Cultivated Reef

Best critter

Mr_slinky_dragon

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
8 minutes ago, Mr_slinky_dragon said:

What is the best critter for hair algae removal? Kinda want to nip it in the bud before it gets too bad

Well if it’s really bad, you could get a pincushion urchin. How big is your tank? My pincushion destroys hair algae. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Emerald crab maybe, there are a lot of inverts that eat hair algae. Just search up inverts that eat hair algae.

Mr_slinky_dragon

Its 100l, but the actual volume of water is 80l (20 litres displaces by the sand) and its in the cycling process, im planning on keeping a stomatopod and currently have a turbo snail and a nassirus snail (plus some hitch hickers) just to help cycle the tank. The algae is currently on the single piece of live rock i have (will be getting more soon) i just want to keep it in check really as i am going for a rock pool theme for the tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
54 minutes ago, Mr_slinky_dragon said:

Its 100l, but the actual volume of water is 80l (20 litres displaces by the sand) and its in the cycling process, im planning on keeping a stomatopod and currently have a turbo snail and a nassirus snail (plus some hitch hickers) just to help cycle the tank. The algae is currently on the single piece of live rock i have (will be getting more soon) i just want to keep it in check really as i am going for a rock pool theme for the tank

Yea, a pincushion urchin would be ok. You just have to be ok with him grabbing hold of objects in the tank and carrying them around with him

Mr_slinky_dragon

Thats fine lol. I might loose my seaweed i put in there but it doesnt matter, its only a sarassgum and i can always get more of the stuff!

If it's only 1 piece of rock, remove the rock and scrub off the algae. Simplest method.

Critters are good but come with cons.

• Like 2

If your tank is cycling I would not worry about it, it's just part of the cycle. Proper tank husbandry will take care of it in time.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
9 minutes ago, jservedio said:

Never trust a crab

Idk, I trust emerald crabs. I’ve never had any Mithrax crabs do anything wrong

Porcelain crabs are trustworthy also

5 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Idk, I trust emerald crabs. I’ve never had any Mithrax crabs do anything wrong

Porcelain crabs are trustworthy also

ive had emerald crabs eat acans before. crabs are dicks. never again.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
8 minutes ago, dvs1986 said:

ive had emerald crabs eat acans before. crabs are dicks. never again.

Wow, every crab that I’ve had has been a model citizen. The only thing that I’ve had that was a criminal and a murder was a peppermint shrimp

Mr_slinky_dragon
1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

How long has the tank been up?

A few weeks, i know its part of the process and will get worse when i put more rock in. Im trying not to rush things by stocking too quickly (i dont have the funds to do so) i have been advised to let it mature for at least 6 months before i get the mantis shrimp.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 minutes ago, Mr_slinky_dragon said:

A few weeks, i know its part of the process and will get worse when i put more rock in. Im trying not to rush things by stocking too quickly (i dont have the funds to do so) i have been advised to let it mature for at least 6 months before i get the mantis shrimp.

Yea, give it time. I wouldn’t add much of anything if you want a mantis shrimp. He will slaughter most everything in the tank.

Mr_slinky_dragon
6 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yea, give it time. I wouldn’t add much of anything if you want a mantis shrimp. He will slaughter most everything in the tank.

That i am aware of! Plus i am hoping to feed it on live food... so i may have to swap and change the cleaning crew to larger snails! Well depends on the species, the ones ive seen in a local store where in with other inverts and fish but i think they where pretty well fed. The guy who i was conversing with was knowledgable and wasnt patronizing towards me or my mother (i dont drive so i had to get a lift, plus she wanted some fish for her tank) 

• Like 1