult to achieve otherwise. It's very pleasing to the eye.

• Like 6
6 hours ago, Tempestas said:

Thanks!  I didn't add the frosting/vinyl film to this tank so the backlight doesn't spread as evenly as my pico.  But I do like the look that it creates against the wall as well.  :)

46 minutes ago, billygoat said:

I agree with this. I really like your use of backlights, both here and on your pico as well. I think they are a very underutilized option in general and a great alternative to the "plain black" background that many of us (myself included) currently use. When you're observing the tank from the front, the backlight gives an impression of depth that is difficult to achieve otherwise. It's very pleasing to the eye.

Thank you!  Appreciate the feedback.  I've always been a big fan of clear back tanks, and the backlighting definitely gives the tank a little something extra.  

• Like 2

Really nice start! I always loved tanks with back-lighting and shadowboxes and it is something I have wanted to do before but non of my tanks are suitable to try it. They either all came pre-blacked out AIO's or set up as a peninsula... or my pico which I broke... soo. 😛 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I ended up ordering basic Nemos since my son has been reminding me everyday that he wants regular Nemos.  LOL.  Ordered a nano-sized (0.5-1") and a small-sized (1-1.25") ocellaris from Sustainable Aquatics (via CoralReefTN.com) in hopes of them pairing one day.  Both CoralReefTN and SA were very easy to work with and answered all my [numerous] questions.   

They will be shipped direct from Sustainable Aquatics's breeding facility which is great.  Representative photo from CoralReefTN's website:

image.png.83cf35efb3bbc3c3c1ad94a4adb75352.png

I asked Sustainable Aquatics why these were labeled as "SA Fancy" and listed under the "Designer" clownfish page, and received this response:  "The ocellaris you have listed above are our 'SA Fancy' line, which means they have a bit more red/orange color and a more pronounced black outline. Since the SA Fancy is something we have selected for over several generations, we list it under the designer category."

So low-key designer clowns?  :lol: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
NaturallyKait
2 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I ended up ordering basic Nemos.  LOL.  Ordered a nano-sized (0.5-1") and a small-sized (1-1.25") ocellaris from Sustainable Aquatics (via CoralReefTN.com) in hopes of them pairing one day.  Both CoralReefTN and SA were very easy to work with and answered all my [numerous] questions. 

They will be shipped direct from Sustainable Aquatics's breeding facility which is great.  Representative photo from CoralReefTN's website:

image.png.83cf35efb3bbc3c3c1ad94a4adb75352.png

I asked Sustainable Aquatics why these were labeled as "SA Fancy" and listed under the "Designer" clownfish page, and received this response:  "The ocellaris you have listed above are our 'SA Fancy' line, which means they have a bit more red/orange color and a more pronounced black outline. Since the SA Fancy is something we have selected for over several generations, we list it under the designer category."

So low-key designer clowns?  :lol: 

The kids always get their way eh? Mine is still pointing to Nemo on the TV and pointing to the tank begging for clownfish but our LFS still doesn’t have them in lol. 

• Like 2