Top Shelf Aquatics

Clown Goby before or after clown pair

Alex64

Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a few months and have finally taken the plunge setting up a new Fluval EVO 13.5.

I've read and read on stocking and I've decided to go with a clown pair. I know some people will say not for a this tank but then every good example of an EVO on here, or on insta has a clown pair + one or two more fish. I'd planned on getting a pair of very small tank bred false perc and then waiting six months to see how everything settled before maybe getting a small goby (likely a clown goby) to complete the stocking. 

However, a few posts have been put up recently about aggressive females in a clown pair so I was wondering if I should be thinking of getting the goby first.

So my question to all you esteemed people is if you were stocking a clown pair and a clown goby in a 13.5 gallon tank what order would you add the fish?

Thanks,

Alex

5 hours ago, Alex64 said:

Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a few months and have finally taken the plunge setting up a new Fluval EVO 13.5.

I've read and read on stocking and I've decided to go with a clown pair. I know some people will say not for a this tank but then every good example of an EVO on here, or on insta has a clown pair + one or two more fish. I'd planned on getting a pair of very small tank bred false perc and then waiting six months to see how everything settled before maybe getting a small goby (likely a clown goby) to complete the stocking. 

However, a few posts have been put up recently about aggressive females in a clown pair so I was wondering if I should be thinking of getting the goby first.

So my question to all you esteemed people is if you were stocking a clown pair and a clown goby in a 13.5 gallon tank what order would you add the fish?

Thanks,

Alex

Female clowns by nature are very bossy and pushy, it's their job to be. Lol.

Some can get very aggressive, while others not so bad. 

Mine has been more aggressive with me than any other fish I have added.

Its safest to add the goby before the clowns.

• Like 5
pricewayne

Yep, I’d start with the goby first. I’ve got 2 clowns in my Evo (also my first sw fish/tank) and they’ve been wonderful to watch — though I suspect I’d have a really difficult time adding any other fish at this point.

Mine aren’t paired and so my male sticks to the front of the tank and my female sticks to her BTA. If the tank had more space, I wouldn’t be too terribly worried as the female seems only aggressive when *anything* comes near the BTA. It’s quite cute when it’s a hermit crawling by and she bats her tail at them... another fish and I suspect she’d have a full out chase down. Alllllso, wish I’d have looked for an already mated pair or only have added one clown. The bickering can be stressful if they aren’t paired, and if they don’t ultimately pair up, you’ve got two territorial fish taking up more real estate in a small tank 😕 that said - I do love both of my clowns!

• Thanks 1