Pod Your Reef

Split Photoperiod questions

ThatNewGuyReefing

ThatNewGuyReefing

So I have been doing some research on split photoperiods in planted and found that it is highly beneficial for photosynthesis in plants. Well after reading "Variation in coral photosynthesis, respiration and growth characteristics in contrasting light microhabitats: an analogue to plants in forest gaps and understoreys?" And an explanation on this forum on an experiment done that showed that our lights have no effect past the 3-4 hour mark (will post link in comments). Now I'm curious if anyone splits their Photoperiod or if they just ramp up the intensity between a 6-8 hour rest period, seems like it would be beneficial. I want to try to maximize coral growth in my system, I'm already getting incredible growth but I'm one for maximizing efficiency in hydroponic/aquaponic systems so why not do the same with my reef. I'm currently doing 75% WC every 2 weeks, my salt is aquavitro salinity, my salinity is kept at 1.026 (I have an ATO to keep it there). I do dose 3mils of the brightwell line (A, B, and trace) every 3 days because of the speed that my corals are growing (will be buying a doser soon to automate this process). Tank looks packed but I'm in the process of setting up my 60 and most of these corals will be moved, tank is 6 months old.IMG_20190520_165524518.thumb.jpg.dd7ad6f0a29a9859a3646f2651dda4c8.jpg

IMG_20190520_165050589_BURST039.jpg

ThatNewGuyReefing

Here's that link. Also in the pics you'll see one coral missing, it was removed after a dosing accident. Left my tank with a friend and they dosed in the main display burning 2 of my corals. The superman in the back is recovering slowly.

I prefer to keep my schedule as natural as possible with ramp up, prime lighting, ramp down, and moonlight.

I tried the respite schedule on my tank, David Saxby's schedule...there was no difference in growth or colouration in corals.

ThatNewGuyReefing
11 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I prefer to keep my schedule as natural as possible with ramp up, prime lighting, ramp down, and moonlight.

I tried the respite schedule on my tank, David Saxby's schedule...there was no difference in growth or colouration in corals.

I currently use Drew's AB+, my birdsnest and other corals are exploding with growth and color. I don't use a moon setting currently, I think the corals need time to rest in darkness but that's just my opinion.Screenshot_20190526-203126.thumb.png.3a69ac24bc5e20dd4e6f1f6cd9747485.png

3 hours ago, ThatNewGuyReefing said:

I currently use Drew's AB+, my birdsnest and other corals are exploding with growth and color. I don't use a moon setting currently, I think the corals need time to rest in darkness but that's just my opinion.Screenshot_20190526-203126.thumb.png.3a69ac24bc5e20dd4e6f1f6cd9747485.png

I run moonlighting till 2am only and with the prime it only runs according to the actual moon phases.