SaltCritters.com

dling

I've just added two more crocea clams to my tank giving me a total of 4. I started thinking

about the skimmer removing filter food from them. I've been skimming on the wet side. Would it be advisable

to either reduce the skimmer to a drier point or even turn it off for a few days a week ? Does it even matter either way ?

There is documentation out there regarding skimmers on nano's leading to issues like lack of nutrients, removing essential food that many critters need.

Each tanks needs are different.

Feeding the clams will help.

As for running the skimmer, I'd turn it off while feeding for sure and monitor as you go

The skimmer is off now. I add some phytoplankton yesterday. Shut it down then.The 2 new clams are small. So I'm feeding. Going to leave it off till tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, dling said:

The skimmer is off now. I add some phytoplankton yesterday. Shut it down then.The 2 new clams are small. So I'm feeding. Going to leave it off till tomorrow. 

I used to think phyto wasn't a good idea but since adding pods to my tank and dosing phyto 2 times a week, things have never looked better.

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

I used to think phyto wasn't a good idea but since adding pods to my tank and dosing phyto 2 times a week, things have never looked better.

Thats great news. Where did u get your phyto from ? Got mine from Liveaquaria when I ordered the clams. That not where I plan on getting the next order. Shipping would kill me.

11 minutes ago, dling said:

Thats great news. Where did u get your phyto from ? Got mine from Liveaquaria when I ordered the clams. That not where I plan on getting the next order. Shipping would kill me.

I ended up having dino's and 1 of the main competitors is copepods but they don't thrive well without phyto.

I ordered my phyto and copepods from copepod.ca but they also supply to the US. Just gotta change the country on the page.

My phos is higher, above what is "best" but both my tanks with higher phos are doing much better than ever before.

I don't run a skimmer on my tanks.

I recently had a break out of that . Tried using red slime remover to kill it. Dino lived, All my fish , sps, and clams died. 😪

It was a very sad and expensive day.

• Sad 2
17 hours ago, dling said:

I recently had a break out of that . Tried using red slime remover to kill it. Dino lived, All my fish , sps, and clams died. 😪

It was a very sad and expensive day.

I'm sorry to hear that. That must have been awful 

Dino's are the worst.