SaltCritters.com

Aptasia removal from frag disk

Was giving my tank a good look over, and noticed a single small aptasia poking its head out from under the superglue my Duncan frag is attached at the frag disk Should be a simple removal, I can soak the plug and glue in whatever works, without the flesh of the frag getting touched.

What works best, I was thinking hydrogen peroxide. As the coral will be out of the water, I'd like to use whatever works fastest. Should I glue over the area to make sure any part of this doesn't spread? This is my first time dealing with aptasia.

pricewayne
13 minutes ago, Garf said:

Was giving my tank a good look over, and noticed a single small aptasia poking its head out from under the superglue my Duncan frag is attached at the frag disk Should be a simple removal, I can soak the plug and glue in whatever works, without the flesh of the frag getting touched.

What works best, I was thinking hydrogen peroxide. As the coral will be out of the water, I'd like to use whatever works fastest. Should I glue over the area to make sure any part of this doesn't spread? This is my first time dealing with aptasia.

May just carefully remove the Duncan from that plug entirely... prob best bet.

1 minute ago, pricewayne said:

May just carefully remove the Duncan from that plug entirely... prob best bet.

Bah, that would be too easy, lol. Would also open up the areas I can place the frag, had to really work it into my largest Crack on that rock.

Sometimes it is hard to see the forest when you focus on a tree...  

• Haha 1
pricewayne
10 minutes ago, Garf said:

Bah, that would be too easy, lol. Would also open up the areas I can place the frag, had to really work it into my largest Crack on that rock.

Sometimes it is hard to see the forest when you focus on a tree...  

Wise words!! I try to remove all my frags from their plugs unless I can completely hide the plug. Actually have a Duncan in my pico that needs its plug removed... hoping a careful hand and a sharp razor blade will get the job done. I’ve read their skeletons are fragile under the skin of their base so just be careful not to crack it 😬

• Like 2
On 5/18/2019 at 12:30 AM, pricewayne said:

Wise words!! I try to remove all my frags from their plugs unless I can completely hide the plug. Actually have a Duncan in my pico that needs its plug removed... hoping a careful hand and a sharp razor blade will get the job done. I’ve read their skeletons are fragile under the skin of their base so just be careful not to crack it 😬

Thanks, I just grabbed the base down low and gave it a wiggle. Was careful to not do it too hard, was backing off when I felt it give. Was a clean separation from the glue. I don't think he liked being moved around so much, a day and a half later he still looks like a broccoli crown.

• Like 1
pricewayne
17 minutes ago, Garf said:

Thanks, I just grabbed the base down low and gave it a wiggle. Was careful to not do it too hard, was backing off when I felt it give. Was a clean separation from the glue. I don't think he liked being moved around so much, a day and a half later he still looks like a broccoli crown.

Nice, I'm sure it just needs few days to settle back in -- duncans are pretty hardy. And no more aiptasia!!

• Like 1