Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tigahboy's 20g Project - Still No Catchy Title Yet

Tigahboy

Yay!  I think this tank is almost done cycling.  Had super high nitrites for days and days (with ammonia at zero).  Finally did a water change (20%) yesterday (but nitrites were still high when I tested later that night), and nitrites are at zero today.  Dosed another 2 ppm ammonia and will test again tomorrow.  fingerscrossed  

Also, here's the vid of the 2 x Aqamai wave action.

• Like 7
6 hours ago, pricewayne said:

🤞🏻 on the battle for the storm clowns. I love em.

Showed my son another poster with storms and other designer clowns just now.  Still points to the plain clown.  🤦🏻‍♂️

IMG_20190611_063753_289.thumb.jpg.1aa6ce0ae90c48cf33b3e10d1698daa6.jpg

• Haha 6
NaturallyKait
3 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Showed my son another poster with storms and other designer clowns just now.  Still points to the plain clown.  🤦🏻‍♂️

IMG_20190611_063753_289.thumb.jpg.1aa6ce0ae90c48cf33b3e10d1698daa6.jpg

Can you compromise on one plain and one designer for a pair? 

I’m glad I like the plain clowns, because I’m in the same boat with my 4 year old. 

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

Can you compromise on one plain and one designer for a pair? 

I’m glad I like the plain clowns, because I’m in the same boat with my 4 year old. 

I was hoping to get a bonded pair and those are usually sold together as the same morph.  I also like it when the pair matches.  Even if that means 2 plain clowns.  My wife will probably be the tie breaker.  LOL.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, haks said:

LMAO just get that nice pair of Percs the Diver's Den currently has. 

Did you you notice how fast that Yasha pair went?

Things do go fast on DD.  But they replenish the stock pretty quickly, so it will probably come around again soon (just not that exact pair).  

I'm tellin' ya your son wouldn't notice the difference between occy, perc, or mocha gladiators, but you'll know and see it everytime you look in the tank. =p

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Welp, not cycled.  After 24 hrs from adding 2ppm ammonia, ammonia was zero but nitrites were still high (maybe 5ppm).  🤷🏻‍♂️

So the wait continues.  We're at Day 12 of the cycle now.

IMG_20190612_074045_159.thumb.jpg.748b538704e155cf0a9998cfc8f05cf3.jpg

Also, been keeping track of evap, and 1 gallon lasts me 1 full week.  Probably will be good with a 5g ATO reservoir.

• Like 1

@medinar83  oh my nitrates are actually pretty high, like around 40 last time I checked (haven't checked recently though).  My nitrites are the ones at 5.  Need my nitrites zero (or close to it) within 24 hours before I'll consider it cycled.  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

@medinar83  oh my nitrates are actually pretty high, like around 40 last time I checked (haven't checked recently though).  My nitrites are the ones at 5.  Need my nitrites zero (or close to it) within 24 hours before I'll consider it cycled.  

lol k k I see anything that starts w/ Nit and I automatically see NITRATE lol  

• Haha 1
NaturallyKait
13 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Welp, not cycled.  After 24 hrs from adding 2ppm ammonia, ammonia was zero but nitrites were still high (maybe 5ppm).  🤷🏻‍♂️

So the wait continues.  We're at Day 12 of the cycle now.

IMG_20190612_074045_159.thumb.jpg.748b538704e155cf0a9998cfc8f05cf3.jpg

Also, been keeping track of evap, and 1 gallon lasts me 1 full week.  Probably will be good with a 5g ATO reservoir.

Same happened to me with my cycle and it was only 2 or 3 days later that it finished. So hopefully you’re close 🤞🏻🤞🏻

• Like 1

Why rush the cycle, one tanks up and running let this one go for another week or 2. I always go for at least 1 month cycles my 40 was almost 2 months before I put anything in it.

• Like 1
Just now, ef4life said:

Why rush the cycle, one tanks up and running let this one go for another week or 2. I always go for at least 1 month cycles my 40 was almost 2 months before I put anything in it.

You're old school, @ef4life.  In this age of social media and instant gratification, it's a 2 week cycle or go home.  LOL. 

I'm more interested in getting the cycle done so I can start adding pods and phyto.  Next thing I'll be hoping for is diatom bloom so I can add the CUC, then fish after that.  And the reality is, I don't have lights yet so won't be stocking any time soon anyway. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It's all about balance - you want the pico to see the influences that it must begin adjusting to sooner than later. If the tank can eat threshold ammonia from dosing more than livestock would ever produce, than put something in there to do that gfor you! lol. What's going to be your first move?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

It's all about balance - you want the pico to see the influences that it has begin adjusting to sooner than later. If the tank can eat threshold ammonia from dosing more than livestock would ever produce, than put something in there to do that gfor you! lol. What's going to be your first move?

I'm probably going to do the clown pair first after the pods and CUC.  Then stock coral after that.  Then way down the road maybe a BTA.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

You're old school, @ef4life.  In this age of social media and instant gratification, it's a 2 week cycle or go home.  LOL. 

I'm more interested in getting the cycle done so I can start adding pods and phyto.  Next thing I'll be hoping for is diatom bloom so I can add the CUC, then fish after that.  And the reality is, I don't have lights yet so won't be stocking any time soon anyway. 

I’m definitely old school 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
32 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I'm probably going to do the clown pair first after the pods and CUC.  Then stock coral after that.  Then way down the road maybe a BTA.

Man...seriously considering a heavy BTA tank.

Where are you getting your CUC from, Hawaii again? Lol

• Like 1
1 minute ago, haks said:

Man...seriously considering a heavy BTA tank.

Where are you getting your CUC from, Hawaii again? Lol

Probably Reefcleaners for snails and maybe... MAYBE... hermits from Hawaii.  LOL.  This CUC is gonna cost a fortune again, but I love those Hawaiian hermits.  Cutest hermits I've ever seen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, haks said:

Hmm, well if you do order from either let me know. Wouldn't mind going in on either order if you don't.

Sounds good.  👍