ReefCleaners.org

2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

You're planning to keep these three for one of your tanks?

I don't know yet.  I've kept Eddie (the one which beat the odds and survived).  He's now full grown.  I call him a he, but it's not always that easy to decipher which sex they are.

I'll probably end up selling this trio, as the LFS asked me for more the last time I went there to buy food.  However, it'll probably be sometime around the holidays before that happens (so I have time to change my mind).

I suspect there were more like a dozen that the male was holding, but only so many ended up in the overflow.  Since I'm not actively trying to breed these, I haven't gone that far out of my way to make sure I rescue them all.  I'm pretty sure the clownfish pair (or even the parents) are feasting on the rest.  Still it feels good to rescue the ones which find sanctuary.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

081520a.jpg

This has been the setup since day 1.  I haven't cleaned it yet, or done a water change.  Probably should do some maintenance. :blush:

081520b.jpg

Here's the trio.  They seem to be doing well (besides their dirty tank).  I've abandoned the brine shrimp hatchery and have been solely feeding decapsulated brine shrimp eggs.  Many of the uneaten eggs end up hatching in the nursery (as I can see them swimming around).  Feeding just the eggs saves a good amount of time.  I feel that they are getting large enough, that I might try transitioning them to frozen food soon.

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The trio of babies are doing well.  Here is the father with another mouthful of babies (which should be released any time now).

082720a.jpg

Note the male clownfish in the bottom right (with eggs that should hatch tonight).

• Like 9
  • Wow 2

I found a couple of babies in the overflow this afternoon.  I don't have a tank ready for them, so I put them in the tank with the trio of juveniles.  The babies are too large to be swallowed whole by the others; however, I'm not sure about harassment.  They have seen each other and have appeared relatively disinterested in each other.  Plus, everyone should be able to eat the brine shrimp eggs, and the recently hatched brine shrimp.

It's kind of an experiment.  Not sure if it will turn out alright or not. :unsure:

There might be more, I haven't fed the main tank yet, so I'm not sure if the male is eating again (or if he has more babies in his mouth).  Generally there are more than a dozen babies.  I just try to save the ones that end up in the overflow.  I'm sure that more get consumed than which make it into the overflow.

Sorry, the glass is super dirty right now, so it's almost impossible to get a good picture right now.  I'll keep you all updated.

• Like 6

So the adult male cardinalfish ate tonight, so no more babies in his mouth.  However, I did see a baby still hiding in the 100 gallon tank.  There would be no way for me to catch it, so I'll keep checking the overflows.  Also, I did feed the hundred gallon some decapsulated brine shrimp eggs tonight.

• Like 4

I assume the baby which I saw in the 100 gallon tank was eaten by another fish, 'cause I haven't found it in the overflows.  But on the brighter side, the three older cardinalfish started eating frozen cyclops (which is handy).  Also, the two little babies seem to be doing fine.  Who'd of thunk it?

• Like 4

I'm not sure if it was the baby I saw in the caulerpa algae, but I found a baby in the sump today.  It's kind of hard to imagine with all the pumps not having any guards on them.  Anyway, I fished it out and it's now in with the others. :smilie:

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

I've been placing a few small bits of mysis in the nursery lately.  Today I noticed that one of the older juveniles was aggressively eating them.  I'm not sure about the others; I left them alone so as not to startle them (plus, I had other stuff going on).  But when one of them starts, the others eventually pick up on it being OK.

It's nice that it's on frozen mysis now.  Once they get to that point, they seem bullet proof.  It's still a little small to sell to the LFS, but maybe in a few more weeks.

Also, the baby I fished out of the sump is way behind the other two in development.  It's amazing what a couple of days outside the nursery really hampered it.

• Like 4
Christopher Marks

This has been fun to follow along with! You've been captive breeding banggai cardinals for over a year now, in a land locked place no less, that's pretty awesome.

That baby from the sump should be named Lucky!

• Like 5

:sad:  One of the babies jumped last night.  I looked all around for it in the tank and couldn't find it.  Plus, I couldn't see it on the bottom either.  I was thinking that a nassarius snail made a meal out of it.  Then I looked on the floor, around the stand, and saw it.  I wouldn't think they would be good jumpers; and I've never had one jump on me before.

• Sad 5

Aw, poor lil guy. Time to tighten that lid, I guess. 

A lot of fish can jump more than it seems like they ought to be able to. Even freshwater bettas, perpetually wearing wedding dresses, can get some impressive height. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey @debbeach13, I don't believe I've stated it in this thread (maybe you saw it in my 100 gallon thread), but I plan on selling my breeding pair of cardinalfish to my LFS after the male releases this batch of babies.  I've really enjoyed saving these guys, and feel good about supplying more fish than I've purchased over the years.  And although I've become much more efficient at raising them, it's still requires time, food, tanks, etc.

So anyway, I can cross this off of my aquatic bucket list.  But I'll try and save this last batch.  I do, however, plan to try to raise a clutch of clownfish.  So maybe you all can follow along in my misadventures of raising clownfish fry.

• Like 3

I did see your plans and get it.

1 hour ago, seabass said:

although I've become much more efficient at raising them, it's still requires time, food, tanks, etc.

It has been fun watching the babies. I am looking forward to following the clown fish babies. I know it will require even more of your time and resources.

• Like 4

I saved six babies last evening.

But when I went to feed the parents, the male was kind of just floating (upright) on the top.  He didn't seem to be breathing heavily, but I knew this wasn't good (as this isn't a normal behavior of theirs).  Obviously he didn't eat, and died a few hours later.

He was a good father, taking care of his babies, even to his own demise.  From what I've read, they have both lived a relatively long life for a breeding pair of their species.  But I'm guessing that his frequent periods of fasting eventually took a toll on him.

So this will be the last batch.  I suppose I'll end up selling them in April.

• Sad 6
Christopher Marks

Oh no, sorry to hear @seabass 😞 

This has been a fascinating journey to follow along with, so many hatchlings in the past year. It's awesome you've been able to send them off to other hobbyists, by way of your LFS. All things must come to an end one day, I suppose.

I look forward to seeing you raise some clownfish fry moving forward, you're well practiced in this now!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Aw, poor dude. I almost wonder if he had a heart attack. His belly looks pinched in the picture, but he doesn't look emaciated enough to have just starved. So it makes sense that something else (probably encouraged by all the going without food) got him. 

At least he produced tons of babies, most of which probably won't be eaten by predators. If he'd been conscious enough to understand things, I'm sure he'd be proud of himself. 

• Like 4