Cultivated Reef

Tigahboy's 20g Project - Still No Catchy Title Yet

Tigahboy

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
14 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Oh no! Tank looks just fine so that's a relief, but any damage to the heater?

I think even if it isn't.. just grab a new one to be safe. No need to gamble.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I think even if it isn't.. just grab a new one to be safe. No need to gamble.

Yeah I was gonna say, even if it looks alright I probably wouldn't use it for anything more than maybe heating saltwater for WCs or something like that. Never trust a heater that's been running dry, especially if you don't know exactly how long it was running that way. =x

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, billygoat said:

Yeah I was gonna say, even if it looks alright I probably wouldn't use it for anything more than maybe heating saltwater for WCs or something like that. Never trust a heater that's been running dry, especially if you don't know exactly how long it was running that way. =x

I think out of all the things we have on our tanks, heaters are the one piece of equipment I never trust :lol: 

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

@billygoat and @DSFIRSTSLTWATER The Cobalt Neotherm seems fine and temp is still accurate, but yes, not a bad idea to get a new one.  I don't trust heaters at all either - no matter what brand.  

Have you ever shattered a glass one accidently pulling it out of the water....  :lol:

Last night's view.    

IMG_20190911_055606_946.thumb.jpg.fb34da0af807bd3b3cc4d7c5fd621a50.jpg

Still waiting for my latest softies to attach to their rock rubble pieces so I can place them on the scape.  Going to wait another week to be safe.  Also need to settle on my next coral additions.  🤔

• Like 8
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

Where is our Friday Dendro doodle?

I know, I'm slacking.  Don't have enough dendro subjects though to do a weekly doodle.  Reefers need to send me some more pics!

• Sad 1

The sinularia and nephthea have attached to their rock rubble pieces, so trying out placement ideas.  

Here's a potential placement for the sinularia frags high up on the scape.  What do you think?  Too close to the pavona?  Too much light?  

IMG_20190914_235130_670.thumb.jpg.e44894459b6938b19b60fd672726ba11.jpg

• Like 1
On 9/15/2019 at 2:17 PM, Tigahboy said:

The sinularia and nephthea have attached to their rock rubble pieces, so trying out placement ideas.  

Here's a potential placement for the sinularia frags high up on the scape.  What do you think?  Too close to the pavona?  Too much light?

I feel like those sinularia are probably going to end up getting pretty large when they start to grow in, which would put them uncomfortably close to the surface of the water if they are super high up the scape like that. Could be worth trying if they end up doing well in that spot though? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, billygoat said:

I feel like those sinularia are probably going to end up getting pretty large when they start to grow in, which would put them uncomfortably close to the surface of the water if they are super high up the scape like that. Could be worth trying if they end up doing well in that spot though? 🤷‍♂️

I agree.  They definitely won't have as much room to grow at the top.  Still thinking about. 

Here's a shot of 2 of them on the sand. 

IMG_20190915_194317_990.thumb.jpg.628afb30aae0fe5a60de4a2858f14b34.jpg

• Like 8
1 minute ago, Amphrites said:

That wave action is mighty impressive lol

I have 1 of the Aqamai dialed down to 50%, so I'm sure I can catch bigger waves if I dialed that up to the max.  

• Haha 2
53 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I have 1 of the Aqamai dialed down to 50%, so I'm sure I can catch bigger waves if I dialed that up to the max.  

I wonder if you could have a similar effect either fighting against static-flow with a single aqamai @ 100% or with a static-flow in-line with a wave-making aqamai... So many questions, I need a test rig lol.
And quite a few deserts are known for their spontaneous and brutal winds...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1