Top Shelf Aquatics

Does brown algae thrive more on nitrates or phosphates?

joshvollberg

joshvollberg

Please read

In my reef tank (3 years old), I have a greenish/brownish dusting on the glass, sand, and rocks. This is the only algae I am facing currently. I know this algae is not caused from a silica source because I use RODI water so it must be from phosphate. To decrease phosphate I am using Phosguard in my filter sock and rinsing foods with RODI before I feed the tank. Do you think brown algae is caused by nitrates too? My nitrates are between 10-12 so I’ve begun to increase my water changes to 20% weekly to get them down. However, I thought brown algae(diatoms) survived mainly off phosphates and silicates.

Josh

Silica can be found in a lot of things, not just water. Sand and rocks too.

Personal observation. 

I have had algae breakout with 0 phos and nitrates at 10.

Both my tanks currently have high phos and neither has algae, I had more algae when my phos sat at 0.

There is a balance between both phos and nitrates.

Nitrates at 10 is not high.

Rinsing food prior to feeding removes alot of the good stuff in it.

Having nutrients is not a bad thing, new research shows the benefits of it, that even in the ocean in areas where corals are blooming there is nutrients in the water and not at the "perfect" levels we discuss within the hobby.

Tons of tanks out there running higher than recommended levels that are gorgeous.

Do you test phos? Its important to test phos while using phosphate reducers or you can strip the tank quite easily and run into other problems.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

more water circulation - i had the same issue in my 10 gallon nano, added another wave maker - all clear in a week, plus my lps bloomed with more current.

• Like 1

I agree with Clown79.  Tanks can run with higher nitrates and phosphates than often what is prescribed in the hobby.  My own tank's nitrates are around 30 and phosphates are at 1 which is considered quite high and yet I have no unwanted algae except some bubble algae and its not in plague proportions.  My tank is a mixed reef with macro algaes so they need those high nutrients for growth so I don't necessarily recommend that you run yours that high. 

However you want a small amount of PO4 if your nitrates are 10 ppm, maybe around .3 ppm.  If the coral are browning out then the PO4 is too high, but if they are pale then the nutrients are too few.  Its all about balance.

• Like 1
On 6/3/2019 at 8:06 AM, vlangel said:

I agree with Clown79.  Tanks can run with higher nitrates and phosphates than often what is prescribed in the hobby.  My own tank's nitrates are around 30 and phosphates are at 1 which is considered quite high and yet I have no unwanted algae except some bubble algae and its not in plague proportions.  My tank is a mixed reef with macro algaes so they need those high nutrients for growth so I don't necessarily recommend that you run yours that high. 

However you want a small amount of PO4 if your nitrates are 10 ppm, maybe around .3 ppm.  If the coral are browning out then the PO4 is too high, but if they are pale then the nutrients are too few.  Its all about balance.

My p04 in my 10g is 0.25.  Even phosguard isn't dropping it.

Nitrates 5

Since changing to anemone only, the phos has been high and I feed them 1 time a week only.

No algae in the tank.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 5/17/2019 at 9:05 PM, joshvollberg said:

In my reef tank (3 years old), I have a greenish/brownish dusting on the glass, sand, and rocks.

Could you post a full tank picture as well as a closeup of the algae in question?  You might have to use daylights or a flash and shut off the flow to get a good pic.

I would cease the Phosguard until you get more feedback on the situation (and a test kit for phosphates) -- that may be taking you in the opposite direction from the way you want to be going.

• Like 1