kidninja

Tank overheating. HELP

kidninja

So i have an innovative marine 10 and 20, both have been running really hot and its not even the summer yet! tanks have been reaching 80s and ive had to turn off the heater in both. Both tanks are running LEDs, 20 gallon has the china black box and the other has a kessil. What are you using to keep the tank cooler? im probs going to buy a clip on fan of some sort as a temp... solution.

chawalte-qcvux5

When you say running hot what is the actual temp? How much of a temp swing do you get through out the day? What is your heater set on?

My tank for example runs at 81 degrees throughout the day with the lights on... my heater was set at 78. To combat the 3 degree swing I bumped my heater to 80. This allows only a one degree swing between night/day.

• Like 1

Clown79

What heaters are you running?

I had an issue once in the summer with my 10g going up slightly. I ran a fan in the room until the AC went on.

A controller like the inkbird can help.

• Like 1

Christopher Marks

What kind of heaters are you using? Not all heaters have sophisticated thermostats, many are meant to be run only when ambient room temps are 72-73°F. An Inkbird 308 controller can help solve this issue, as @Clown79 suggested. It acts as a more precise thermostat for your heater, and it also has an outlet that you can plug a cooling fan into that can turn on your the Inkbird detects a temperate above what you've set. I use a small 4w USB powered desktop fan to cool my pico reef.

Do your aquariums have lids on them? Increased tank surface airflow can help with cooling as well, but you'll need to compensate by increasing your freshwater top off as it will evaporate faster.

• Like 1

kidninja

Bought a cheap fan and temps dropping slightly. Both tanks running with Eheim 50w heaters. I have them turned off for the past couple of days

46976550835_673e71f47e_c.jpg