RemoGaggi

Battery Backup - Any know how to calculate run time on pump?

Natereef

I actually had the opportunity to test this one time during a blackout. A truck slammed on a power pole cutting power on our whole block. I have a different brand ups (APC) but same specs. It ran my mj 900 for around 3 hours. The blackout lasted for 9 hours, which was not enough for my battery backup. Good thing I had a couple battery powered air pumps on hand and used those. These battery backups are good but I also recommend keeping a couple battery powered air pumps on hand just in case. They are pretty cheap like 9$ a piece, also make sure u have some batteries on hand🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Friendly

go to the manufacturer's product page for your UPS, click on the runtime calculaor and then select the option closest to the maximum wattage of your equipment.

for the linked UPS and the 6.5w draw, you're looking at about 2 hours of back up. it says 162 minutes for 5w, so about 120 minutes with a conservative calculation.

https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/se450g1/https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/se450g1/

unless you have space limitations, it would be best to get as powerful a UPS as possible. I would also recommend getting a tower style, unless this is being mounted on  a wall or stand side panel, so you avoid shorting anything out from water dripping or leakage. you can't make a dry loop with that on the floor.  😉 

I sell a lot of UPS at my work, so have a good understanding on them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Naekuh

keep your ups elevated off the floor as well if its going to be near your tank however Its actually best to run a extension cable to your tank and keep the ups away from the tank.

Salt water and electrical equipment is subjected to fail horribly and it doesn't need to get fully wet. 

You will start to corrode just from the salt air near your tank thanks to the evaporation, at a faster rate then the unit was designed for.  

• Thanks 1

Friendly
1 hour ago, Naekuh said:

keep your ups elevated off the floor as well if its going to be near your tank however Its actually best to run a extension cable to your tank and keep the ups away from the tank.

Salt water and electrical equipment is subjected to fail horribly and it doesn't need to get fully wet. 

You will start to corrode just from the salt air near your tank thanks to the evaporation, at a faster rate then the unit was designed for.  

this is a good idea, but a couple of things to keep in mind:

1) the extension cord gauge may need to be heavier than usual depending on your total wattage being drawn (at all times, not just when on battery back up)

- just like if you run a fridge on an extension cord, you can't use those thin extension cords, you need 16 or 14 AWG

2) you will lose access to your multiple plugs if you have the UPS located elsewhere and run an extension cord to the tank site.

- in a case like this, I would consider getting a plug octopus to connect into the extension cord so you can protect multiple pieces of equipment.

- UPS have both battery back up and surge supression receptacles, so you may consider running two extension cords, one for required equipment (like heater and filtration) and one for optional (like lighting).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Friendly

Tripp Lite is my favorite brand of UPS...and if it matters, it's a privately owned US company; granted, the products will be coming out of Asia most likely.