Top Shelf Aquatics

wvneds 75

wvned

spacer.pngHmm

Everything I ever needed to know about running a marine tank I learned here. Thank you all. I am still running with it. I have a 240 gallon ordered from CustonAquarium.com.

It's been a while. Jeramai told me once I was hamster brained. There are things less intelligent than hamsters and I got to try all those modes out. Lots of electrodes and things.

Ned at the Cleveland Clinic for a week.

spacer.png

Now I am better. I was supposed to die but didn't. Oh well. In fact I fixed myself. But that is a long story covering many years.

I have many new friends and am doing well now. Ya they are dogs. My new attitude is he who dies with the most toys wins.

spacer.png

Baby shower for our first grand kid is tomorrow. Lots of people and 11 dogs will be here.

The tank is more than a year old now. I run it on water changes and it has a skimmer.

spacer.png

If you want the gory details, ask I am not shy.

Live long and prosper

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, wvned said:

spacer.pngHmm

Everything I ever needed to know about running a marine tank I learned here. Thank you all. I am still running with it. I have a 240 gallon ordered from CustonAquarium.com.

It's been a while. Jeramai told me once I was hamster brained. There are things less intelligent than hamsters and I got to try all those modes out. Lots of electrodes and things.

Ned at the Cleveland Clinic for a week.

spacer.png

Now I am better. I was supposed to die but didn't. Oh well. In fact I fixed myself. But that is a long story covering many years.

I have many new friends and am doing well now. Ya they are dogs. My new attitude is he who dies with the most toys wins.

spacer.png

Baby shower for our first grand kid is tomorrow. Lots of people and 11 dogs will be here.

The tank is more than a year old now. I run it on water changes and it has a skimmer.

spacer.png

If you want the gory details, ask I am not shy.

Live long and prosper

Tank looks great!  Glad you’re still here. 

have fun at the baby shower. 😊

• Like 1

I was here a long time ago and then my job changed and I was out of town 5 days a week. Then I broke in a more serious way in 2014.

For a long time I wasn't anywhere.

There are no pics or anything of my 30 gallon I had during all of that but it wasn't much to look at and I couldn't spend any time on it.

• Like 2

Your tank is beautiful and it looks like you have lots to live for.  I am glad your health is better and look forward to seeing and hearing more about your tank.

• Like 1

The tank is a sparsely populated mixed reef. I moved it to our new house a few months ago and had my livestock in stock tanks and one crashed on me.

I replaced the fish and added a few other things back.

I have

Starry Blenny

File Fish

Foxface

Tomini tang

Sailfin tang

Blue tang

2 green chromis

2 clowns

Coral banded shrimp

fire shrimp

Emerald crab

Rock flower anemone

Bulb anemone

3 kinds of gorgonians

2 conchs

snails and hermits

Berghia nudibranchs

mushrooms

Zoas

leathers

Grape

Hammer

Duncan

Blue RIdge

Lots of macro algae

and stuff I am forgetting.

Sump is a 20L I glued some glass into for a bubble trap with a Reef Octopus 152s skimmer in it

This tank

spacer.png

Seen here before a long while ago. Had it in a shed for years.

I use 2 gyres and a PP-8 for flow.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

I like your list.  I only have 3 fish in my 75, yellow tank, clown fish, and a pajama cardinal.  I would love to add a couple more just can't make up my mind what.  I have rics, zoas, shrooms, and a lot of rock flowers as well.  I would like to add more colorful mushrooms, but we only have one salt store in over 50 miles.  I love your devils hand leather.  I have been looking for one a long time.  Most people don't have the softies and that is what I love.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, kimdawg said:

I like your list.  I only have 3 fish in my 75, yellow tank, clown fish, and a pajama cardinal.  I would love to add a couple more just can't make up my mind what.  I have rics, zoas, shrooms, and a lot of rock flowers as well.  I would like to add more colorful mushrooms, but we only have one salt store in over 50 miles.  I love your devils hand leather.  I have been looking for one a long time.  Most people don't have the softies and that is what I love.

Me too

I have 3 kinds of feather dusters. When I moved the tank a lot of the softies got mixed down into the rocks so you cant see them.

Most of these fish came from a Petco that is about 5 minutes from my house. The starry blenny is from saltwaterfish,com and 2 came from a LFS.

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

I'm so glad to see you back and in good health @wvned! ❤️ 

Your 240 gallon reef is looking great, I love the leathers in the center, and your fish collection. It looks like it's all plumbed into the basement, is that top stock tank just for making new water for changes?

Give all those puppers a good scratch for me 😄 

• Like 2

This is a 75 gallon with a sump under.

The other pic is my water mixing station. 2 100 gallon stock tanks. RODI top and mixed on the bottom. It is in an adjacent room in the basement next to where the tanks will be.

I had one with 44 gallon Brutes and redid it so I could handle enough water for the bigger tank.

The 240 is going on this wall and the 75 will move to the one on the left.

spacer.png

The sump and mixing station will be behind the wall on the left that has the pipes going through it..

The 240 isn't here yet. It's been ordered for 2 months now. Might be another before I hear anything.

The original plan was to make this tank the sump for the new one. My wife said why take it down, it's doing so good.

so 12 feet of tanks is in the works.

8 feet on Hamilton lighting HM and T-5 lighting, pumps, salt  and a bunch of other stuff is here waiting. I think I am going to make a sump out of more stock tanks

spacer.png

• Like 3

I did this and put it on the internet in February. I will repost it here. I am approaching 210 pounds now and going on with my life.

Doctors are great people. But they are people and people make mistakes.

In 2014 I had to stop working. I started passing out. I did it 27 times over 10 months.
Idiopathic syncope.

In 2016 I was allowed disability social security. That is nice. I got to sit at home and eat cat tuna and be scared I would hurt myself again falling down.
From a 6 figure job to nothing for 2 years and then SS that amounted to 1/5 of what I used to make.
Still taxed because my wife works. Make that 1/8th.

The passing out was simply the last straw. I had been dealing with chronic health issues for decades.
Irritable bowl syndrome and Fibromyalgia and other incurable chronic things.

I am very tough. I had soldiered on for years, had a great job and family and ignored the more troublesome symptoms. Stiff upper lip and all that. Until I crashed and burned.

The brain that used to hold the programming for the communication system for a hospital couldnt remember my name.

Willpower doesn't help when you randomly fall down.

I had other symptoms.
I lost my vision, my hearing, my balance, my strength, my memory. I had fine and sometimes gross motor tremors. I couldn't walk in my own yard. I gained about 80 pounds. Type 2 diabetes set in.
Sleep apnea
[IMG]

I went to many doctors. I got scanned and probed and sat with electrodes attached to my head for a week and my chest for 2 months.
[IMG]
MRIs, CTs, and ultrasounds of my chest and head were done repeatedly.
I was told a great many things I didn't have. Wonderful to know but zero help and no comfort.
One doctor told me I would die in 5-8 years. I believed him.
demyelinating brain disease. Neuropathy.

I stopped being able to be me. This is the most miserable place a human can end up in.

Then they send you to the psychiatric people. They cant fix you but they can give you drugs so you don't really care and aren't upset about it.

I stopped taking those after a few months.
Life goes on while you are dying.
280 pound Ned, proud father at his sons weddings.
[IMG]

[IMG]
(This is Grant. He gave me his tank and helped me set it up. I had quit. It was too hard.
He reminded me I never quit. That is how I ended up here)
[IMG]

Jeanna is going to be a vet. She is at the wildlife center helping treat a bald eagle with a broken wing today.
Our house fell in basically because I coudn't take care of it and we had to move after 36 years
I asked Jill if it was where she wanted to live after I died.
Jill and I have both worked very hard for a long time. We are not rich but we are not poor.
The kids got educated with no loans and Jeanna got a full scholarship.
[IMG]

What a pitiful story.I am crying reading it.
Perhaps a bit of anger too.

The point of all this isn't a pity party.
With the internet we have all the knowledge of man including our doctors at our fingertips. You must be diligent in using it. I was never satisfied with "we just don't know".
I always like to know.

3 months ago I ought a $7 bottle of vitamin B12 at Walmart and started taking it.

and fixed myself.
I have lost 45 pounds.
This is the point of this thread

Vitamin B12 deficiency is common in the United States, especially among the elderly. It is estimated that between 10% and 25% of the people over 80 years of age may have a B12 deficiency. There are several causes of vitamin B12 deficiency. A strict vegetarian diet may promote a B12 deficiency because animal-based foods such as red meat, dairy products, fish, poultry and eggs are the only recognized source of dietary B12. A lack of B12, or the inability of stomach acids to aid in the absorption, also causes this deficiency. Consequently, drugs that reduce stomach acid should be taken with B12 supplements. A number of other conditions, procedures, and drugs are associated with a reduced the ability to absorb B12. These include autoimmune diseases, pernicious or unexplained anemia, pancreatic diseases, ileal resection, Crohn’s disease, HIV infection, gastritis, gastric or small intestine surgeries, malabsorption syndromes, multiple sclerosis, and use of histamine2 receptor antagonists or proton pump inhibitors.

Symptoms of lack of vitamin B12 can cause serious anemia, nerve damage and degeneration of the spinal cord. It is common for anemia to develop first, but this is not always the case, especially if a person is taking a folate supplement. A lack of B12 damages the myelin sheath that surrounds and protect nerves. Without this protection, nerves cease to function properly and conditions such as peripheral neuropathy occur. Even B12 deficiency that is relatively mild may affect the nervous system and the proper functioning of the brain. The nerve damage caused by a lack of B12 may become permanently debilitating, if the underlying condition is not treated.

I dont know why I became B12 deficient. My stomach went south with GERD and bleeding ulcers and the drugs used to treat it may have caused it. Could be genetic too.
I will take it the rest of my life.

I feel better than I have in 15 years, maybe 20. There may be some permanent damage. The screaming tinnitus has not decreased yet but I can live with that.
The sensation that I am dying is gone.

It feels great waking up and not thinking about how bad you feel as your first thought of the day.

My new doctor asked me to get my story out there

I am going to go play with my dog.

• Like 3
  • Wow 2
22 minutes ago, wvned said:

I did this and put it on the internet in February. I will repost it here. I am approaching 210 pounds now and going on with my life.

Doctors are great people. But they are people and people make mistakes.

In 2014 I had to stop working. I started passing out. I did it 27 times over 10 months.
Idiopathic syncope.

In 2016 I was allowed disability social security. That is nice. I got to sit at home and eat cat tuna and be scared I would hurt myself again falling down.
From a 6 figure job to nothing for 2 years and then SS that amounted to 1/5 of what I used to make.
Still taxed because my wife works. Make that 1/8th.

The passing out was simply the last straw. I had been dealing with chronic health issues for decades.
Irritable bowl syndrome and Fibromyalgia and other incurable chronic things.

I am very tough. I had soldiered on for years, had a great job and family and ignored the more troublesome symptoms. Stiff upper lip and all that. Until I crashed and burned.

The brain that used to hold the programming for the communication system for a hospital couldnt remember my name.

Willpower doesn't help when you randomly fall down.

I had other symptoms.
I lost my vision, my hearing, my balance, my strength, my memory. I had fine and sometimes gross motor tremors. I couldn't walk in my own yard. I gained about 80 pounds. Type 2 diabetes set in.
Sleep apnea
[IMG]

I went to many doctors. I got scanned and probed and sat with electrodes attached to my head for a week and my chest for 2 months.
[IMG]
MRIs, CTs, and ultrasounds of my chest and head were done repeatedly.
I was told a great many things I didn't have. Wonderful to know but zero help and no comfort.
One doctor told me I would die in 5-8 years. I believed him.
demyelinating brain disease. Neuropathy.

I stopped being able to be me. This is the most miserable place a human can end up in.

Then they send you to the psychiatric people. They cant fix you but they can give you drugs so you don't really care and aren't upset about it.

I stopped taking those after a few months.
Life goes on while you are dying.
280 pound Ned, proud father at his sons weddings.
[IMG]

[IMG]
(This is Grant. He gave me his tank and helped me set it up. I had quit. It was too hard.
He reminded me I never quit. That is how I ended up here)
[IMG]

Jeanna is going to be a vet. She is at the wildlife center helping treat a bald eagle with a broken wing today.
Our house fell in basically because I coudn't take care of it and we had to move after 36 years
I asked Jill if it was where she wanted to live after I died.
Jill and I have both worked very hard for a long time. We are not rich but we are not poor.
The kids got educated with no loans and Jeanna got a full scholarship.
[IMG]

What a pitiful story.I am crying reading it.
Perhaps a bit of anger too.

The point of all this isn't a pity party.
With the internet we have all the knowledge of man including our doctors at our fingertips. You must be diligent in using it. I was never satisfied with "we just don't know".
I always like to know.

3 months ago I ought a $7 bottle of vitamin B12 at Walmart and started taking it.

and fixed myself.
I have lost 45 pounds.
This is the point of this thread

Vitamin B12 deficiency is common in the United States, especially among the elderly. It is estimated that between 10% and 25% of the people over 80 years of age may have a B12 deficiency. There are several causes of vitamin B12 deficiency. A strict vegetarian diet may promote a B12 deficiency because animal-based foods such as red meat, dairy products, fish, poultry and eggs are the only recognized source of dietary B12. A lack of B12, or the inability of stomach acids to aid in the absorption, also causes this deficiency. Consequently, drugs that reduce stomach acid should be taken with B12 supplements. A number of other conditions, procedures, and drugs are associated with a reduced the ability to absorb B12. These include autoimmune diseases, pernicious or unexplained anemia, pancreatic diseases, ileal resection, Crohn’s disease, HIV infection, gastritis, gastric or small intestine surgeries, malabsorption syndromes, multiple sclerosis, and use of histamine2 receptor antagonists or proton pump inhibitors.

Symptoms of lack of vitamin B12 can cause serious anemia, nerve damage and degeneration of the spinal cord. It is common for anemia to develop first, but this is not always the case, especially if a person is taking a folate supplement. A lack of B12 damages the myelin sheath that surrounds and protect nerves. Without this protection, nerves cease to function properly and conditions such as peripheral neuropathy occur. Even B12 deficiency that is relatively mild may affect the nervous system and the proper functioning of the brain. The nerve damage caused by a lack of B12 may become permanently debilitating, if the underlying condition is not treated.

I dont know why I became B12 deficient. My stomach went south with GERD and bleeding ulcers and the drugs used to treat it may have caused it. Could be genetic too.
I will take it the rest of my life.

I feel better than I have in 15 years, maybe 20. There may be some permanent damage. The screaming tinnitus has not decreased yet but I can live with that.
The sensation that I am dying is gone.

It feels great waking up and not thinking about how bad you feel as your first thought of the day.

My new doctor asked me to get my story out there

I am going to go play with my dog.

What a journey Ned!

I’m so glad you are feeling better and able to live your life. 🙂

• Like 2

I'm so glad you shared your story.  It may help a lot of people.  I have several stomach issues and take an acid reducing medication, so I may pick up a B12 as a preventive.  I was injured at my last job and no longer work as well.  I was severely depressed as a result of all of the medical issues and loss of the ability to physically do things that I used to love to do.  I now live at the beach and have a furry service dog friend and of course my family.  I have slowly learned to love my new life.  Keep being positive and proactive in your medical journey.  I am excited to watch your new build.

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...