Cultivated Reef

Tigahboy's 20g Project - Still No Catchy Title Yet

Tigahboy

What's your evap rate looking like? I have a 1g mason jar looking container right now I was planning to use as the ATO container but don't know if I should go bigger. 

6 minutes ago, haks said:

What's your evap rate looking like? I have a 1g mason jar looking container right now I was planning to use as the ATO container but don't know if I should go bigger. 

I haven't really been keeping track.  Though I probably will now that I'm in the market for an ATO container.  I'll let you know.  I may go for 5g tho so I can set it and forget it for awhile.  I have a 1.54g on my pico and that lasts me 2 weeks, so I'm hoping 5g will last me 2 weeks (or more).  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SliceGolfer said:

My 5gal IM reservoir lasts 6 days on my open top Nuvo 20. Your mileage may vary 👍

Wow.  That's not very long...  Maybe I need a 10g.  LOL.

LMAO seriously 😂. I thought I'd be okay with a 2.5g for the week. 

Need more info Slice. Where are you located, house windows open or close, AC running?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, got2envy said:

Looks awesome Tigah! 

Thank you!!  I was all planning to do something different for my scape this time, but all my scapes end up looking the same.  🤷‍♂️ Haha.  

• Haha 2
14 hours ago, SliceGolfer said:

My 5gal IM reservoir lasts 6 days on my open top Nuvo 20. Your mileage may vary 👍

That’s pretty crazy, I have my 40b display and 40b sump both open and exposed to air and I’m at the same amount of evap.

• Like 1

On my 13 gallon it drinks half gallon a day.  I had to adjust kalk cause evap is nuts.  I also have super high flow heavy lighting in tank and three cpu fans running all day lol. 

55 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

On my 13 gallon it drinks half gallon a day.  I had to adjust kalk cause evap is nuts.  I also have super high flow heavy lighting in tank and three cpu fans running all day lol. 

Yeah, that sounds like a perfect storm for heavy evap.  :)

Also, FYI, I reached out to Hydor and they said the dry side of the Aqamai KPS can go in the water without any issues.  So I may not need find a dime bag after all.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Yeah, that sounds like a perfect storm for heavy evap.  🙂

Also, FYI, I reached out to Hydor and they said the dry side of the Aqamai KPS can go in the water without any issues.  So I may not need find a dime bag after all.  

Turned off fans...seeing how hot it will get thru the day, and lowered flow to 50%.  Dont want to worry about having to mix my kalk differently lol.  

Nice good to know about the KPS another feather in their cap!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Tempestas said:

Loving the reflective glow of the pico off the side of the tank.

Tanks looking great. Can't wait to see it stocked.

Thank you!  😊   

Against my better judgment, I decided to give the SpinStream attachment a shot.  As pretty much everyone already seems to know, this thing is VERY loud.  Like constant, loud clicks and whirring sounds.  But based on IM's assurances (and another reefer here on NR), I'm going to try to let it break in (for a week) and see how quiet it gets.  If gets quiet, it will add some nice rotating flow to the tank.

IMG_20190605_213458_909.thumb.jpg.f19225bbe9208b7484b92871657cdb8a.jpg

It is huge however, so I had to push down the Aqamai to accomodate it.  Not loving the look, but we'll see if I get used to it.

29 minutes ago, Nano_Addict said:

They will definitely quiet down, it just takes time.  Both of mine clicked for a week or two.  Patience is key 🧘‍♂️

I've said this before, but this hobby requires way too much patience.  😁.  That is reassuring to hear tho.  Thanks!

• Like 1

So you think it puts out enough flow still? I tried one out for like a day but was worried it cut down the flow too much. I think it was around the time more cyano and other stuff was showing up for me so I kinda freaked out, took it off, and didn't really give it a fair enough shot. Can't wait to hear how it works out and maybe I'll try again.

1 hour ago, lizzyann said:

So you think it puts out enough flow still? I tried one out for like a day but was worried it cut down the flow too much. I think it was around the time more cyano and other stuff was showing up for me so I kinda freaked out, took it off, and didn't really give it a fair enough shot. Can't wait to hear how it works out and maybe I'll try again.

So far it seems fine to me (but I just have an empty tank rn).  And I'm gonna be relying on my Aqamai(s) to do the heavy lifting in terms of flow.  

• Like 2

Cycle update.  Added Dr. Tim's One & Only and ammonium chloride on Saturday to the tank.  My LR has been curing in a bin of SW for like 3+ months so I hoped for a quick cycle.  However, I think there was a lot of die off in the "live" sand which led to a pretty big ammonia spike.  Ammonia finally zeroed out a couple nights ago, but nitrites are through the roof (maybe 5ppm or more) and have stayed that way for days.  Nitrates are high too, but that's OK.

I wanted to try out FritzZyme TurboStart 900 which receives pretty good reviews online, and I saw @cincyJames use it for his new tank.  So I added 1oz of this stuff last night to boost the nitrifying bacteria population a bit.   Ordered it from AlgaeBarn and it came really well packaged with a cold pack and everything.  

195131659_IMG_20190606_190053_678(1).thumb.jpg.72901151e7e38f9640822fe4f21fae49.jpg

• Like 4

I've been showing my son photos of various designer clowns to convince him that he wants a pair of black storms for this tank.  I got all the way up to premium black snowflakes.  But when I printed out the ORA poster of clowns this morning and asked him which out of the bunch he wanted, he kept pointing to the standard Nemo.  🤦🏻‍♂️

IMG_20190608_102922_404.thumb.jpg.e2493a43d84fd4bba09e3aa91613e571.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3