inTank Media Baskets

Remo's Fluval Spec 2.6 Pico

RemoGaggi

I've been wanting to set up a second tank since I got my IM Fusion 20 going about 4 months ago.  This past weekend, I found a Fluval Spec 2.6 at the LFS on sale for $52.99.  I already had a Hypargero Led light that was demoted from my 20 gallon.  Based on my research, Fluval's website says the 2.6 pump pushes 46-66gph.  However, the website also says the 5 gallon Spec pushes 55-80gph.  But, then in the replacement parts, the same pump is listed for both the 2.6 and 5.  Go figure...  I went ahead and ordered a VicTsing 80gph pump from Amazon for $8.99.  I needed a small circulation pump for my daughter's little tank anyway, so I figured I'd test the stock pump vs. the new pump and keep the stronger one for myself.  

Totally unscientific test, but I put both pumps in a small bucket of water and felt the water pressure with my finger for each several times.  Each time, the VicTsing pump felt stronger.  It's just about the same size as the stock pump and fits perfectly in the chamber.  For the heater, I've got a 50watt Aqueon preset.  I put that in the media chamber and just gonna throw a bag of Seachem Matrix in there for now.  I'm not running the stock foam, carbon, and bio-rings.  I might get a media basket down the road, maybe.  

I had to make a slight modification in the back chamber to get my light to fit.  I used some wirecutters and nipped the plastic to allow room for the light mount to extend down.  

IMG_20190519_135701413.thumb.jpg.5bbe622733b29a8b839c36813b3af982.jpg

I picked up some live rock today and got it running. 

IMG_20190521_140534535.thumb.jpg.596357af0e7f31965e83f95236a52677.jpg

I'll be testing the water and keeping an eye out for hitchhikers.  I'm not sure about my rockwork here.  I might do some switching of rocks with my main tank after these new rocks are established and deemed pest free.  

• Like 4

Nice! I love the clean look of these little AIO tanks. And the hipargero is overkill if anything for that tank...lol. I’m using it on a 7 gallon cube, and I have the blues at 40% and the whites at 10%, and it’s plenty of light... almost too much for some corals! I hope to get the blues all the way up to 70% some day, but I dunno...haha

• Like 2

UPDATE - Major MODIFICATIONS!

As I was watching my live rock cure, I get to thinking about a media basket for my Spec 2.6.  My choices were to make one out of eggcrate or spend $45 for the Intank basket.  I kept looking at the filter area and it seems to me that it is basically the shape of a media basket, but without the shelves.  I went to the plastic store here and bought a foot of 3/8" square acrylic tubing.  They also happened to have some acrylic that already had big holes already.  They cut 3 shelves for me each 4" x 1 7/8".  Total cost was a little over $6.  I'm adding 3 removable shelves to my AIO!

I cut the 3/8 square tubing into four 2" sections and used them for shelf supports for the top 2 shelves.  .  I used aquarium silicone to secure them to the sides.  The bottom shelf didn't need a support as that bottom shelf will just lay on the factory cut-out. 

With regards to the heater placement, I read that the pump chamber can have "dead" water due to the fact that the incoming water from the media side comes from the bottom - right into the pump.  So, placing the heater above the pump is not optimal as there is no flow over the heater.  I have a 50 watt Aqueon preset heater (which I love) and I discovered that it will fit horizontally under the media side.  Just drop the heater into the pump side and guide it under the divider.  Fits perfect.  I also ordered the MJ 606 pump yesterday and it arrived today.  Unlike what others have stated, I didn't need to modify anything on the pump.  It literally drops right in with room to spare.  Maybe the newer Specs have more room? 

Also, remember to plug up the 2 bypass holes - one on the false wall about 2/3 down and the bypass at the top of the divider.  I just used aquarium silicone. 

Here are the pics of the mods:

My 3 shelves (with the blue protective tape still on) and the 3/8 square tubing for the shelf supports.  There are 2 more shelf supports, just not pictured.

IMG_20190523_175200101.thumb.jpg.5e8d036984bb1e0437e8d13c9ed42fe6.jpg

I measured 3" and 6" down from the top for the top 2 shelves and marked with blue masking tape.  I used this as a guide where to silicone the shelf supports.  

IMG_20190523_180046784.thumb.jpg.8e9529bf1325f6ada11c6f87c7bcd253.jpg

The tank is on it's side showing the upper 2 shelf supports siliconed to one side.  I have to wait about 2 hours for it to set before I can do the other side.  Notice the bottom cutout and how it will easily hold the third shelf.  You can also see I closed up the upper bypass hole.  I waited 2 hours for the silicone to set, then I flipped the tank over and added the shelf supports for the other side.

IMG_20190523_165715168.thumb.jpg.3f2e75a2b81455d60fb7de00184154c2.jpg

Here's a side view with the 3 shelves.  The shelves easily removed with long tweezers.

IMG_20190523_200148067.thumb.jpg.6098f6c53d7e4bafc6aba55d21fabb98.jpg

The Aqueon 50 watt heater horizontal at the bottom.  Fit's perfect and really not difficult to get in there.  

IMG_20190523_160938739.thumb.jpg.bb7a91a53469d7ace8e7b454f542bedd.jpg

Here's the rear view with the 3 shelves, heater (hard to see), and MJ 606 pump.  Notice how much room the pump has.

IMG_20190523_200117961.thumb.jpg.9b84d60a11f348db7d98cdc905f8e304.jpg

It was a little tricky to get the shelf supports positioned correctly as my hands don't fit in the chamber.  I used the old rolled up scotch tape on a chopstick trick to get the shelf supports in.  I siliconed the support, then used the chopstick and tape to grab the support and put it into place.  I then rolled the chopstick to get separation from the shelf support.  If you do it correctly, the tape will come off onto the chopstick.  I then used a paint stirring stick to get it into the final position and then just wait for it to set.  I'm not sure what media I'm going to use, but I got options now.  

Currently, my live rock is curing in a bucket in the garage.  I'm going to let everything dry at least 36 hours and then add the rock and water back into the tank to finish marinating.  

Thanks for looking!

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

The live rock has been curing in a bucket in a bucket in the garage.  I just got home from being on a short 4-day vacation and tested the water.  Both Ammonia and Nitrites are "0".  I got the rock in the tank and tried to arrange it to give me the most surface area to add corals.  I'm hoping this configuration will work.  I fired up the MJ 606 pump and RFG nozzle - I like the flow of the MJ 606 and RFG! 

Here's what I have right now.  I'm gonna let it run a few days more and continue my water testing.  

IMG_20190603_172217042.thumb.jpg.1abf1616920a92578ab7b712eefbe77f.jpg

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

Yeah... it seemed like a good idea at the time and fun while it lasted.  I decided to break it down before it got going and I ended up adding the live rock to my main tank (IM 20).  I realized I didn't want to be married to 2 tanks at this time, albeit this one was so small.  I might give it a go again sometime down the road.  

• Sad 1

That 50 Watt Aqueon Heater worked great for me.  It did a great job holding at 78 degrees.  I now use that same heater when I'm mixing salt water for my 20 gallon tank.  It gets it to 78 degrees every time.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1