Jump to content
dling

Over Skimming

Recommended Posts

dling

I've just added two more crocea clams to my tank giving me a total of 4. I started thinking

about the skimmer removing filter food from them. I've been skimming on the wet side. Would it be advisable

to either reduce the skimmer to a drier point or even turn it off for a few days a week ? Does it even matter either way ?

Share this post


Link to post
Staticmoves

Looks like the starting of a relevant thread here.

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

There is documentation out there regarding skimmers on nano's leading to issues like lack of nutrients, removing essential food that many critters need.

 

Each tanks needs are different.

 

Feeding the clams will help.

 

As for running the skimmer, I'd turn it off while feeding for sure and monitor as you go

Share this post


Link to post
dling

The skimmer is off now. I add some phytoplankton yesterday. Shut it down then.The 2 new clams are small. So I'm feeding. Going to leave it off till tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
3 hours ago, dling said:

The skimmer is off now. I add some phytoplankton yesterday. Shut it down then.The 2 new clams are small. So I'm feeding. Going to leave it off till tomorrow. 

I used to think phyto wasn't a good idea but since adding pods to my tank and dosing phyto 2 times a week, things have never looked better.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
dling
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

I used to think phyto wasn't a good idea but since adding pods to my tank and dosing phyto 2 times a week, things have never looked better.

 

 

Thats great news. Where did u get your phyto from ? Got mine from Liveaquaria when I ordered the clams. That not where I plan on getting the next order. Shipping would kill me.

Share this post


Link to post
dling

BTW. How long do you leave yor your skimmer off ? Ive never used phyto before.

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
11 minutes ago, dling said:

Thats great news. Where did u get your phyto from ? Got mine from Liveaquaria when I ordered the clams. That not where I plan on getting the next order. Shipping would kill me.

I ended up having dino's and 1 of the main competitors is copepods but they don't thrive well without phyto.

 

I ordered my phyto and copepods from copepod.ca but they also supply to the US. Just gotta change the country on the page.

 

 

My phos is higher, above what is "best" but both my tanks with higher phos are doing much better than ever before.

 

I don't run a skimmer on my tanks.

Share this post


Link to post
dling

When u say dinos do u mean the brown dino bacteria? 

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
48 minutes ago, dling said:

When u say dinos do u mean the brown dino bacteria? 

Dinoflagellates. 

Share this post


Link to post
dling

I recently had a break out of that . Tried using red slime remover to kill it. Dino lived, All my fish , sps, and clams died. 😪

It was a very sad and expensive day.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
dling

I would still like to know if skimming wet removes to much of the food sorce form the filter feeders.

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
17 hours ago, dling said:

I recently had a break out of that . Tried using red slime remover to kill it. Dino lived, All my fish , sps, and clams died. 😪

It was a very sad and expensive day.

I'm sorry to hear that. That must have been awful 

Dino's are the worst.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...