Top Shelf Aquatics

Tigahboy's 20g Project - Still No Catchy Title Yet

Tigahboy

I chatted with @DaveFason about the options, he said best choice would be the 15" gooseneck. I was leaning towards hanging due to light spill but he said the gooseneck would take care of it; so that's what I went with, 15" gooseneck.

I just threw my KPS in a Brute tote with some dry rock while I wait for the tank to arrive from MarineDepot, should have just ordered and picked up from IM. Anyway, was originally planning on just one KPS but might go with two...I'll wait and see what you do though lol

• Like 2
1 hour ago, haks said:

I chatted with @DaveFason about the options, he said best choice would be the 15" gooseneck. I was leaning towards hanging due to light spill but he said the gooseneck would take care of it; so that's what I went with, 15" gooseneck.

I just threw my KPS in a Brute tote with some dry rock while I wait for the tank to arrive from MarineDepot, should have just ordered and picked up from IM. Anyway, was originally planning on just one KPS but might go with two...I'll wait and see what you do though lol

Mounting from the filter side?  I think that makes sense.  I'm thinking about going that route as well.  But still thinking about hanging options too.

Yeah, I think for me, it's either 2 KPSs or 1 Nero 5.  My wife asked me today if the KPS was actually on because she couldn't hear anything.  It was.  😎

1 hour ago, ef4life said:

The Cacti is a nice little piece.

At least I don't have to worry about keeping these alive.  LOL.  And they were pretty cheap (from IKEA)!  I plan to mix it up on the side area there from time to time to keep things fresh. 

• Like 1
pricewayne
1 hour ago, ef4life said:

The Cacti is a nice little piece.

Ditto. Love the cacti accent.

1 hour ago, haks said:

23 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Mounting from the filter side?  I think that makes sense.  I'm thinking about going that route as well.  But still thinking about hanging options too.

Yeah, I think for me, it's either 2 KPSs or 1 Nero 5.  My wife asked me today if the KPS was actually on because she couldn't hear anything.  It was.  😎

At least I don't have to worry about keeping these alive.  LOL.  And they were pretty cheap (from IKEA)!  I plan to mix it up on the side area there from time to time to keep things fresh. 

If you want an easy hanging solution for the nanobox hang kit but don’t want to string it all the way down from ceiling — I screwed a hairpin table leg to my wall and strung my Nanobox Mini up from it. Picked my table leg up from ikea for $15 but there’s loads of other ones, too.

• Thanks 1

Yes, 15" gooseneck from the filter side.

It doesn't look like a big bracket so I'm assuming we can still fit a skimmer or reactor back there. 

56 minutes ago, haks said:

Yes, 15" gooseneck from the filter side.

It doesn't look like a big bracket so I'm assuming we can still fit a skimmer or reactor back there. 

Nice.  Looking forward to seeing it set up over your tank. 

Leak testing the tank.  So far so good.  And the stand is holding up pretty well.  Knock on wood!

IMG_20190526_213128_717.thumb.jpg.6d8dc9ec945e75c8b45e6734bd87dfc3.jpg

Also, to my great delight, the MightyJet return pump that comes with the tank is pretty quiet even at full blast.  Not dead silent (like my pico), but overall still very quiet.  Pretty pleased so far.  

• Like 5

Is that film you put on the right side of the tank or a reflection?  And why is there zebra print on the bottom of your tank? LOL 🤔

• Haha 1
43 minutes ago, haks said:

Is that film you put on the right side of the tank or a reflection?  And why is there zebra print on the bottom of your tank? LOL 🤔

I don't see zebra print, I see tiger stripes.  

No film...  It does look darker on that side with water in it.  Maybe the black filter wall reflecting?  It's weird cuz I see no difference when it was empty.  

Also, I was eating breakfast this morning (and the tank is situated right behind me) and I couldn't hear anything at all.  Had to double check to see if the pump was on.  I think this tank plus Aqamai KPS will be silent.  

The short "stand" I'm using is perfect height for my son, but scaping in the tank at that height is super hard on my old man back. 

Anyway, a bunch of cloudy scape shots of a few of the scapes I tried out.  

IMG_20190528_233126_347.thumb.jpg.bee38d1d1653f02697ee59b65d71a69c.jpg

IMG_20190529_201009_079.thumb.jpg.e796171fdd12106ed86cfbdced6111c9.jpg

IMG_20190529_213404_192.thumb.jpg.143dd5424a3bf3aa01fa2fd650f0a7df.jpg

I settled on the last one (for now...), and emphasis on the word "settled" since I don't love it, but my poor back be tired.  May try again later if I still don't like it after a day or two tho.

I think there's about 17lb of Real Reef Live Rock in there.  I've been curing them in a bin of SW for the past 3 months.  So hopefully a short cycle.  

• Like 2

Three months?! Shoot, shouldn't have a cycle at all! I like the last one also, maybe another, more vertical piece on the left island?  I had my wife do the scape for ours. Used A LOT more rock than I'm use to but she did really good for her first time. 

What heater you running? Figure out your lights?

• Like 2

Looking good, need to lose the heater tho...😂 

I totally want that tank now!

peninsula aquascape I have hard time with too.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, haks said:

Three months?! Shoot, shouldn't have a cycle at all! I like the last one also, maybe another, more vertical piece on the left island?  I had my wife do the scape for ours. Used A LOT more rock than I'm use to but she did really good for her first time. 

What heater you running? Figure out your lights?

I can't wait to see that scape!  My wife doesn't help me scape, but just likes to veto my scapes (in a nice way tho.  Lol). She basically said no to the first 2 so I had to try again. She hasn't seen the last one yet, so she could veto that as well.  Lol. 

That's the heater that I pulled from my tub with LR (no name brand from Amazon).  I ordered a Cobalt Neotherm 100w so I can put it in the chamber, but won't get it until next week. Don't know why it takes so long for MD to ship stuff to me (considering they are local to me and even after paying the extra $2.99 for expedited shipping).  

Haven't decided on lights yet.  Lol.

But I did order my Aqamai KPS today.  

33 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Looking good, need to lose the heater tho...😂 

I totally want that tank now!

peninsula aquascape I have hard time with too.

Lol. I know I know.  Real heater is on the way! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

I purchased a 40lb box of dry CaribSea rock...she used more than half for sure. Don't think any corals will be going on the sand LOL. She scaped without the tank too, just some measurements I gave her. Might start journal this weekend.

LMAO no joke. I'm about 20mins from IM, 30-40 from MD. I'm getting ATO and test kits this Friday ..placed the order this past Friday. 

• Like 2

@haks I mustered up the energy to stick another piece of LR on the left side to give more height as you suggested.  So yet another option.

IMG_20190529_222835_031.thumb.jpg.7211e97b81897f59e98e1c686b46fcd8.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, haks said:

I purchased a 40lb box of dry CaribSea rock...she used more than half for sure. Don't think any corals will be going on the sand LOL. She scaped without the tank too, just some measurements I gave her. Might start journal this weekend.

LMAO no joke. I'm about 20mins from IM, 30-40 from MD. I'm getting ATO and test kits this Friday ..placed the order this past Friday. 

Yeah makes no sense. If Amazon had the heater, I would've just ordered there and get it in like 2 days with free shipping.

Will look out for that thread. 

pricewayne
20 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I can't wait to see that scape!  My wife doesn't help me scape, but just likes to veto my scapes (in a nice way tho.  Lol). She basically said no to the first 2 so I had to try again. She hasn't seen the last one yet, so she could veto that as well.  Lol. 

That's the heater that I pulled from my tub with LR (no name brand from Amazon).  I ordered a Cobalt Neotherm 100w so I can put it in the chamber, but won't get it until next week. Don't know why it takes to long for MD to ship stuff to me (considering they are local to me and even after paying the extra $2.99 for expedited shipping).  

Haven't decided on lights yet.  Lol.

But I did order my Aqamai KPS today.  

Lol. I know I know.  Real heater is on the way! 

All 3 scapes look like great options!!

1 & 3 are my favorites, prolly. They're honestly great as-is but maybe just a tad more height somewhere in the mix on scape 3 ? Just a thought -- take or leave.

🗿🗿🗿

pricewayne
8 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

@haks I mustered up the energy to stick another piece of LR on the left side to give more height as you suggested.  So yet another option.

IMG_20190529_222835_031.thumb.jpg.7211e97b81897f59e98e1c686b46fcd8.jpg

I spoke too late! HAHA

15 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

I spoke too late! HAHA

I agree on lack of height on the left.  So option 4 now.   I like how I'm calling them "options" but no way I can recreate the prior ones. 

I guess a scape is like jazz really, each one is unique and no way to replicate any other version exactly.  

• Haha 2

What's even funnier is my 3.5 yr old son was even criticizing my scapes.  He actually said we should break up the "alive rock" with a hammer when he saw my first scape.  He said Nemo needed more space.  Hard to please my family.