inTank Media Baskets

filtration options for a cylinder?

Friendly

looking to get a 5.5 gallon cylinder tank...it's 11.8" in diameter and 11.8" in height.

the standard HoB likely won't fit because of the curve, so looking for suggestions. I'm not against a small sump...actually trying to talk to salty about an external overflow, but he's a busy guy and hasn't responded to the last message.

what say you?

10 minutes ago, Superdave said:

I see what you mean about the curve and HOB conflict, fit wise, but maybe would a smaller HOB be possible?  

I wonder if you could fit a u shaped piece of plastic over the side so your would have a flat "edge" to use a HOB with?  

that last thought is what I was thinking...might have to create some sort of platform that gives me the squared off edge. it would lift it some I think...so wonder if there's enough suction to counter the the additional height.

Yeah, those smaller filters don't have as much pull power.  Most have fairly long, relatively speaking, intake tubes so I think if you had to add a couple more inches it would still work.  

I had something like this at one point for a little beta tank.  Maybe it would work?  Does take up tank space though.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/3329559898781983573?lsf=seller:8064,store:8877777547268808752&prds=oid:14037476595826894016&q=intake+small+whisper+filter&hl=en&ei=J3jlXNrfOYLmtQWlvobADg&lsft=utm_source:google,utm_term:5099365,utm_medium:PLA,utm_content:GSC+-+Medium+-+Specialty+-+Fish+|+*Catch+All,utm_campaign:GSC+-+Medium+-+Specialty+-+Fish&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=google&lsft=gclid:EAIaIQobChMIgabI5cav4gIV9f_jBx2U-w6JEAQYAyABEgL4vvD_BwE

• Like 1

hey Dave, your link is borked...loads an error page on PetSmart.

I do like the idea of a small sump though...lets me maximize tank space without distractions as I can put all the paraphernalia into the sump. but finding an external overflow that will work is another issue of it's own.

calling salty...calling salty...come in salty!

I'm assuming the bottom of the tank is flat.  Have you considered drilling the bottom for a drain and return?  Maybe put it near the middle and build your scape around the plumbing?  This, in my mind, would be the most elegant and reliable solution.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, empresto said:

I'm assuming the bottom of the tank is flat.  Have you considered drilling the bottom for a drain and return?  Maybe put it near the middle and build your scape around the plumbing?  This, in my mind, would be the most elegant and reliable solution.

that's a definite possibility...but I haven't the foggiest how to drill glass and honestly can't afford to wreck a tank because of my idiocy...  :ninja:

If you've ever used a drill before, it really isn't that different than any other drilling operation, just wetter and slower.  BRS (Bulk Reef Supply) has a video on the topic as do many other sources on YouTube.  You just need a diamond hole saw, a drill, and some way to keep water on the cut as you go (plumbers putty, a buddy with a hose, etc...).  If you need to practice, get a $10 tank at Walmart and practice on that, just don't practice so much you wear out your hole saw 🙂  Also, if you put your practice holes in the right places on the $10 tank from Walmart, you're already half way to having a QT tank with a sump via your practice!

Honestly, I was nervous the first time I drilled a tank, and having done that now, I'm not sure why I didn't drill basically everything I've kept fish in...  So definitely the best solution!

• Like 2

yeah...guess it's also a bit of laziness, LoL!

what size holes would you do in a 5.5 gallon tank that's got a 11.8" diameter? 1" would be too big I think.

also, would I have a pipe that goes to the surface level I want to keep, so it overflow's and surface skim's at the same time, or would I keep them low, so they're hidden and invisible, as it were?

I should also mention you'll want to check the glass isn't tempered.  Easy to check with a pair of polarized sunglasses or a polarized filter form a camera.  Look at the tank bottom glass through the glasses/filter and see if you see darker and lighter lines.  That would indicate tempered, which won't drill.  Manufacturers usually have this marked on their documentation as well.

I think you'd want your return reasonably high in the tank with the overflow pipe being the limiter for the water level.  This also allows it to act as a surface skimmer.  Also, you always need to assume that any check valve or other system like that in your piping could fail, so the lowest opening of the lowest pipe is the quantity of water that can leave the tank in the event of a pump failure, so the sump needs to be able to accommodate that amount of water to avoid a flood.

You can get PVC in a number of different colors to help with the look of the setup.  Also, corals or coralline algae can be really helpful in making pipes look less pipe-like.

As for hole sizing, make sure to buy your bulkheads first and check what size hole saw to use with the bulkhead purchased.  I'd think in a 5.5 gal system, a 1/2" return and a 3/4" overflow would work.  Make sure to leave some space between holes, other holes, and edges of glass.  There are guidelines on the inter-webs to help with planning hole spacing as well.

52 minutes ago, ReeferReefer said:

You could pretty easily slap a canister filter on there and call it a day. 

indeed, but what canister filter lets you store the heater in it?  😛 

1 hour ago, Friendly said:

indeed, but what canister filter lets you store the heater in it?  😛 

There are inline heaters; that would be another option...

23 hours ago, Friendly said:

hey Dave, your link is borked...loads an error page on PetSmart.

I do like the idea of a small sump though...lets me maximize tank space without distractions as I can put all the paraphernalia into the sump. but finding an external overflow that will work is another issue of it's own.

calling salty...calling salty...come in salty!

Weird--link works for me..  

Was to the Tetra Whisper filter--sits inside the tank, sucks in water from bottom, forces up and out from top, spilling back into tank.  It has a little hook on the back which I think might work in your setup, if you wanted to go that route.  

https://www.amazon.com/Whisper-Tank-Filter-10i-BioScrubber/dp/B000HHQ712?th=1

• Like 2

I think it is far too underpowered (with the stock pump) for 5.5 gallon reef, but I guess you could try to retrofit a higher rater pump to it.