Cultivated Reef

NanoBox Duo in Stock Evo 13.5 Lid

chawalte-qcvux5

chawalte-qcvux5

So I did a search and couldn't come up with anything... 

I was just searching for lights and came across the nanobox duo. Looked similar to the stock light so I googled up some measurements. "The NanoBox Duo Plus M is 12" x 3" x .75"."

Measuring the stock light it is 3" wide but a little longer than the NanoBox. Looks like the NanoBox will set right into the stock lid recessed light area.

Anyone have any input? Thoughts? Am I onto something?

18 minutes ago, CountryReefer said:

I was just searching for lights and came across the nanobox duo. Looked similar to the stock light so I googled up some measurements. "The NanoBox Duo Plus M is 12" x 3" x .75"."

Measuring the stock light it is 3" wide but a little longer than the NanoBox. Looks like the NanoBox will set right into the stock lid recessed light area.

They also have retro kits 

chawalte-qcvux5
16 minutes ago, William said:

They also have retro kits 

Noticed that as well. @Garf had quite the time getting the stock unit torn apart though. Not sure I want to mess with that. Anyone use the bluefish controller? Is it possible to mimic actual live conditions (at less intensity)?

7 hours ago, CountryReefer said:

I would not do it. The light being right on the water is not good. One the water evaporation and two the fixture being right on top. Is an open top a possibility? 

-Dave

chawalte-qcvux5
31 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

I would not do it. The light being right on the water is not good. One the water evaporation and two the fixture being right on top. Is an open top a possibility? 

-Dave

Ah. Never thought about that. The light would sit maybe 1" from the surface. 

Its basically just a looks thing. Love open top tanks but have had jumpers in the past so will never go that route again. I've done the whole screen top thing in other tanks and it just doesn't suit me.

I guess I need to get over it but then again when you put all this time into something you want it to look the way you want. Lol. 

I have a piece of acrylic I could make a top with and cut out the center, which I think would be the best of both worlds. Air in, fish stay in, no PAR reduction. May go that route.

The only other issue is setting the light on acrylic. No matter which pre-made light you buy there needs to be clearance between the splash guard and a surface. You can find many posts about people burning sofas, tables, etc. 

If you could make something to lift the unit ~ .75 " it would work well. 

-Dave

chawalte-qcvux5
33 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

The only other issue is setting the light on acrylic. No matter which pre-made light you buy there needs to be clearance between the splash guard and a surface. You can find many posts about people burning sofas, tables, etc. 

If you could make something to lift the unit ~ .75 " it would work well. 

-Dave

You know... that I could do. I could retrofit some acrylic "legs" to lift the light while still getting the look I want. 

Thanks Dave! I will prob. be getting ahold of you in the future. I'd need the duo with the short side wire port not the long side.

• Like 1

My Truelumen strips sit about 1 5/8" off the top of my water. The ones mounted on the side a bit less. I do worry a bit about the condensation and splash, but the heat of the lights is enough to keep it dry around them. I will be looking into ways to make them a bit more waterproof, I should have addressed this prior to my install. 

I use the Bluefish controller, love it. I like the fact it has 6 channels, lots of features, and has been pretty reliable so far. You can mimic weather conditions, based on locations curated by Bluefish (carib, the red sea, barrier reef or Hawaii for example), or even your own custom location. Not knowing how it worked, I put in my own location here in Chicago area, thinking it needed that info to set sunrise/sunset times. Then wondered what was going on as my lights kept dimming as the weather has been pretty gloomy here tha last several weeks. 

• Like 1
NaturallyKait

It’s a bummer it wouldn’t work. I would love to upgrade the lights in my evo too but I need the lid...toddler problems.