Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tigahboy's 20g Project - Still No Catchy Title Yet

Tigahboy

On 10/25/2019 at 7:21 AM, billygoat said:

How about an actual cactus somewhere in this scene? Like a nice potted one that goes on the floor between/next to the tanks perhaps? 😁

Not a bad idea.  Tho I just swapped out the cacti on the stand with some seasonally appropriate decor.  😄

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Oh man, the color on that fungia, just wow.

They always look the most colorful when recessed and pissed off.  :lol: 

I hope the purple rim still shows when it is settled in tho.  fingerscrossed

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

They always look the most colorful when recessed and pissed off.  :lol: 

I hope the purple rim still shows when it is settled in tho.  fingerscrossed

Hate to be a party pooper... I never saw purple when it was happy :mellow:

• Sad 2
1 hour ago, medinar83 said:

Hate to be a party pooper... I never saw purple when it was happy :mellow:

Bummer.  Still a beautiful plate tho!

11 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Time to get some perching fish I guess, keep it pissy keep it pretty XD

Lol.  A cute clown goby could work. 

• Like 1
On 10/15/2019 at 9:02 PM, Tigahboy said:

Also, I've noticed the halimeda sprouting up in random places and the palm caulerpa that I put behind the rockwork has sent a runner under the rock and is sprouting two little buds in the front. 

IMG_20191015_210042_401.thumb.jpg.b58647c6f04ef9390d7ba3ff78abcead.jpg

Gonna be a macroalgae jungle up in here.  I don't mind tho.  

Almost 2 weeks later and these tiny sprouts pictured above now look like this:

IMG_20191028_200736_132.thumb.jpg.8388f619015053a46fa833ed6252733c.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 2
9 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Yeah I was gonna say, that actually looks a lot like Caulerpa to me! 😄 You should be able to feel the runner right under the sand, so you can clip it if it starts to sprout up in a spot where you don't want it to be.

Really beautiful new additions as well. If you look at it sideways... with the polyps extended... and kind of squint real hard... a Fungia kind of looks like a cactus! 🤔😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
46 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Yeah I was gonna say, that actually looks a lot like Caulerpa to me! 😄 You should be able to feel the runner right under the sand, so you can clip it if it starts to sprout up in a spot where you don't want it to be.

Really beautiful new additions as well. If you look at it sideways... with the polyps extended... and kind of squint real hard... a Fungia kind of looks like a cactus! 🤔😂

Yup!  Caulerpa indeed.  I also have random halimeda sprouts popping up in random places too.  I don't mind letting things grow out for a bit. 

I was just commenting to another reefer that I have lost my way and have not been so good about sticking to my desert theme.  Sand is also looking cluttered with stuff, so also losing the clean/minimalist look.  

Also have more macroalgae coming in from Reefcleaners this week.  

• Like 4
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
11 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Awesome shot!! I need to find macro that I can have with a bare bottom tank. I love the look of the macros.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, lizzyann said:

I loooove the photo of the clown and green macro! So beautiful 😍

Thank you!  :smilie:  

One day I'll get a real camera and try my best to take some legit photos like yours.  

1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Awesome shot!! I need to find macro that I can have with a bare bottom tank. I love the look of the macros.

Thanks!  I agree, the macroalgae definitely add a nice natural touch to the reef.  I figure you should be able to keep like cactus caulerpa on your rocks, but they'll latch on real tight.  

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Thanks!  I agree, the macroalgae definitely add a nice natural touch to the reef.  I figure you should be able to keep like cactus caulerpa on your rocks, but they'll latch on real tight.  

I'm afraid of getting an invasive one and it over running the rock.. who knows, thought about hitting up John at reef cleaners and seeing what he recommended for bare bottom macros.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I'm afraid of getting an invasive one and it over running the rock.. who knows, thought about hitting up John at reef cleaners and seeing what he recommended for bare bottom macros.

That's a good idea.  He's always very helpful.  Majority of my macroalgae came from him.

I have Graciliaria hayi (red pom pom) in my pico attached to a single rock rubble piece and it grows but hasn't taken over.  I trim it regularly though.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, Tigahboy said:

That's a good idea.  He's always very helpful.  Majority of my macroalgae came from him.

I have Graciliaria hayi (red pom pom) in my pico attached to a single rock rubble piece and it grows but hasn't taken over.  I trim it regularly though.

I thought about grabbing pom pom macro. I really like the look of it. Might have to get a shopping list ready.

• Like 2

I'm curious, what settings did you end up settling on for your kps duo? If I recall correctly did you just throw them on the 200L sps preset or did you end up making your own all-wave program, as I recall you were a fan of that mode lol.