ReefCleaners.org

Diy hob refugium

Kfactor

Hi I just made a refugium for my diy aio 10g just to add a little more volume to the tank and maybe want to add chaeto to it . I got a smaller power head for the pump but seems to be over flowing I thought a 3/4” bulk head would handle the flow . The power head  is 265gph what would u guys recommend for it? 

6B4426F5-99CE-4409-A98B-6BD2A2EB0371.jpeg

E5B6B8D5-B41C-403A-9836-DD8000DC1D3B.jpeg

AF9783C9-F3EF-49FD-9F30-76E8B28CE117.jpeg

Christopher Marks

Nice idea @Kfactor! You'll want the flow through a refugium to be quite a bit slower than a traditional filter. I'd recommend a Cobalt Mini MJ 404, it has adjustable flow from 18gph up to 106gph: https://www.marinedepot.com/Cobalt_Mini_MJ_404_Powerhead-3C00543-FIPHAD-vi.html. It's a tried a true compact design, I used them on all-in-one refugium tanks all the way back in 2002.

• Like 4

I agree that a smaller powerhead is needed not only to fix you drainage problem but a slower flow is needed for the refugium to work properly.  Nice acrylic work BTW.

I did a few mods to it too see if it works I didn’t want to buy a new pump unless I have too lol. This is what I came up with so far 

1EAD3287-3556-458D-85A0-183106F3D860.jpeg

700A91EE-4D49-4737-B419-787AB1ED039C.jpeg

• Like 1

I have never set up something like this, so am by no means an expert.  From what I do understand however, you may want to keep in mind that if you adjust the flow to/from your pump you can strain it possibly.  It's not like you are going to burn out the motor overnight, but if you can adjust the flow of the pump itself that is ideal.  

Once again, it looks really nice.  People pay big money for stuff like this so you consider this as a revenue stream to fund your own tank!  

11 hours ago, Superdave said:

I have never set up something like this, so am by no means an expert.  From what I do understand however, you may want to keep in mind that if you adjust the flow to/from your pump you can strain it possibly.  It's not like you are going to burn out the motor overnight, but if you can adjust the flow of the pump itself that is ideal.  

Once again, it looks really nice.  People pay big money for stuff like this so you consider this as a revenue stream to fund your own tank!  

Yea I thought I would give it a try but I can’t get the flow right so I’m going to order the mini jet dc pump for it I should be able to get it down enough to keep a nice flow though it . The reason why I want the pump inside is to keep the display cleaner looking as well . 

On 5/21/2019 at 10:18 PM, Kfactor said:

Yea I thought I would give it a try but I can’t get the flow right so I’m going to order the mini jet dc pump for it I should be able to get it down enough to keep a nice flow though it . The reason why I want the pump inside is to keep the display cleaner looking as well . 

Having the pump outside of the tank is a huge win.  Tons are setup this way, so it is definitely doable, but will take some time and tinkering.  That is why companies charge what they do, for the fluid dynamic engineering that goes into product.  To me, the DIY and "accomplishment" of pulling it off yourself is fun.  

• 1 month later...

I wish I was skilled and had all the tools to make stuff..I need so much acrylic stuff made lol. 

The fuge looks awesome though,kudos. 

• Like 2
On 6/30/2019 at 11:49 AM, Reefkid88 said:

I wish I was skilled and had all the tools to make stuff..I need so much acrylic stuff made lol. 

The fuge looks awesome though,kudos. 

I used to have access to a 3D printer and a laser cutter. Was perfect for DIY, especially getting the acrylic cut perfectly. 

I wish someone would offer me some time on a printer,I need a 5"x5" false wall made !!! 

17 minutes ago, Matteo said:

I used to have access to a 3D printer and a laser cutter. Was perfect for DIY, especially getting the acrylic cut perfectly. 

• Haha 1
  • 2 months later...