Innovative Marine Aquariums

Starting a 2nd tank - Pico - A couple of questions

RemoGaggi

I currently have a IM Fusion 20 gallon.  It's been running for about 4 months and going good.  I got a good price on a new Fluval Spec 2.6 and going to start a pico for my desk.  After much reading on this site, I think I'm going bare bottom on the pico.  I have maybe one or two established rocks (tennis ball sized) from my 20 gallon I can put in the pico.  The rest of the live rock will come from my LFS.  Here are my questions.  

1.  Transporting the live rock from my LFS.  My LFS is about a 20 minute drive.  Since I don't need much rock for my 2.6 gallon tank, should I bring a bucket of saltwater to keep the live rock submerged for the short trip home?  Or will it not matter?  In the past, my LFS just puts the rocks in a plastic bag.

2.  How many pounds of live rock do you suggest for my 2.6 gallon?  I'm going bare bottom.  

3.  I'm planning on keeping softies and some LPS in the pico.  I've got a Hypargero (Aquaknight) Led that got demoted from my 20 gallon tank that I'm going to use on the 2.6gal.  I'm open to any other suggestions!

Thank you.

• Like 1

I don't think it will matter overly with the live rock, mine usually dump mine in a fish bag as well. It couldn't hurt to bring a bucket to store it in

I've used roughly 2lbs of live rock in my Spec 3 (backup pico), I am now wanting this to be bare bottom instead of sand.....

• Thanks 1

In a 2.6g the most 2lbs of rock. 

I always asked the store to add some water to the bag with rock so there is no die off in transit 

The hiperagero light will be more than plenty on a 2.6g

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
portmanteaux

In my experience, LFS add water to bags with live rock when I have bought it. If they don't automatically, I'm sure you could just ask! 

I agree with 2lbs of live rock, too. With picos that small, the more live rock you add, the smaller the total volume becomes. And with such a small volume already, it's a precious resource 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1