Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tigahboy's 20g Project - Still No Catchy Title Yet

Tigahboy

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

Thank you!  I highly recommend getting a photosynthetic gorg or two (or three or four or five).  They add instant vertical and have beautiful shapes.   The purple plume has been thriving from day one.  I did lose 1 of the 3 frags of the orange one (that one started to go downhill almost immediately after adding it to the tank), but the other 2 pieces have been solid.

I'm still learning how to keep macro happy.  I'm not good with macro, so curious to see how these do in this tank.   So far the palm caulerpa seems to be doing the best and has sprouted new palms already.  

My original tank I ended up taking down and upgraded to a waterbox 20 so I transferred everything into the new tank except for the field of hair algae. I had major design flaws when I first set up the tank so it lead to out of control nutrients because I couldn't clean well. I tried macro, but it all died because of the gha I assume. This tank was much more thought out :lol:. I decided to go bare bottom so i'm guessing there is a bunch of macros I can't have, but gorgs on the other hand is something I'm considering. I love seeing all the macro tanks. I am thinking of getting some of the stuff you have.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, billygoat said:

Aw what a cute conch! Congrats on the new additions! I'm so excited to see this tank continue to come together. 😁

Thanks!  I think I'm going to name my conch Connie.  

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Ratvan said:

What size tank do they need? Conches?

Hmmm.  Not sure (read somewhere 20-25g minimum), but they can get pretty big.  Mine is about 1" right now.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Ratvan said:

What size tank do they need? Conches?

Even the smallest varieties of conch need a nice large sandbed in order to thrive. They spend almost all of their time combing through the sand and are too bulky and heavy to do much crawling on rocks or on the glass, so any aquarium with a wide-open sandbed is a good match for them. I've seen them kept in bare-bottom setups as well but they always seem very forlorn without sand to live in. Most recommendations I've read say 30 gallons is the minimum size to keep a conch, but I'd say the sandbed in Tigah's setup here will be more than enough to keep a little one happy.

Small conchs are super good cleaners for diatoms and those varieties of cyanobacteria that form mats on the substrate! Be careful though because some species grow to enormous sizes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

Hmmm.  Not sure (read somewhere 20-25g minimum), but they can get pretty big.  Mine is about 1" right now.   

Had one in the 13.5 gal for 10 months, dude was always busy, best CUC for sand imo :bowdown:

• Like 3

Clowns starting to hang around the macroalgae more now rather than off to the side of the tank.

IMG_20190814_214850_139.thumb.jpg.d9831e888948118277c20d598979644e.jpg

IMG_20190814_214543_949.thumb.jpg.47d16840a326f619b435a2ea8da21544.jpg

Not much else going on in here.  But I'm hoping to add some new stuff this weekend.  Stay tuned.

• Like 7
  • Wow 1
On 8/13/2019 at 6:40 PM, Tigahboy said:

Super impressed with Connie's climbing skills.  Found her on top of the second highest peak in the tank.

Silly conch! You're supposed to stay in the sand! What is she doin' up there... 😂

Everything looks great in here. Those gorgonians seem very happy and that is wonderful. I can't wait to see what new arrivals you get! 😊

• Like 3

Hey there. Dug through your old build and realized that you're the real OG! 

Liking the simplicity of this tank. We've got a local out my way who does a lot of similar stuff with gorgs and macros. Digging that the clowns are out and about more, I wish mine would leave the back of the tank. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, billygoat said:

Silly conch! You're supposed to stay in the sand! What is she doin' up there... 😂

Everything looks great in here. Those gorgonians seem very happy and that is wonderful. I can't wait to see what new arrivals you get! 😊

Thanks!  The gorgs definitely look pretty happy, but they don't look as crazy hairy as yours.  

2 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Hey there. Dug through your old build and realized that you're the real OG! 

Liking the simplicity of this tank. We've got a local out my way who does a lot of similar stuff with gorgs and macros. Digging that the clowns are out and about more, I wish mine would leave the back of the tank. 

Thank, man!  You definitely got the old part right.  😁

That reefer's gorgs are pretty impressive.  HUGE.  I think my clowns are trying to get the macros to host them.  I saw one of them sucking on them.  So definitely looking for a nem-substitute for this tank this weekend at RAP.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

I love that the conch is so much larger than your fish right now.

Yeah, the conch is a giant compared to the clowns.  Her poops are gigantic too.

• Haha 3

Went to Reefapalooza today in Anaheim!  It did not disappoint!  Had a blast!  And got to meet nano-reef.com reef idols @banasophia, @Sancho, and @metrokat in person (and managed to get stickers from all of them)!  🤩

IMG_20190817_194649_933.thumb.jpg.f8b7362ce48f00345b6d484261fabcd7.jpg

Look at all these cool freebies!  Even got a whole bottle of Reef Nutrition Tigger Pods!  😱

IMG_20190817_210727_558.thumb.jpg.8112461a9c2a6da61b253ffb4d53db17.jpg

IMG_20190817_220819_557.thumb.jpg.f057c98a04a07ce7305e8d982055d170.jpg 

Cool WWC coral wall.  😎

IMG_20190817_211224_828.thumb.jpg.f7c17d5d190947b6ba230d73f9d4d34c.jpg

And the coolest coral I saw today.  Lepto skull!! 💀 🤘

IMG_20190817_210901_520.thumb.jpg.fb3d1cb19c91fe11cb2a5ae65ae49b18.jpg

I didn't get it, but I wish I did now...  😔

May have gotten a couple of things from here tho.  😉

IMG_20190817_212242_056.thumb.jpg.a504441563d4d26fca840213b3cc0a63.jpg

Oh, and I got this.  🌱

IMG_20190817_161642_021.thumb.jpg.2be570837e95f28099f96661ceff7186.jpg

• Like 5