MrObscura

I need to chase Ph. I know don't, but...

Tamberav

Yup, I don't think pH is 7.4 from CO2 alone either. This is why I said to calibrate the meter, these meters do drift, even a drift of .2 would be a huge difference in this case. 

I also asked about changes because low pH can be indicative of increased biological/bacteria activity and a imbalance. 

If 7.4 is accurate, I don't think CO2 is the whole picture, yes opening a window or dosing kalk may raise it, but that doesn't mean CO2 was the lone cause. 

• Like 1

MrObscura

I do a weekly 10% WC and nothing new has been added or removed and no changes to routine or maintenance were made that would suddenly through off chemistry or balance. 

Its weird but with windows open for a day Ph is up to 8-8.1. Though Alk still hadn't moved at all. It's still a steady 8.8 confirmed with 2 different tests. 

Amphrites
21 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

I do a weekly 10% WC and nothing new has been added or removed and no changes to routine or maintenance were made that would suddenly through off chemistry or balance. 

Its weird but with windows open for a day Ph is up to 8-8.1. Though Alk still hadn't moved at all. It's still a steady 8.8 confirmed with 2 different tests. 

10% dilution weekly means that you're replacing 10% of your old 10% each time, I think most suggesting water changes had 30-50% in mind.

MrObscura

I meant that nothing major had been done to the tank to throw off balance. I've found that 10% is a good amount. It's enough of a refresh to replenish minor and trace elements and get a little clean water into the tank, but it's a small enough amount that it's not going to mess with anything. Since the pH is already back up I don't think a large wc will accomplish much or stop it from dropping again. 

I did think of something though, the night I tested 7.4ph our heat wasn't working so we ran the oven with the door open a bit to get some heat in the house. I tested Ph only because of Alk suddenly not dropping so it might have just been a coincidence that Ph was low that night, but in actuality has nothing to do with my Alk issue. Alk hasn't moved in a week and Ph is currently 7.89 late into lights off, it peaked at 8.2 yesterday, so idk what's going on. 

Tamberav
17 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

I meant that nothing major had been done to the tank to throw off balance. I've found that 10% is a good amount. It's enough of a refresh to replenish minor and trace elements and get a little clean water into the tank, but it's a small enough amount that it's not going to mess with anything. Since the pH is already back up I don't think a large wc will accomplish much or stop it from dropping again. 

I did think of something though, the night I tested 7.4ph our heat wasn't working so we ran the oven with the door open a bit to get some heat in the house. I tested Ph only because of Alk suddenly not dropping so it might have just been a coincidence that Ph was low that night, but in actuality has nothing to do with my Alk issue. Alk hasn't moved in a week and Ph is currently 7.89 late into lights off, it peaked at 8.2 yesterday, so idk what's going on. 

Oven with door open is more believable. Is it a gas oven? I would think you are at a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning yourself depending on the type of oven.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

MrObscura

It is. It was just for a little bit. But since  it's burning the gas carbon monoxide  shouldn't be a concern. But we have Co detectors. Though CO2 on the other hand... that probably explains the low Ph that night. 

FISHnChix
16 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

It is. It was just for a little bit. But since  it's burning the gas carbon monoxide  shouldn't be a concern. But we have Co detectors. Though CO2 on the other hand... that probably explains the low Ph that night. 

Lol no carbon monoxide is a byproduct from burning fossil fuels like natural gas... and its odorless as well.. that's why you need proper ventilation and carbon monoxide detectors..

• Like 1

Tamberav
53 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

Very dangerous and likely the explanation for the low pH that day. Posion for your tank and you 😞

It is not being burned up but being produced.

Alk probably isn't being used because the coral just went through some stress and will need to recover.

• Like 2

MrObscura

The Alk stopped being consumed days before that. That's the only reason I tested ph that night. 

But at least my Ph issue has been solved. And going foward I won't do that again, and hopefully won't have a reason to. But at least I know if carbon monoxide got to dangerous levels the detectors would have gone off. 

Still don't know why Alk stopped dropping at all though.