Cultivated Reef

Pissed off Acan (micromussa) collection

Pfisherman

Pfisherman

I really pissed off my acans, I dipped them in H2o2 last night since i moved them from my sand bed to a frag rock for propagation. I didnt like all the algae and sjunk that was growing on them if your curious as to why lol...  they looked like complete death after i was done and today they are still looking pretty pissy.  think they are getting better, has anyone else dipped their acans in peroxide?

3 hours ago, Pfisherman said:

I really pissed off my acans, I dipped them in H2o2 last night since i moved them from my sand bed to a frag rock for propagation. I didnt like all the algae and sjunk that was growing on them if your curious as to why lol...  they looked like complete death after i was done and today they are still looking pretty pissy.  think they are getting better, has anyone else dipped their acans in peroxide?

How long did you dip them and was it straight 3% H2O2? Peroxide will kill coral very, very quickly. You shouldn't dip in peroxide - you can use a squirt bottle or q-tip to get any algae or anything, but getting peroxide directly onto LPS flesh is a really bad idea. Hopefully you didn't kill them, but what you did wasn't good at all.

Some people will dip zoas in diluted H2O2 (ususally around 1%), but it can kill LPS and SPS very fast.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
JohnMzreef

I dip znps in peroxide and its usually beneficial if there is crap trying to slime over them like algae or a sponge.  I usually do about 25% peroxide and 75% tank water.    Acans polyps should be big enough that algae cannot do that although sponge might (for sponge you should also scrape it).  I haven't ever done this kind of dip on acans but I did once on a scoly and it did fine.

• Thanks 1
Pfisherman
4 hours ago, JohnMzreef said:

I dip znps in peroxide and its usually beneficial if there is crap trying to slime over them like algae or a sponge.  I usually do about 25% peroxide and 75% tank water.    Acans polyps should be big enough that algae cannot do that although sponge might (for sponge you should also scrape it).  I haven't ever done this kind of dip on acans but I did once on a scoly and it did fine.

i had the plugs pushed into the substrate and hair algae and other stuff was growing on the plugs, after dipping them they are still looking sad over 24hrs later.  they seem to be slowly recovering, i followed the directions of a billy pipes video off of youtube.  i wont be doing it again.

Pfisherman
4 hours ago, jservedio said:

How long did you dip them and was it straight 3% H2O2? Peroxide will kill coral very, very quickly. You shouldn't dip in peroxide - you can use a squirt bottle or q-tip to get any algae or anything, but getting peroxide directly onto LPS flesh is a really bad idea. Hopefully you didn't kill them, but what you did wasn't good at all.

Some people will dip zoas in diluted H2O2 (ususally around 1%), but it can kill LPS and SPS very fast.

yeah i used strait peroxide, they are looking better but still sad.  i wont be doing this again, here is what i did because of this video.  the first half is about zoas and the second half is acan.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

So I just have a question about this, sorry if I’m hijacking your thread. If zoas have a bunch of algae on them, can you do a diluted peroxide dip to get it off? The algae is in the crevices between the zoas and I can’t get it out. I’m wondering the best way to approach this.

JohnMzreef

see post 3...   duration of the dip from 3-10 minutes depending on your bravery.   You can always repeat it in a few days.   Also don't be afraid to use a toothbrush or other such scraper.  No need to rinse just put right back in tank.   Also, don't forget cleanup crew.

• Like 1
Pfisherman
3 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

So I just have a question about this, sorry if I’m hijacking your thread. If zoas have a bunch of algae on them, can you do a diluted peroxide dip to get it off? The algae is in the crevices between the zoas and I can’t get it out. I’m wondering the best way to approach this.

I did it with zoas 100% followed the directions and it killed the algae and a few days later they were open pretty as ever.  My acans i regret doing this to, they seem to be slowly recovering but i will not be doing this with any coral other than zoas again.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
31 minutes ago, JohnMzreef said:

see post 3...   duration of the dip from 3-10 minutes depending on your bravery.   You can always repeat it in a few days.   Also don't be afraid to use a toothbrush or other such scraper.  No need to rinse just put right back in tank.   Also, don't forget cleanup crew.

I’m always afraid to use a scraper or a toothbrush bc zoas have such delicate flesh. I’m afraid of scratching them bad or hurting them. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I’m always afraid to use a scraper or a toothbrush bc zoas have such delicate flesh. I’m afraid of scratching them bad or hurting them. 

I was too, I used an Exacto knife to pry a bug off a polyp and cut it slightly (nearly decapitated it) and both sections are growing now. Seem pretty hardy

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, Ratvan said:

I was too, I used an Exacto knife to pry a bug off a polyp and cut it slightly (nearly decapitated it) and both sections are growing now. Seem pretty hardy

Hm, I didn’t know that🤔

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Do you have to buy a specific peroxide, or can you use regular peroxide that people use on cuts and scrapes, and just dilute it?

Like you can use this correct?

48F0B802-F864-4310-B5D2-262D416F8A67.png

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Do you have to buy a specific peroxide, or can you use regular peroxide that people use on cuts and scrapes, and just dilute it?

Like you can use this correct?

48F0B802-F864-4310-B5D2-262D416F8A67.png

That's the stuff

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

That's the stuff

Do you use straight peroxide, or dilute it? And how long do I dip the zoas?

I used to dose peroxide,just a few drops every couple of days. I would also dip everything in a 50/50 solution. Seemed to help with simple algae's but did not have any affect on Bryopsis. 

The Acan's will recover quickly,give them time. Spot feed them with amino's and meaty foods to help them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I went OTT. So used a large point to rough up all the areas of algae that I wanted to die. I then put straight peroxide on those areas using a q tip. Left it a minute. I then dipped in a 1:4 mix of peroxide to water. 

Dipped and scrubbed the area for a minute, then swished and basted for another 3-4. RODI dip and rinse and baste. Back in tank. 

Still too early to tell how they turn out

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
8 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

@EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I went OTT. So used a large point to rough up all the areas of algae that I wanted to die. I then put straight peroxide on those areas using a q tip. Left it a minute. I then dipped in a 1:4 mix of peroxide to water. 

Dipped and scrubbed the area for a minute, then swished and basted for another 3-4. RODI dip and rinse and baste. Back in tank. 

Still too early to tell how they turn out

I just dipped mine and rinsed them off with tank water. They aren’t looking super hot right now, but hopefully they are just pissed and will get better

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, Pfisherman said:

that is a perfect plug for peroxide diping

How is it perfect for that? I’m sorry, I’m just a noobie when it comes to this

Pfisherman

I fed last night and they all took food, the lights just turned on about 20 minutes ago so I will update soon.

3 hours ago, Ratvan said:

@Pfisherman how are they looking today?

2 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

+1

2 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

+1

Pfisherman

okay so it seems like there was possibly some tissue damage, especially on the single polyp frags, which sucks the most because the single polyp frags are the ones that cost the most!  But all in all i know that they will be okay in a few more days. lesson learned, ask questions before doing something new.  I have been reefing for 7-8 years but have never tried this and it just goes to show that even folks who are somewhat experienced can make pretty big mistakes.