Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tigahboy's 20g Project - Still No Catchy Title Yet

Tigahboy

Haven't finalized placement or secured the gorgs to rocks yet, but here they are in the tank!

IMG_20190801_183522_060.thumb.jpg.e93aa9f5c69c3978a44356a744a8066e.jpg

Spiny orange gorg (Muricea elongate) on the left and purple plume gorg (Muriceopsis flavida) on the right.  Both photosynthetic.

• Like 9
  • Wow 1
11 hours ago, billygoat said:

It looks gorg...geous! 😅👌

What's next on the coral stocking list?

😅. I intentionally called them gorgonzolas in my other post and nobody batted an eye.  

I have them pretty securely wedged in rock crevices rn, is it a big deal if I don't epoxy them in place? 

Up next: macroalgae from Reefcleaners!  Coming tomorrow.

• Haha 1
16 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Colorado sunburst ?

If I get a nem, it won't be for awhile.  Would like to let this tank mature.  May get a torch or an elegance as a substitute tho for Nemo and Nemo II.

19 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

😅. I intentionally called them gorgonzolas in my other posts and nobody batted an eye. 

I have them pretty securely wedged in rock crevices rn, is it a big deal if I don't epoxy them in place? 

Up next: macroalgae from Reefcleaners!  Coming tomorrow.

I noticed, and appreciate your recent cheese additions. They will eventually grow/attach to the rock, so as long as you can keep them in place you’ll be fine!

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

I noticed, and appreciate your recent cheese additions. They will eventually grow/attach to the rock, so as long as you can keep them in place you’ll be fine!

Oh good.  Glad someone caught that.  Lol.

Thanks for the tip!

44 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

I really wish you cleaned the glass before taking the most recent FTS 😉

You made me look again.  😅

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

If I get a nem, it won't be for awhile.  Would like to let this tank mature.  May get a torch or an elegance as a substitute tho for Nemo and Nemo II.

Sweet, just saw a black widow in person. Might get it, but need a nem guard for my gyre first 

• Like 2

Macroalgae haul.  

IMG_20190802_162855_177.thumb.jpg.97e95b8b7a9166f8f2b6359aae144cdd.jpg

Halimeda looks like it's about to go sexual tho... May not add it.  Some of the palm caulerpa will go in the pico as well.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Macroalgae haul.  

Halimeda looks like it's about to go sexual tho... May not add it.  Some of the palm caulerpa will go in the pico as well.

That is how Halimeda looks after shipping. It always arrives white and will turn back green. 

31 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

That is how Halimeda looks after shipping. It always arrives white and will turn back green. 

Alright.  Going in then.  Lol.

1 hour ago, Tigahboy said:

Macroalgae haul.  

Nice haul! Keep in mind though, that is a rhizomatous species of Halimeda you've got there (probably H. incrassata) and as such the "root ball" at the base of the algae will need to be buried in your sandbed in order to thrive. From there it will spread runners throughout your substrate that will give rise to new clumps, much in the same way that Caulerpa does (just invisibly and not nearly as quickly).

Gosh, I love algae! 😁 I'm kinda jealous.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Nice haul! Keep in mind though, that is a rhizomatous species of Halimeda you've got there (probably H. incrassata) and as such the "root ball" at the base of the algae will need to be buried in your sandbed in order to thrive. From there it will spread runners throughout your substrate that will give rise to new clumps, much in the same way that Caulerpa does (just invisibly and not nearly as quickly).

Gosh, I love algae! 😁 I'm kinda jealous.

Hmmm.  So can't wedge em in holes in the rock?   I just stuck em on the rocks for now.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Tigahboy said:

Hmmm.  So can't wedge em in holes in the rock?   I just stuck em on the rocks for now.

Honestly, I have no idea what will happen if you leave them in the rock like that. It's possible that they will grow just fine and simply won't spread runners anywhere, and it's also possible that they won't take at all unless they are anchored in the sandbed. All I can tell you for sure is that in nature this species occurs almost exclusively in sand. 🤷‍♂️

You could just leave them in there and see what happens? I'm kind of curious about it tbh... though my hunch is that they probably won't do well with the rhizome exposed. 😅

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Honestly, I have no idea what will happen if you leave them in the rock like that. It's possible that they will grow just fine and simply won't spread runners anywhere, and it's also possible that they won't take at all unless they are anchored in the sandbed. All I can tell you for sure is that in nature this species occurs almost exclusively in sand. 🤷‍♂️

You could just leave them in there and see what happens? I'm kind of curious about it tbh... though my hunch is that they probably won't do well with the rhizome exposed. 😅

Ok. I'll stew on it for a bit.  TBH I don't love the halimeda in here, so may move em out or change things up.  🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, YHSublime said:

“About to go sexual” is my new band name. We do smooth Jazz. First album: Halimeda Up In Here. 

Perfect band name. 👌

• Thanks 1