Pod Your Reef

Tigahboy's 20g Project - Still No Catchy Title Yet

Tigahboy

1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

I've been showing my son photos of various designer clowns to convince him that he wants a pair of black storms for this tank.  I got all the way up to premium black snowflakes.  But when I printed out the ORA poster of clowns this morning and asked him which out of the bunch he wanted, he kept pointing to the standard Nemo.  🤦🏻‍♂️

IMG_20190608_102922_404.thumb.jpg.e2493a43d84fd4bba09e3aa91613e571.jpg

lol

• Haha 2

Imo I still like the standard clowns more than most of the designer ones. But I have a soft spot for the naked oranges - it just looks like they forgot to get dressed in the morning 😂

• Like 1

Didn't know they had a poster, going to need to print and frame that!

Where are you planning to get the pair from? Maybe showing him the exact ones he can get will be enough to sway him. Cultivated Reef has a WYSIWYG section through Sea and Reef: https://www.seaandreef.com/what-you-see-is-what-you-get

Wife is stuck on a Midnight so that's one half of the pair. Might do a Black Snowflake or Lightning Midnight for the other. 

7 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

He knows what he likes. You didn't really expect any thing else did you?

He seemed to be warming up to orange snowflakes by the end of the day.  Progress!  LOL. But yeah, he'll probably end up back at the plain clowns.

6 hours ago, ef4life said:

Imo I still like the standard clowns more than most of the designer ones. But I have a soft spot for the naked oranges - it just looks like they forgot to get dressed in the morning 😂

LOL  The naked ones are cool too.  

4 hours ago, haks said:

Didn't know they had a poster, going to need to print and frame that!

Where are you planning to get the pair from? Maybe showing him the exact ones he can get will be enough to sway him. Cultivated Reef has a WYSIWYG section through Sea and Reef: https://www.seaandreef.com/what-you-see-is-what-you-get

Wife is stuck on a Midnight so that's one half of the pair. Might do a Black Snowflake or Lightning Midnight for the other. 

Midnight Lightning plus Black Snowflake sound like an awesome combo.  I was just looking at Liveaquaria/DD, but Cultivated Reef and Sea and Reef look pretty good too.  

Same. I'm lurking Diver's Den everyday. From what I've read those are the fish/inverts/corals they actually keep at their facility so they're top quality. Everything else at Live Aquaria is drop shipped from a wholesaler so it will be hit and miss. 

Cultivated Reef is a retailer and drop ships fish from Sea and Reef over in Maine. Either LA/DD or CR, they'll be flying for a while 😁

Lol I'd love to get that pair but wife is stuck on a plain Midnight one. So it will be between the Black Snowflake or Midnight Lightning 🤔

• Like 1

How's the flow with them together and up that high? 

My wife built Trump's wall down our tank so thinking bout one on each side, quarter of the tank down. 

• Haha 2

Wait she dropped a fence full of gaps and holes into your tank? Weird scaping choice... Why not put one on the opposite end and run them both in pulse mode to create a kind of circular wave pattern to the return pump?

• Like 3
9 hours ago, haks said:

How's the flow with them together and up that high? 

My wife built Trump's wall down our tank so thinking bout one on each side, quarter of the tank down. 

3 hours ago, Amphrites said:

Wait she dropped a fence full of gaps and holes into your tank? Weird scaping choice... Why not put one on the opposite end and run them both in pulse mode to create a kind of circular wave pattern to the return pump?

I'll probably end up moving the second one to get better spread in coverage...   I put them right next to each other for now purely based on aesthetics (trying to minimize the visual footprint). 

But I will say 2 Aquamai side-by-side up top still creates some killer waves.  I'll try to post a video later.

• Like 3
NaturallyKait

I’m interested to see if the spin stream quiets down for you. I’ve eyed them up before but loud equipment is a no go for me. 

2 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

I’m interested to see if the spin stream quiets down for you. I’ve eyed them up before but loud equipment is a no go for me. 

Definitely not quiet yet.  But only 5 days in; will give it 2 weeks tops to break in.  I will say it is quieter now than when I first installed it, but not sure if it's just because I've gotten used to it now. LOL.

• Haha 2
21 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I'll probably end up moving the second one to get better spread in coverage...   I put them right next to each other for now purely based on aesthetics (trying to minimize the visual footprint). 

But I will say 2 Aquamai side-by-side up top still creates some killer waves.  I'll try to post a video later.

LMAO looking forward to it.

Did you ever look into the IceCap 1K Gyre? I looked at them for a second but for whatever reason dismissed them. Trying to see if I can find anyone running in our size tank or similar. Feel like one would be perfect.

33 minutes ago, haks said:

Did you ever look into the IceCap 1K Gyre? I looked at them for a second but for whatever reason dismissed them. Trying to see if I can find anyone running in our size tank or similar. Feel like one would be perfect.

I looked into them at one point, but was enamored with the Nero 5 instead (which I did end up purchasing), and then really liked how tiny the Aqamai KPS is (and then returned the Nero 5).  But the waves those Gyres produce are pretty impressive too.

NaturallyKait
39 minutes ago, haks said:

I’m pretty sure @748S911 is running one in an Evo which is smaller. Maybe I’m wrong though. 

We should start a reef equipment rental service,

"Not sure what wave maker to purchase? Rent all of them and figure it out!"

Also just purchased a four pack of the micron socks. Figure I can have a clean one in the tank for a week till it hits the dirty pile and then clean four of them monthly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, haks said:

We should start a reef equipment rental service,

"Not sure what wave maker to purchase? Rent all of them and figure it out!"

Also just purchased a four pack of the micron socks. Figure I can have a clean one in the tank for a week till it hits the dirty pile and then clean four of them monthly.

This sounds like me shopping for a wavemaker in a pico

• Like 2

I would rent so many things... I just grabbed a used Icecap gyre for 40 to test out in my little tank (wanted an aqamai but nobody had them in my price range)... I feel like having a spraybar-style wavemaker in that cylinder will create some crazy-random flow for the corals and clam. Much excitement.

• Like 2

I've bought and returned so many things, I'm surprised retailers haven't banned me yet. 

Like I just received my 100w Cobalt Neotherm, but already thinking about returning it for a 75w b/c the 75 would fit better in the third chamber.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
17 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I've bought and returned so many things, I'm surprised retailers haven't banned me yet. 

Like I just received my 100w Cobalt Neotherm, but already thinking about returning it for a 75w b/c the 75 would fit better in the third chamber.  

What is return?

2 hours ago, haks said:

The 1k is a amazing powerful gyre pump, it moves water. Love this thing!

2 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

I looked into them at one point, but was enamored with the Nero 5 instead (which I did end up purchasing), and then really liked how tiny the Aqamai KPS is (and then returned the Nero 5).  But the waves those Gyres produce are pretty impressive too.

Those KPS pumps are amazing.

2 hours ago, NaturallyKait said:

I’m pretty sure @748S911 is running one in an Evo which is smaller. Maybe I’m wrong though. 

Yup! 

1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

This sounds like me shopping for a wavemaker in a pico

Lol!

1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

I would rent so many things... I just grabbed a used Icecap gyre for 40 to test out in my little tank (wanted an aqamai but nobody had them in my price range)... I feel like having a spraybar-style wavemaker in that cylinder will create some crazy-random flow for the corals and clam. Much excitement.

That's a great deal.  You'll enjoy it.

• Like 2