Coral Vue Hydros

Clownfish's face slowly disintegrating!

davea

I have a 5 + years old Clown fish. The last couple of days his face has become deformed likes its caving in, mouth has become wider almost looks like he's had a chunk taken from his face but now I've noticed something coming away like skin or maybe some form of rot, i just can't get a good look. I would appreciate any help you could offer, i have attached photos but I'm afraid they aren't the best.

20190521_221025.jpg

20190521_221028.jpg

20190521_221054.jpg

• Wow 1
Humblefish

Could a LPS sweeper have stung him?

In any case, I think i would QT and treat with Kanaplex + Metroplex. That combination covers a wide range of diseases which sometimes afflict clownfish.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Humblefish said:

In any case, I think i would QT and treat with Kanaplex + Metroplex. That combination covers a wide range of diseases which sometimes afflict clownfish.

I doubt he's been stung! I have no lps in the tank at the moment. The only thing that could sting him is an aiptasia anemone but he always stays in or around his bubble tip anemone! I'll have a look those medications. Thankyou 🙁

19 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Wow, this is new to me. I’ve never heard something quite like this. I need some experts here to help. 

New one to me to, I've had fish with cotton mouth and fin rot before but not this, poor Clown fish he really does not look good but with his face essentially starting peel off I'm at loss

22 minutes ago, Humblefish said:

Have you ever used api pimafix?

2 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

What else is in the tank?

2 x chromis

1 coral beauty 

1 yellow tang

1 orchid dotty

All fish have been in the tank for 2 years plus at least

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, davea said:

Have you ever used api pimafix?

Yes used it with Melafix. In FW though. No need to reduce the dose 👍

9 minutes ago, davea said:

2 x chromis

1 coral beauty 

1 yellow tang

1 orchid dotty

All fish have been in the tank for 2 years plus at least

To me looks like a bite or ulcer but not even 10% sure

16 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Yes used it with Melafix. In FW though. No need to reduce the dose 👍

I'll try this and the pimafix tomorrow 🤞

• Like 1

Just quick update unable to get medication until tomorrow, the skin that looked to be coming off is white and his forehead has also started to turn white! you can just see it in the picture...

15585513876795887013713233913042.jpg

Humblefish

That can be a good or bad thing. It can mean the skin/scales are healing, or possibly infection is setting in. Although with the latter you should see some redness.

To me it Looks like some form of rot most likely due to bacterial or fungal infection that has set in on an area of trauma. I've seen some rot that dont allways cause redness the tissue just kinda dies and sloughs off. Could it be fungal like do the white parts look fuzzy at all.

55 minutes ago, LazyFish said:

To me it Looks like some form of rot most likely due to bacterial or fungal infection that has set in on an area of trauma. I've seen some rot that dont allways cause redness the tissue just kinda dies and sloughs off. Could it be fungal like do the white parts look fuzzy at all.

in my limited experience with fungal rot I would say that it is just that! But there is more damage than i have ever seen

Humblefish
14 minutes ago, davea said:

in my limited experience with fungal rot I would say that it is just that! But there is more damage than i have ever seen

Fungal infections are extremely rare in SW fish. Fungus is more of a freshwater problem.

• Like 1

just an update on this, looks like it was a fungal infection as the meds seem to be clearing things up so thanks for the advice guys much appreciated

• Like 3